Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger Discussion (35th Anniversary Sentai Series)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Caught the first fifteen minutes or so of this series this morning. Gotta say, so far I love it. Granted, I have no idea what they're saying (Subs aren't out yet, only RAW's) but it seems great.

The opening scene showcasing ALL the Sentai from 35 years battling together ... seeing (in English terms) the Ninja Storm Rangers and the Aquitar Rangers teaming up to battle some bad guys while the Wild Force Rangers did their patent claw attacks ... it was great!

And of course, seeing the King Ranger/Gold Ranger made my entire life. For those fans of old MMPR/Zyuranger, you even get a few shots of the Dragon Ranger/Green Ranger, in his classic costume goodness, battling it out with a few punches here and there.

Anyone else following this? The storyline is, roughly, this:

- Bad guys from space invaded the Earth with overwhelming odds
    - AkaRed, the "one true Sentai" (first premiered in the Boukenger movie), gathered all the Super Sentai from the past together to battle the space invaders
    - When the tide of the battle is about to be lost, the Sentai sacrifice themselves and their power to destroy the invaders ... and all is well
    - The Gokaiger's show up, with powers already, as pirates, on Earth
    - The Earth is then invaded by these space invaders again

And that's about where I'm at :) 

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

There are subs out already, Kicky. Over-Time

Having watched it just an hour ago, I loved it, but I need to see where the story goes before I put this series down as a regular weekly one to follow. Stylistically, it reminds me a lot of Kamen Rider Decade, which will probably become a common comparison. The gimmick is definitely going to be an entertaining one, the characters are certainly not the usual Sentai, but the motifs in this series are excellent. Just watch the start of that transformation!

3. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I thought the storyline, having finally caught a sub, was actually pretty great.

These five are rebels fighting against the evil space empire who head to Earth in search of a great treasure. Seeing some children about to be killed causes them to intervene.

"We smash things we don't like. That's what makes us pirates." Great line.

Captain Marvelous reminds me a bit of Captain Jack Sparrow ... just a wise-ass and will probably get me laughing for quite awhile. Wouldn't mind some backstory as to how they get all those Ranger Keys (though I know the Goseiger movie will explain that and show the story more-so, I just don't want to wait until MAY).

Love how Green is the doctor of the group, and the fight scenes were pretty freakin' amazing. Love the pirate-style martial arts they've managed to incorperate.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This is the first Sentai series I've ever watched, and it was pretty cool. Pirates and rangers, I don't see how you can go wrong.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really enjoyed the episode, the fight in the beginning was great and the teamwork the Gokais showed with the weapon trading was awesome. The characters are great as well, I have a feeling Captain Marvelous will be my favorite though.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I watched it raw and loved it, despite not really knowing what was going on. Just waiting on the subbed version to download and I'll come back with some more thoughts.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    WOOOOO!!!! So many "Rangers" fighting together!! I jumped from my chair when seeing that. Yes, even teared a bit. ^^' Loving the intro song.
    Might watch more when its subtitled in spanish. But i am liking it so far. Cool "Zord" by the way. ;) 

8. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw the first episode subbed the other day, it's looking really good, I find it fascinating that they have seemingly managed to collect the other ranger powers from the previous generations. The intro was insane but I must admit I was a little disappointed how the other Sentei defeated the threat rather than calling upon all of the Mecha they must have had at their disposal :lol 

I look forward to seeing more.

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I got a question, i know its way too early to tell but:

In the first episode we saw that the Gokaigers changed into the GoRangers. Even the lady in the back recalled them as the "first super sentai" or something. ^^' Anyway, do you think that when Saban adapts this "season" will leave that scene intact or they will change it for the "Space Pirate Rangers" to change into the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"? After all those WERE the first Rangers for us. ^^ Or that they will leave all those changes intact and that in the Saban Adaption they will say something that the GoRangers and such are "Ancient Rangers" or something?
    If they change into the original Power Rangers my head will explode, just imagining is really kick ass already. :p 

Also, any idea of when the singles will be released? i love both the opening and ending songs. I wonder if all the sentai groups will be mentioned in the full lenght ending song. That will be so cool!

10. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Hnngh that's not AkaRed, that's Red Ranger, the very first Red Ranger from Secret Sentai Go Ranger.

GET IT RIGHT GRR INTERNET RAGE :mad 

YouTube - GO RANGER

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i officially watched my first super sentai season and i love it. it was Choujin Sentai Jetman

im trying to watch as much as i can find on the web. im moving on to Battle Fever J but im gonna give Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger a try first.

edit: watched Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. i didn't like it. I FREAKING LOVED IT!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    :lol  @ Brawlstator :) 

My bad. Though AkaRed is like, what, the exact same as Red Ranger? :p  I know the idea behind Gokaiger is that they're going to have to "gather" all the Super Sentai powers and use them to unlock AkaRed to defeat the Space Empire, or whatever.

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not really the same, no. AkaRed does take a lot of design cues from Go Ranger Red, though.

Anyway, I caught the first episode of this last week and was really impressed. I've tried Super Sentai in the past, but this is the first one to really hook me (although I would love to watch more Jetman if it would get subbed). I never finished Shinkenger and Goseiger was... well, Goseiger. I don't know if anyone actually finished that snoozefest. Gokaiger, though, has simply blown me away. The premise is actually not that different from Kamen Rider Decade, nor is the opening scene different from Decade's epic Rider War opening, but the cast is already much more engaging and I have high hopes that this show won't fall apart the way Decade did.

I also hope that the fight choreography stays close to the level it was in the premiere. I'm sure we won't have giant Ranger vs. small army fights in every episode, but if they can keep some of the energy and moves from that battle I'll be really pleased. That was one of the best choreographed fight scenes I've ever seen in a toku and I hope it sets this season's standard.

And yeah, I have no idea how the hell Saban would adapt this. The inclusion of all the pre-Zyuranger characters is a huge hurdle, but the fact that US Power Ranger fans are really attached to the original actors and characters could also be a problem. I can't imagine the producers getting all of those actors back, but I don't think it would sit well with fans if Power Rangers Pirate Force rolls into Angel Grove and there are a bunch of new faces as the MMPR team.

14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

HRRNNGIT'SAKARANGERFROMHIMITSUSENTAIGORANGER
    Garsh.

But yeah, Gokaiger was pretty awesome. I just fear that the Decade-ness is going to make all of the other Sentai teams look stupid. For example, the Magiranger seen had them henshin, fire a blast of wind, and then get reverted to their Gokaiger forms. And the GoRanger Hurricane doesn't really have the same appeal 35 years later.
    However, I do hope that the Decade-ness carries over in that we get an amazing season the year later.

I noticed that they separated the post and pre-Zyuranger teams as much as possible in the whole Sentai War thing in the beginning, and there isn't that much of a problem with the henshins, if they keep doing them as a team and they don't start mixing up Sentais.

15. dragonlord2200

dragonlord2200 Master Duelist

ok so while watching episode 2 i have started to develop a hatred for the parrot. his voice reminds me of the voice of lazar/jeager from yugioh 5ds.

that being said i love the theme song. it grew on me. not a full fan of the ending yet. are they gonna do 3 different versions like they did with the go-onger ending.

The Gokaigers themselves are badass. although i know this will never happen. imagine tommy shows up for one episode. he goes Green ranger. then summons the dragonzord and combines with gokaioh!

i love the gokai changes. they are really badass and the way that they used the magiranger and goseiger attacks together was brilliant. although i was half expecting for some strange reason, geki red saying gekiwaza
    The zord battle was freaking amazing. Gokaioh is by far one of my favorite mecha being second only to Shinkenoh and for some strange reason killer oh from abaranger.

all and all cant wait for magi red next week.... even though i didnt watch magiranger. still really pumped for magigokaioh!

16. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

Looks like saban is gonna have to Adapt the hell outta this series when we get it, but we got two years till then at least. but we have two problems Tommy changed alot, he bulked up like hell and got tatted up, and Trini the original yellow ranger is dead. But there are ways to adapt around it like power rangers used to, back when we made our own villans.

17. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

Hot DAMN!! How cool is this show. The magnitude of the opening fight alone is something I would never expect from a TV show. Was that part of one of the movies? If not it's hands down one of the best openings to a series ever.

The entire production just has a great level of detail to it, granted this is a anniversary season, but jeez some of those stunts were fantastic, the team itself looks great in action and the CGI looked pretty damn good. The mecha is also such a great design. Not only is one a pirate ship, but all the other vehicles fit inside one another like a freaking Russian stacking doll, amazing! I need to have a toy version of that.

The whole idea behind the ability to switch to any previous Sentai team is a great idea. Does anyone know how they can do this? Do they explain it in one of the movies or something, and aside from being awesome why have all the Sentai powers turned into action figure keys? Which for that reason alone will make this show sell toys and memorabilia to kids like hotcakes, but it's nice to know there's something there for the older fans as well. Don't expect that level of fan service when Saban ports this over to the states.

Speaking of which, how long would you guys say it will take for this series to air in the states? I heard that Samurai is suppose to run for two years, so does that mean they will skip the Magic card Sentai Goseiger or go straight into Gokaiger? I havent seen much of the Card team so I have not real opinion on it. but the Pirate team is F-ing cool as hell. From their uniforms, to weapons and the seriously bad-ass zords. Can't wait for more episodes.

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

1. I have no idea why the hell everybody is blowing this whole "2 seasons" thing out of proportion. If you look at the way Nick does things, you'll see that they cut their shows into two seasons, a Spring and a Fall season. The Spring one starts in February, Fall in September or October. The October one bleeds over into the next year. That is more than likely all that the article was saying.
    2. There's no reason for them to skip Goseiger. It's just more area for profit. They like money. They'll do it. Not to mention that they'd leave another gap for future anniversary season ports to work around if they did skip it.

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no idea how they'd adapt this for Power Rangers and to be quite frank, I don't think I would watch more than 2 episodes to do the comparison. I really wish I had seen previous sentei series now since i'm guessing the mysterious figure at the end is a powerless previous sentei hero?

(I wonder who Saban would have this be, the person who played the ranger seems the obvious choice but if it's someone who has reappeared a lot it could be Tommy Oliver or even Andross.)

The pre-Zyurangers could easily be explained away as teams from across time and space saying that the powers come from different planets or even different time periods with support from Zordon. Either way it's costumes rather than characters so they might get away with only having to use costumes rather than original actors a lot of the time.)

I like the Green sentai this time around, it's obviously the comic relief role but episode 3 looks to have some real character building for him which looks to be pretty good.

Regarding mixing up sentei teams, episode 2 confirms that is definitely on the cards
    The fight in question with 5 different red incarnations was awesome as a finisher!

The actors in this are really good too, I've seen two of this and two of PR Samurai and already I feel more for these characters and understand them better than anyone in Samurai.

20. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's Goseiger. It deserves to be skipped. :p 

Anyway, just watched episode 2 and loved it. I was right about the fight choreography staying really awesome. We got some color mixing and matching, too, which really unlocks a lot of potential for future battles. I hope we see some more older teams, though. Aside from Go Ranger, the oldest suits they've pulled out so far are Gaoranger (aka Wild Force). The preview for episode three does have a Jetman suit and Big One in it, though, so we'll at least get a few soon. The first giant robot battle was great, too; good mix of suit and CGI and the bit with the dial on the robot's back was hilarious.

For the non-fight stuff, we got an interesting look at how Captain Marvelous got the keys.
    Funny, what with the recent discussion about AkaRed in here.
    It looks like Don is the butt monkey of the team; knocked over, walked on, and randomly punched. It'll be interesting to see his focus episode next week, although hopefully we'll still get lots of Luka. I'm always sad when she's not somewhere on screen. :lol