Kaiju art book

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by SydneyY, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was going through a bookshelf drawer now. You know, it's a you-throw-random-crap-in-and-forget-about-it kind of drawer. I was looking for some old photos, but in the bottom I found this book;

[​IMG]

I had completely forgot about it. This is a Kaiju art book by Mr. Yuji Kaida, published 12 years ago.
    I marvelled at the beautiful art all over again, remembered how much I loved those Godzilla movies and Ultraman shows when I was little and how it made me spent nearly 4000yen on this book when I was already an adult.

I know some of you guys dig Kaiju stuff, so thought I might share :) 

[​IMG]

Anyone watched Jamira episode? I was very young when I watched it for the first time (must have been re-run...I am not THAT old) and I cried. It was a really sad story...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  dude thats looks so retro japanese. Its awsome man reminds me of the day when i first watched godzilla

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you mention KAIJUS!? I LOVE KAIJUS! If I had more $$$, I won't buy more of them...seriously...they're so addictive! Here's some of my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

King Kong vs Gojira in a ladder match! :D 

[​IMG]

By the way, the art work looks very good! The Ultra Seven art look looks particularly good!

4. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Retro?! Even the older artwork is done in mid-80's, it's hardly retro!!
    Though the shows are much older than that, and considering your age I suppose 80's is retro...:lol 

Nice pictures, LigerPrime! Your collection always amaze me.

5. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    In what way dude? Man, I feel like taking out some of Ultraman stuff now! I grew up with the original Ultraman via re-runs and I was crushed when he was finally defeated and I was also surprised to see Zoffy! :D 

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome book. I've recently been reacquainting myself with Ultraman via the Series 1 Season 1 DVD set. Good stuff. I tend to find MIS Kaiju monsters more visually entertaining than CG stuff. And most of the Kaiju designs are so far out that they are funny and scary at the same time.

7. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I'm a bit of a Daikaiju otaku myself. I'm almost positive I have that book somewhere in with my G-Fan and Oriental Cinema magazines.

8. SydneyY

News Credits:
    That was Zetton, wasn't it? He was in the book, too...
    I watched Ultraman shows til Leo, I think. I also recall there was one anime.

Cool, have you watched Jamira episode yet? I've only watched it once because I think I'll cry again :lol 
    There are many other Kaiju I remember, but I am mixed up about the series they are from.

Hope you do have it! It's a beautiful book :) 

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I'm not old enough to remember much about the older Ultraman and co. though my aunts taped some Ultraman Taroh for me and I have a few Leo VCDs. I've watched all of Tiga and on and off for Dyna. I'd like to watch some of the older stuff some day :D .

10. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I can't recall who Jamira is...nut I remember there was a "little" kaiju that was helping the Space Patrol and was killed. Kinda sad by its death.

And yeah, thanks for reminding me who the "final" monster was...Zetton! I have this PS2 Ultraman game where one gets to play through the "original series". Monsters include Baltan and Red King also! :D 

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    kaijus were cool....when i was 5 years old XD

there was one toyfare twisted theatre featuring godzilla, robot godzilla, mothra, king...that guy with the 3 heads and turtle guy, funny as hell.

microman also made some cool 4" figures.

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

:rolleyes2 

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

There's actually an Artworks candy toy series based on Yuji Kaida's work on Ultraman, Gamera, Godzilla, etc. that's currently out there. Those things seem rather popular for the most part, but they come eight to a case and half the figures are unpainted or a faux bronze.

Nothing mind-blowingly awesome these days (because I already sold the coolest and oldest stuff, like a 12+" walking GMK Godzilla or a Bandai Gorosaurus), but I've got a veritable monster army on my shelves at the moment. What's scary is that the Ultra Kaiju outnumber the Godzilla ones now!

LigerPrime, you're probably thinking of Pigmon, who got crushed by a boulder thrown by the ultimate kaiju bully, Red King. :)  Dig the Ghidorahs you've got there! Used to have the Keizer myself, wasn't too impressed aside from his size.... I'd rather have that Super Dragon KG you've got there.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, it was Pigmon! Guess, can't believe I've forgotten most of teh Kaijus' names! I was so into Ultraman and the various kaijus and was heavily into them 2 yrs ago?

But I had to stop as Bandai kept churning them out non-stop! Grrr...with regards to Keizer...yeah, hos size was disappointing IMO. I was extremely lucky with the Super Dragon KG...I got him via a local auction (I;m from Singapore) for around USD$55-60? The going rate for him (MISB) is $80 and above now and he's pretty difficult to find.

All this talk about Kaijus made me went to e9vil)bay and guess what I found!? an auction for one of him now and I think its cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KING-GHIDORAH-B...goryZ747QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm still missing mothra and the classic 8-9 inch Gigan in my collection though...but I think I'm done with Kaijus for now.

15. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Classic 8" Gigan? You're not missing much. Talk about UGLY. Do yourself a favor and see if you can track down a Marmit Monster Heaven Gigan. It'll be worth what would likely end up being months of waiting... if not years!

Not a bad price so far, and only a day to go, but the lack of a box disappoints me. That, and I have enough trouble holding onto the couple of 8" figures I've got (GMK Goji and GMMG Mothra). I'd forgotten how big he is, and I probably need a Final Wars Gigan more badly than him. Aside from a few choice items, vintage prices are starting to go down, so I can wait.

16. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Marmit Monster Heaven Gigan?! How big is it and do you have a pix of it? Yeah, I agree that the Classic gigan is er...lacking but I prefer ny collection to have their original look...if you know what I mean.

As for the lack of box in the auction yeah...I understand the disappointment...maybe that's why the price is low.

17. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Taroh was a wuss! He whined to his mum and made his stepbrothers come and help him!! :lol  *disclaimer/my memory is hazy*
    Leo, on the other hand, was cool. We all imitated his move and karate chopped and kicked each other at school. No heores told us not to try it at home....good old days....

I'd LOVE to play the PS2 game you talk about. How old is it? I guess it wasn't out in our region, though :( 

My glasses are triple rose-tinted and I still think they are cool. I want to show my kids those older tokusatsu stuff and see what they think.
    I assume you are talking about Kigurumi Microman? I must say that's very realistic take on kaiju :lol 

Yeah, after I made the initial post I went searching the net for some nostalgia kicks and saw them. Unpainted ones don't look very interesting indeed...
    Nice sig :D 

Multi quote is awesome, BTW.

18. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I think the game was 2 years old? And yeah, there was no "English" version for it. You should try the "Ultraman Fighting evolution series"! Unfortunately, I only had the, er KO versions as I couldn't find any of the originals in the stores.

Unlike the Ultraman game that I mentioned, the "Ultraman Fighting evolution" series allows the use to the different Ultraman. For example, Ultra Seven, Leo, Taro, Toga etc. The last one I played was part 7 and my fave kaiju battle was against Gamora! :D 

Even in "normal" mode the game can be easily competed! And although I don't understand a word of Japanese, I got such a kick playing the game!

19. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

You'll probably have to copy and paste the link. The version in question that I referenced is the standard green figure, a mailaway from Marmit I believe. Cost me about $50 USD to get mine, but I also got an unpainted light green figure for half that much from Yahoo! Japan - he's destined for an eventual custom paintjob.

I've been meaning to take pictures of my kaiju for... probably years, now. Being at home but still on vacation, I'm going to have to make that a reality!

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Is that what happened in one of the movies? I remember that being rerun on tv lol.