Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys (Model Kits)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by and2ng, Dec 31, 2009.

1. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Hi guys, searched through the threads and did not find any review of the recently released Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys. So here is a little simple review of mine.

The Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys are little model kits for you to assemble. No glue is required for assembly as the model parts snap on into place.

The Transformers Candy Toys come in three different designs numbered as:-
    1. G1 Convoy
    2. Star Saber
    3. Henkei Convoy

[​IMG]
    Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys in their boxes

It is to my realization, after during assembly of the TFs that the numbered order actually refers to the ascending level of difficulty of the model kits. Meaning G1 Convoy is the easiest to assemble with Henkei Convoy being the hardest, relative to each other.

Okay now, inside each box, there are 4-5 sprues of model parts (in red, blue and white colours) and a sticker sheet all packaged neatly in a polybag, together with a pack of gum (hence “Candy Toy”).

The instructions for building the model is printed on the inside of the box itself so you would have to tear open the box to access the instructions. For ease of tearing open the box, there is a perforated line provided along one of the edges of the box.

[​IMG]
    Contents inside each box

After taking some time assembling these little critters, these now stand before you.

[​IMG]
    TF Model Kits - Front

[​IMG]
    TF Model Kits - Back

Articulation-wise, all models can rotate their heads and are elbow articulated. The arms of Star Saber and Henkei Convoy are also articulated at the shoulders. But true to the blocky nature of G1s, G1 Convoy arms are not articulated.

[​IMG]
    TF Model Kits - Articulation

Size comparison-wise, these TF model kits are the height of a scout-class figure.

[​IMG]
    TF Model Kits - Size Comparison

Transformation into their alt modes is a pretty disappointing affair as the model kits are basically Partsformer. You would have to dismantle the model parts and then reassemble them to form their alt modes.
    As with my previous mention of the difficulty level in model making, the ordered numbering can also correspond to the level of disassembly for the partsformer.

[​IMG]
    G1 Convoy Disassembled Transformation Parts

[​IMG]
    Star Saber Disassembled Transformation Parts

[​IMG]
    Henkei Convoy Disassembled Transformation Parts

As shown the pictures, G1 Convoy has the least parts to dismantle, followed by Star Saber and Henkei Convoy respectively.

After putting them back together, here they are in their Alt Modes. I like how the appearance of the model kits still bear a resemblance their DX counterparts.

[​IMG]
    TF Model Kits in Alt Mode

In my opinion, these new Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys are really very simple model kits. Fun to fiddle around with but you’ll get bored quickly enough.

In terms of the sophistication in the engineering of the models, they are a far cry from the ‘80s TF model kits that had better articulation and transformation process. They are also a tad inferior to the Sentai Candy Toys model kits that Bandai have been churning out on a regular basis. (Sentai Candy Toys are acknowledged to have better articulation than their DX counterparts)

[​IMG]
    Kabaya Transformers Candy Toys with Bandai Sentai Candy Toys

2. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review! Can't wait until BBTS ships these little suckers to me so I can try and articulate the knees as well.

3. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Sounds like they are kind of disappointing. :-/

Oh, and the numbering doesn't refer to difficulty. That's just a coincidence. The numbering is a throwback to the hole-in-the-box-with-a-number-behind-it that helped kids identify which model was which.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

if these were justitoys WST or even legends sized, i'd be more than happy with that level of articulation and detail, but for scout size, and with the complete reliance on stickers for all the detail (sticker tyres :( ), they're a big disappointment for me. i suspect my hopes were unrealistically high for these little kits tbh.

still, as a group they're an interesting piece and i would consider picking them up if they worked out cheap enough. luckily for me they won't!

5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what does the gum taste like

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bleh, I'm glad I couldn't work these into my budget this month. These things sound like they would have been a huge let down for me since they're bigger than I was expecting (I was hoping for closer to WST size), they're partsformers, and theyhave less articulation that I had hoped. Thanks for the excellent review though! :) 

7. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Pretty funny actually. My only complaint would be the stickers, the ones representing chrome parts look soooo fake...but for small candy toys, pretty nifty!

8. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review and pics

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    For additional comparisons, from another thread:

Just picked mine up from the Family Mart (thanks for the heads up yet again jon!)

[​IMG]

What's inside:

[​IMG]

And yup, they come with stickers:

[​IMG]

Assembled in alt mode:

[​IMG]

Compared to Classics Ultra Magnus (far left) and ROTF Legends Optimus Prime (far right):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They're a neat little novelty and pretty much parts-formers. Not bad for 315 yen each, but I wouldn't pay whatever they're going for online with the third party retailers.

10. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Just fiddled around with mine and can echo the sentiments in this thread.

I have to give mad props to whoever designed and/or printed the stickers. I was expecting stickers with a couple of millimeters off-set. Not so with these, they're dead-on and work well, especially considering some require multiple folds. Chromey stickers would've been nice, but what can you expect for a candy toy. Alas, applying the stickers is the most time you'll spend with these...

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got a box of these from TFSource, last thing before the credit scam. I'll be working on these guys tonight. :D 

12. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I just got these today - and didn't know they existed until I saw them on the shelf!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may take a little time getting around to the actual assembly - so I figured I'd post each up as I went along. (For Star Saber at least, I was toying with the idea of adding some paint. Indeed, I may even get a spare Henkei Convoy to try and turn into a Nemesis/Magnus/Shattered Glass variation, if I feel up to it...)

13. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

What are they price wise?

14. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Mine were about 9 bucks Canadian each, pre-tax.

15. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Where did you find those? I'm assuming in Canada somewhere as you posted the price in Canadian dollars.

16. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    There's a hobby shop in downtown Toronto I go to often.

17. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll have to check that place out when I'm back in Oshawa next month.

Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find those any where here in Taiwan.

18. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    You might wanna ring them first, though, to see if they have any left by then...

19. Optimus1984

Optimus1984 Well-Known Member

got mine at aa 2010 for £5 each

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've got all three and finally got around to assembling the G1 Optimus last week after having the other two together and displayed for a while now. Kinda glad I left him to last as it might've killed off my enthusiasm for buying all three if I'd done him first.

It's a real pity they don't use ball joints for these as the G1 Optimus could've totally avoided being a partsformer for his lower arms and been a complete transforming figure. Would've given him more shoulder articulation as well if that other one had been a ball-joint too. Dunno how people would feel about ball-joints in select spots of their TF model kits but I reckon it could only be a benefit. Also wish the headlights for this guy could've hinged back so he was even more like his original toy. These days when a mini version of that figure gets made they always cheap out and hide the hands behind the headlights and leave those stuck in place which makes poor Optimus look fat. All it needed was a little hinge loop behind the fender and a hole under the chest block for the ends of headlight flap pegs.

I think my biggest gripe though is his stickers. If you're going to make a mini version of the original toy then you should provide as many of the original stickers for it as possible. His forearms feel empty, as do his toes. Maybe some metal stickers for his leg tanks and the stickers that went on the upper portion of his lower legs. 'Window' stickers for his shins (the Classics Optimus kit got some vent stickers for his). If you're gonna make something look like something then actually put in that extra effort, especially when the G1 kit seems to have less stickers than the other two and could've easily accomodated the ones I just mentioned.
    This figure is obviously trying to be the original G1 toy, regardless what the character artwork on the box may suggest and lacking those stickers just jumps out at me when I look at the model.

I like him but just feel with minimal extra effort he could've been way better.