K.O.: The death of my SF controller (recommendations please)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ZeroMayhem, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Last night my SF controller busted. Not majorly but the "Down" no longer works on the D-Pad. Suffice it to say that pretty much screws up everything in my 2D fighters.

I'm a huge fighting game fan, and most of the ones I play are 2D and on the PS2. So when finally got around to buying a PS2 I bought a controller just for my 2D fighters. I bought a Nubytech Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Controller (Ken Masters version):

[​IMG]

It's preformed great for years (until tonight). I even took it apart to see what exactly the problem was (the down tab had cracked/bent away from the connector and broke off as soon as I touched it). So anyway, I'm looking to get a new controller. I'd happily get another NSFAEC, but I thought I'd seek any and all advice from the other hardcore fighting fans here. I'm not so set in my ways that a change for the better (i.e. a different type/brand) in the controller department would be unappealing to me.

So lay it on me. I'm just not the same without my fighting games and the standard PS2 controller just won't cut it for SF:AC, SF:AA, MvC2, or even Guilty Gear XX (which is what I was playing when the button broke). Til then I guess I'll have to get by on SoulCaliber 2/3 or CvSNK2 on Gamecube (don't even get me started on that button layout).

Thanks!

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Have you tried using a soldering tool to solder the broken part? It will make do until you buy another one.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Your a huge fighting game fan and your using joypads?

Save some money for a while and buy a good stick, I gather that the Hori Real Arcade Pro range and the Street Fighter Anniversary stick are the best prebuilt PS2 units.

4. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I'm a big 2d fighter fan also and i hate sticks, d pads all the way!

Oh and ZeroMayhem i think those controllers just aren't good quality, my Ken one works sometimes and doesn't others and my Chun Li ones d pad broke completely off.

But thats ok, i find the normal PS/2 controllers to be fine for fighters, the best were the Genesis 6 button controllers though, but all of tose i have died on me also, only Genesis controllers i have that still work are a couple of 3 buttons and they are worn out.

Wanna know my 2d collection? ok hers the list(it ain't really all that big though)

SNES

Street Fighter 2
    Dragonball Z Super Butoden 2(well its 2d and a fighter so it counts :p  )
    Samurai Showdown
    Fatal Fury

Genesis

Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition(or is it special edition i get that mixed up)
    Super Street Fighter 2
    Fatal Fury 2
    TMNT
    Art of Fighting

Playstation

Darkstalkers
    Darkstalkers 3
    King of Fighters 99
    Inuyasha(kinda meh but good enough)
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Capcom vs SNK Pro

Playstation 2

Guilty Gear X
    Guilty Gear X2
    Capcom Vs SNK 2
    Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
    King of Fighters 2002/2003
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

Gameboy

Street Fighter 2

Yeah i got a few versions of Street Fighter 2? hehehehehe.

5. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

it's perfectly fine to not use a stick. I had one and only used it for certain games as stupid as it sounds lol. By the SFAC pad is great, though XB one is crap. I can't really tell you what other kinda pad to get to be honest.

Decent collection I strongly suggest gettin KOF XI and Neo Beo Battle Coliseum. You can either mod your ps2 and get the imports or wait forever for the stateside release. They will come to the US just no release date.

6. RabidYak

Joypads by choice?
    MD/G TMNT:TF?
    Playstation CPS2 ports?
    The Art of Fighting?

Damn, i'll at least give you credit for being resistent to some of the worst pain known to fighting game playing man. :p 

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I haven't tried that yet, but the thought did occur to me. I may give it a shot for now.

Haha, I knew that someone would ask that. Yes I'm a huge fighting game fan, and yes I do tend to prefer a D-pad over an arcade stick. I find I'm just a bit quicker all around with a pad. However I'm not closed off to the idea of moving over to the stick side. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to look into those.

At this point I'm just looking for other controller possibilities before I shell out the cash for anything.

8. AlphaPrime

Is it easy to mod a PS2 to use imports? Pretty sure i'd have to buy something though right?

9. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

you need to buy the magic swap boot disc. And do you have the slim ps2, I know how to mod it, I just gotta find the link.

10. RabidYak

The PS2 ports of NGBC and KOF11 are supposed to be coming out in the US later in the year, it even says so on Playmore's US site IIRC.

11. AlphaPrime

Oooh, ok i'll just wait then :D