Justitoys MP 5 Upgrade Package (Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by KYQ, Oct 5, 2007.

1. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Here're some pics of the cannon mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, friggin' enormous.

Megs' stability is slightly improved with the metal calves too, but just don't get too over zealous with those 'foot flaps'. If you angle them too high now, it'd make Megs falls backwards -__-. So the additional diecast now allows you to position the flaps lower and lets Megs pose a little better now.

And a pic that I couldn't resist doing XD

[​IMG]

Please forgive the chessiness.

2. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cheesiness forgiven, I think that we would all love to have Megatron do that. Thanks for the pics. I think that I'm sold.

3. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Just wow. Thanks for the pics...now I know how big it is...:D 

4. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    So, do the die-cast calves match the black plastic of the rest of MP Megs? Is there a noticable difference, or do they match pretty well. It is kinda hard to tell from the pics so I thought I would ask for an actual opinion.

5. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Colour wise, it definitely matches perfectly. In terms of fitting, I'd say it fits better than the original parts in gun mode - my Megs always had problems closing up the handle of his gun mode before, but now it snaps shut perfectly! Of course, the fact that the stock slides on kinda helps too.

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only way that they don't match, is that they're cold when you pick 'em up. But that's because they're metal :p  The color and finish on them is fine.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It clearly matches. You won't be disappointed and once you setup Megatron's Super cannon...there's only one thing to say to Prime. It's over Prime!

I just wish JustiToys would also make some replacement parts for MP-05 like a die-cast chest and head-piece.

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, so I just pulled my megs out of storage to slap this stuff on. first of all, I'm pleased to say that I didn't break him during transformation ;)  the leg parts alone give the standard gun WAY more heft. but fully combined, jeez, he's a cannon! almost 2 feet long. this set is a definite must for anyone that owns him, regardless of what your favorite mode is.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this was a wait and see case for me, i like how its now more faithful to the original but ive decided this gets a big fat pass because...

...the gun is just now absurdly huge. it was already oversized to begin with, forgiveable if viewed at certain angles, but now its just ridiculous, nay, ludicrous (speed) even. considering the g1 version, while undersized, scales better with all the parts, i find the alt mode addition pointless.

cool as an addition/accessory to the bot mode, incomprehensible as an upgrade to the alt.

10. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Which is EXACTLY why you should get it.

I'm honestly a little surprised this kit got into the States at all. There is just NO way in Hell that orange tipping THIS thing would help. Add to that the incredibly strong spring-firing mechanism ... well, let's just say this kit probably breaks a few toy safety laws.

When people were chuckling about the add-on parts turning Megs from an absurdly large hand cannon into an absurdly large RIFLE, it was always really a half-joke. Well, it ain't a joke anymore. The silencer and barrel ALONE are longer than the entirely of Megs in gun mode. With all parts attached, Megs now measures OVER 2 AND A HALF FEET LONG. With the stock braced against my chest, I can reach out as far as the foot of the silencer barrel ... and that's it.

Yeah. HOLY CRAP.

If you thought Megs was scary to wave around in public before ... yikes.

The only die cast in the kit is in the stock stand/base, and the two leg piece replacements. I could've done without ANY die cast (really, isn't my expensive MP-05 fragile enough?), but the parts they used it on make sense. The new leg pieces DO fit together a lot better than the old ones; I plan on leaving them on permanently.

The new silencer barrel is very light plastic -- feels cheap, but better super-light than super-heavy, given that its only point of attachment is the fragile plastic gun barrel. There are two pieces to it, and *both* of them are designed to slide over the sight on the front (as indicated by the slots on both). Unfortunately, once they slide on, that's it -- there's no locking mechanism, it's pure friction fit. (Speaking of which, the rear part of the silencer physically rubs the sight on the barrel -- enough to eventually rub off paint, I think.) It's loose, prone to rattling, and makes the gun barrel sag a bit -- but it works, PROVIDED you physically support the thing with your hand.

Those of you who are worried about all these ginormous parts possibly breaking your MP-05 in two won't be comforted by the fact that the additions DO make the main gun feel a bit saggy and unstable. It's mostly the additional weight on the barrel, which in turn causes the front of the gun to start bending forward. Just remember to support the barrel and use BOTH hands to carry this monster.

Most of you will probably keep the parts OFF the gun most of the time, and set them up in cannon mode. It's almost worth getting the parts just for this. Configurations with and without the Microman seat are doable -- and the one without the seat has nice large handles which robot Megs can use for aiming. The cannon is capable of full rotation, plus up/down movement. There's also a "telescopic laser cannon" mode which clips the entire assembly (minus base) onto Megs' back in robot mode. Someone else can try that out ... I'd like to keep my barrel unbroken, thanks.

I was curious why 8 solid plastic bullets were included with the instructions, until I looked close at one of the stock parts, and noticed a spring-loaded handle sticking off the side, with a bullet-shaped hole for loading in the top. In short, this part makes cannon mode fire projectiles ... VERY STRONGLY. I tried it once, watched a bullet ricochet all over my living room, and vowed never to do it again. Your mileage may vary.

I actually have similar feelings about this accessory kit as I do about Masterpiece Megs: it's not something I particularly want to play with a lot, it does make Megs more prone to breakage -- but it's one of those things that rolls around basically once or twice in a lifetime that you want to have just because it's so damn cool. It's certainly one of the best 3rd-party kits I've ever seen.

Final grade: B+

-XCN-

11. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With that explained then its really over Prime! Now for someone to mistake it for a real gun would be inexperience or plain and simply stupid because if you're a true cop you can instantly notice that no gun is that BIG but then again many people are stupid so my advice, be careful.

12. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    "Uh, Megatron? You sure it's safe operating that cannon? You might poke somebody's optics out."

"Shut up! This is MY BIG FREAKIN' CANNON, I'll do whatever I want!"

:lol :lol :lol 

13. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Hahahaha that's pretty much what it looks like, isn't it? XD

14. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well well, what can I say that hasn't already been said.....well not much so I'll just summarise what's already been said: This set ROCKS! I got home an 1.5hrs ago to see it waiting for me at my doorstep and man.....excitement through the roof.

I have only noticed one drawback so far....as with all diecast metal the paint comes off a little too easily on mine, well the stand/arm rest at least. Straight out of the packed there were a few minor chips and then I added 2 small ones for good measure :(  But I knew that would happen before I ordered it....no where near as easily done as the Titanium 6" though I reackon.

All in all....grab, grab, grab. I haven't transformed it into the rift yet, its 11.22pm here now so will do it tomorrow when I trust myself with being awake more :D 

15. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I also got mine last night when I got home. Ripped it right open and then spent the next hour transforming Megatron. LOL! I've done it maybe 10 times, but not for a few months. I forgot how the legs went.

This thing is HUGE. H U G E.

H

U

G

E

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's like a shotgun. it's like something silly. It's like I'd imagine Megatron would ACTUALLY be if he mass-shifted down to "human" size. It's damn awesome.

I'm tempted to say that the metal leg covers are worth half the price by themselves. They give Megatron that Masterpiece feeling that Prime has. They're MUCH superior to the plastic legs. I probably won't have mine in gun mode all that often, but the metal legs make bot mode that much more enjoyable. I'm glad I bought it just for those pieces.

Now to frighten the neighbors.

a New Mexico man was arrested earlier today....

16. Decepti_Dave

Decepti_Dave Reformatted

I *LOVE* shooting those plastic black bullets! Too bad the box was a mess and it looked as if someone ripped the scotch tape off of the corners of the box. Other than the box, I like the MP-5 Upgrade Parts.

17. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, does this actually comes with plastic bullets or a instruction booklet? I got two sets, opened one but no bullets or anything inside, just the extension parts.

The set itself is ok. One of the leg parts came with a bent peg, it won't lock in robot mode. The stock part fits really nice in gun mode.

The silencer is too heavy, though. Moving the gun around will make the gun barrel and the chest piece unlock, making the front part of the whole set really wobbly. IMO the silencer should be 1/3 of the actual weight or less.

18. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

There should be an instruction booklet, probably under the tray of the box. It's in a standard plastic bag with the instructions and the bullets, it should be there.

I do agree about the wobbliness on the silencer end, that's about my only real gripe I have with this set. It's still quite awesome overall IMO, but you've got to be a little mindful.

19. Primetime007

Primetime007 Transform and roll out...

Thanks for the Pics...

20. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah ok, thanks. I got two of these, had to open the other one to check, it was there.
    And I've just noticed that one of the hip pegs in my MP5 finally broke thanks to the weight of the silencer :(