Justifiable actions by cops? Yeah, right.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deadinthewater, Aug 24, 2011.

1. deadinthewater

deadinthewater I like it here

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Police get away with everything.....i dont like them, but we need them....i never understood why it takes a bunch of cops to beat one person up? I always think most police are punks with badges and hide behind the law.....

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Police will always have a bad stigma because of incidences like these. But I wonder how many people ever try to look at it from their perspective. I think it is easy to point the finger and say this and that is excessive. For the most part, situations like this would definitely seem so. However, the article did say that supposed witnesses could not see everything that happened. So to me, it would be fair to say that we're going off of someone's perspective.

Also, the article itself is not detailed enough to allow anyone to make an accurate assessment. Emotions are always riled up with stories like this. Anyone who would want to say "this" or "that about cops, I would challenge you to take a while in their shoes. Not to say that any amount of understanding would justify "brutality" of any extent, but it helps to understand what's going on. Its always easier to be on the outside criticizing........

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate to say this, but I'm almost inclined to agree with that...solely because I can't see why anyone else would actually want to be a police officer anymore. Go in and potentially risk your life enforcing the law and dealing with violent criminals every day and what do you get? So many people in the general public just assume you're corrupt and abusing power, even if you are trying to do a good job. If you do end up in a situation where you have to use force to defend yourself or someone else, you're automatically assumed to be in the wrong, and you'll have the untrained armchair police officers jumping up to say how it "should have been" done. Even if the facts of the case come out and show you were in the right, good luck getting people to believe it.

Between the inherent risks of the job and the attitude people have towards the police, I wouldn't at all be surprised if a lot of the good people we'd want enforcing the law are either dissuaded from, or chased out of, the career. And then, all we're left with are the "punks with badges, hiding behind the law"...which is probably exactly what we deserve.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    How sure are you he didn't do anything to warrant the tasering and beatdown?

6. deadinthewater

I've heard what it's like to be a cop; my friend's one. I respect most police officers, and never consider an entire group of being corrupt, just the assholes that are at fault of the crime.
    It doesn't mention in this article, but when the police came in he was unarmed and was asleep. There have been studies that show that people can do certain actions in their sleep, an example being punching at someone that grabs them, especially if they're dreaming. This may have been the case with this guy, and in the situation, one shot from a taser would've sufficed, not repeated shots, nor beating him to where he barely is clinging on to life.

However, good news, I just heard from the relatives that the news said his condition is improving, and an investigation is being conducted on the conflict.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's simply not enough information in the article to make a valid assessment.

8. deadinthewater

Could you describe why it does not have enough info? I am curious as to what your stance on it is.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Small excerpt from the article-

Police say Meinders assaulted two officers and tried to disarm them twice.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, I noticed that from the start. I'm talking about prior to the cops showing up. For all we know, he could have spent the previous night holding up liquor stores.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This will do.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty much my thoughts too, as even though it seems like excessive force was used (especially since they didn't note anything about this guy being really big or anything), I still got a pretty strong "he said she said" vibe from the article itself.

13. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    I believe it said domestic violence.

EDIT: Yup-

The Woodford County State's Attorney says he is investigating the initial charge of domestic violence but that is all he is investigating until a formal complaint alleging police brutality is filed.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There we go. Hardly the innocent victim people are making him out to be.

15. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I agree. Articles like this/news like this always make the person out to be the "innocent" victim. We are never told what the person did before this encounter. Like I said, stuff like this always tends to rile emotions up. And as a result, the majority of people reading stuff like this on the internet, in the paper, or watching it on TV never think about who this person is, what he/she did prior.

Like, what if the person was a pedophile that did something......disgusting enough to set the mental state of anyone looking for this asshat to where they'd have to hold themselves back from castrating him on site? Would some of you here then say, "aww those cops shoulda tased his ballz repeatedly instead yo" ? What if the person committed some kinda heinous crime? Would your tone towards the police officers change then? I wonder..............

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well at any rate, I especially liked the comments made about how specific actions shouldn't define an entire group of people, in this case a police force. I mean if you think about it, how different is this from the backwards way of assuming that all black people or whatever are criminals because of certain actions done by certain people?

17. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Well.....ignorance isn't always bliss....

18. deadinthewater

May I ask where you found this? I only found something in the article I linked saying that he got in an argument with his nephew and accidentally hit his girlfriend. I haven't done a lot of research into it, so that's all I knew. And not trying to completely defend the guy, but your statement of police saying he tried to disarm them, but these would be the police that were at the scene that reported the incident; the same guys that beat the shit out of him. They could be saying that just to save themselves.

I do like the differing opinions and comments, though. Makes you think about stuff more.

19. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I know police have to do there duty but if it puts a guy in ICU I think that is a bit much. Its sad really there are some good cops and bad cops and then the cops that think they are god because of a piece of metal and a gun.

20. x BlackMagnus x

News Credits:
    ...Umm, in the article you linked?