Justice League: The New Frontier

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Switch625, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I did a quick search and didn't find a topic so I'm starting one. I just finished Justice League: The New Frontier and I really enjoyed it. However, just like with the Superman: Doomsday dvd, it's really short. Condensed is actually a better word for it. The movie is almost an hour and fifteen minutes long. I think they could have gone on another hour and really fleshed things out. I think the voice casting was perfect all around and the animation was fairly solid. I really can't wait to see what Bruce Timm and company hit us with next.

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Agreed. I haven't read the actual book, but I loved the movie.

I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, and it was nice to see him playing such a central role.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Me too. After seeing this, I'm more convinced than ever that we need a Green Lantern animated series or live action movie (that does not star Jack Black).

On disc 1, there's a great documentary on the history of the Justice League. They've even got an interview with Stan Lee because the Fantastic Four were created as an answer to the League. Really, really good documentary. Not enough time for disc 2 tonight, so I'll check that out tomorrow or this weekend.

4. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I've watched everything but the writers comentary. I loved the movie. Lucy Lawless was great as Wonder Woman. She played it just like Xena which I think is great. It was like a new Xena story. The only thing I didn't like was how Little Superman was in it. I know it's a green lantern story, and I liked that, but I wanted to see more of Superman. I also thought he was defeated too easily.

5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

The original series that it was based on is much better. Not that movie was bad but the original books were a lot better. I highly recommend folks read them. I am largely not a DC/JLA fan, but I really enjoyed the series.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot to buy this today. So does anyone know of any cool promotions with it at any stores? Like free comic books, etc?

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

8. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    Teen Titans: Judas Contract (2008) - Dethstroke infiltrates the Titans using a telekinetic girl, Terra
    Batman: Gotham Knight (2008) - 6-episodes done anime-style that fill in the story between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved it, even if it was a little short on run time. Fantastic acting, good story, great look. Really makes up for the awful Superman Doomsday (less than stellar acting and Superman's ugly ass face, etc) Loved NPH as Flash. He was a great Flash. I really hope they do a JLU animated based on the series.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked it up on BluRay yesterday, lot of great extras, and 20 bucks. Great deal.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't know if other stores have the 2 disc widescreen special edition, but Best Buy does, and it comes with a Green Lantern figurine, which moves at the head and arms. That set is $19.99.

I liked it, I wish the Losers were given more screen time, Batman had a different voice actor, and that Rex Morgan and Hal's friendship was expanded upon, because that was central to the books. I loved how faithful this was to Darwyn Cooke's book, and especially his style. If you guys dig retro stuff, you'll love this. I also wish the extra Justice League episodes on the 2nd disc were in widescreen format.

Does anyone have trailers for the upcoming Teen Titans movie?

12. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, this was actually really awesome. I just finished it, and was really surprised to see the Metal Men, whom I really like for some unknown reason. :) 

Definitely worth the price. I hope they make more in the same vein.

But wow.. that black & white transitions seemed kind of random, and were kind of distracting.

SPOLIER

Yes Flash, your girlfriend finds out. Helps if you put your dirty laundry away. heh.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think even another 10 minutes would have done wonders for the story.
    I love these DC Animated movies, but I just don't know why they insist on keeping them so short.

14. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Bought this at Best Buy yesterday (yay for the free GL figure). I really liked the cast for the most part, David Boreanaz did a good job as Hal. I kinda wish there was more of Kyle McLachlan as Superman and Jeremy Sisto as Batman, I thought both of them had good takes on the characters. My main problem with the film was that it was so short, and that so much stuff was cut. I did make a point to read the comic to prepare for this, and now I wish I'd done it the other way around.

Haven't had time to go through all of the extras yet. I did listen to the Bruce Timm commentary, and watched the documentary on the history of the JLA, and I think that these documentaries are the highlight of the DC Universe extras so far.

I didn't see anything like this on the DVD I watched last night. I've read that the version that was up on BitTorrent a few weeks ago did have scenes in black & white though. Maybe certain printings had mastering problems.

Someone on another forum pointed out that 75 minutes is approximately the actual content length of a 2-hour broadcast slot, so they're probably already thinking ahead to TV airings. But I too wish that they'd make these at least 90 minutes, both this and "Doomsday" needed a little more room to breathe.

15. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

$20? Where did you buy yours? Got mine at BB for $30. :( 

It was worth it though, because it was amazing in HD. I'm fast becoming a Blu-ray whore.

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The graphic novel had a note explaining why there were hardly any black characters in the story. I'm surprised the movie didn't have this note, unless I missed it. I thought this was one of the coolest portrayals of Superman I've seen in a movie. Batman's voice was different at 1st, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I still need to get this and doomsday.

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thought it was pretty good, and definitely nice to look at. The short time span made it seem like The Centre finally showed up out of absolutely nowhere though - the pacing was definitely like THIS HAPPENS/THIS HAPPENS/THIS HAPPENS you know, but I dug it overall. I would've liked if more regular voice actors were given some of the bigger character parts, but oh well, tv and movie stars have been the standard for roles in feature-length animation for a long while now anyway.

19. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I liked it on the whole. Better as a film than Superman: Doomsday, although that one's action sequences were better. Solid voice acting, good clean animation style.

Didn't like the shortness and missing stuff (even never having read the books, I felt stuff was missing and pieced together). Also hate how it was marketed as a big three movie when it was much more about GL and MM, and to a lesser extent Flash.

20. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Ohhh this was so good.

The scene with Batman and Martian Manhunter:
    "I'm not sure what you are or where you come from, but my instincts tell me you're to be trusted. Make no mistake though, I have a $70,000 sliver of radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis, with you, all I need is a penny for a book of matches."

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008