Justice League of America 1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I got it today and picked the Left side cover. Had more people I liked. But we got to see most of the new lineup and as I thought would happen, Brad was all over the friggin place. He had like 5 stories all going on at once. But it was still a good read.

And the best part, he made me care about a character who I couldn't have given 2 craps about this morning. Now I just need to figure out who that guy is that did that bad thing. Looks like an evil Mr Miracle.

The only thing I really am not to impressed by is the team. So now spoilers.

{SPOILER}

Vixen, bleh.
    Black Lightning, bleh.
    Arsenal, bleh. The only good thing I see from this is occasional tips from ollie.
    Power Girl? I hope but I believe she's starting up the new JSA.
    Hawkman, I hope so. I like Carter.
    I did enjoy Clark and Bruce both giving a resounding "no" to Supergirl.

2. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

You sir, have no soul.

::p 

Awesome first issue. I only wish that Brad was staying longer than 13 issues (with #0). He's the first guy since Grant Morrison to get the comics version of the League.

3. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Hmm me thinks the dude who wants the body is involved in the thing with the new gods they keep hinting at

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Good issue, but a little disappointing. I wanted to see the new JLA assembled together, not several of them just hanging out on their own or in groups. And is Power Girl in or not? We know she's still on the JSA, so does she turn the JLA down? And we do know that Hawkgirl is on the new JLA, so where was she in this issue?

On the other hand, while we didn't get what I wanted, what we did get was damn good. A lot of focus on Red Tornado, and that worked for me. Reddy was my favorite cast member from the Satellite era, and it's great to see him in the spotlight. The flashback to when he originally met Kathy was nice, too. Great to see Dick Dillin art in JLA again (although the color dots were far larger than they were in the actual issue; neat trick, but a bit overplayed).

Also, I think having Arsenal join the team is an interesting idea. I don't know the character very well, but I like what I've seen of him. It's also amusing to see Black Lightning finally joing the JLA, over 25 years after he first turned them down (the fact that the Justice League isn't dressing up in silly costumes to test him first this time is probably helping). Vixen's a cool choice. She and Gypsy always were decent characters, in spite of their JL Detroit affiliation. As far as GL's go, I'd have chosen Guy, but I'm horribly biased. :p  The only one that really surprised me was Black Canary. I like Dinah, but I'm really not seeing why she was chosen for the team. I guess we'll just have to see how that turns out.

I'm looking forward to the next issue. Here's hoping we don't have to wait a couple months like we did with Wonder Woman.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great issue. I forsee bad things for Red Tor--I mean John Smith's future. :( 

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Why'd they say no to Supergirl :( 

Jerks.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Because she's young and inexperienced, and she goes nuts and starts beating on other heroes far too frequently.

Besides, if you're going to go with a last daughter of Krypton, you're going to want Power Girl. She's more experienced, more aggressive, and she knows how to eat.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

No Supergirl cause they wanted Powergirl...and with her hanging with Bommerang, maybe she'll join the Outsiders.

and how did Hal get it....when Bruce didnt want him in....

and Cyborg is better off with the (Teen) Titans.

9. McBradders

Powergirl you say?

Damn, I shoulda picked this up!

10. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Batman likes huge cans, that is why Power Girl is in.

11. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Read it again. Bruce changes his mind.

-XCN-

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm digging the lineup. But the greatest addition is Roy. Roy is such a great character. He really deserves a shot at the big leagues.

I'm curious though...is he going to keep the "Arsenal" name, or go with the rumored "Red Arrow"? I'd prefer Arsenal, but eh....as long as he's there, they could call him pink frilly feefee.

13. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I too am stoked to see Roy on the team, but with that big red R on the belt of his *Arrow costume, I figure "Red Arrow" is a pretty definite.

Overall I enjoyed the book, though most of it was about a character I am barely familiar with.

14. McBradders

Wow I have something in common with the Batman!

We'll be best friends!

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

That, and you both like running around at night with young boys clad in underoos and elf shoes.

16. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

ZING!!!

When Deadman showed up, I was thinking... "Isn't he supposed to be a Vertigo guy now? And NOT Boston Brand?", so it was not all that surprising when he turned out to be Felix Faust.

Glad to see the Metal Men again, even if it was only Platinum and Gold. Anytime they do anything with them, is a good thing. They're one of my all time faves.

Vixen getting a (supposedly) year old note from the Question? Wha? And without John Stewart on the league, her place there is really questionable. (Yeah, I know... it was a cartoon, but that was one of those worthwhile things from the cartoons that should be brought into the regular comics).

You know... this book seems to be kinda disjointed on a couple notes. Firstly, Diana is Wonder Woman. I mean, we all know she's going to retake it eventually, but they're ruining the storytelling going on in the actual Wonder Woman book right now. Secondly, they seem to have little or no knowledge about both the current Flash and Atom.

So... that's my thoughts. Digest.

17. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I REALLY liked it. I'm kinda glad Brad won't be staying on now as that means I won't be tempted to add it to my pull list.

The only real issue I was that I kept getting the blue text box for Batman's for some reason. Would have been better if they included the symbols.

Still, supurb all around.

18. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

This is probably old news for most of you all, but did you notice the lineups on both covers had some changes since we last saw that big group shot? Arsenal, Red Tornado are on the fronts, Wonder Woman's been drawn a little different, other middle-to-back row lineup changes, esp. with the featured characters from 52 (Elongated Man, The Question, Batwoman, etc.) being taken out or added. I liked the old pic better with Green Arrow next to Black Canary, but I snagged both covers anyway.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah i got confused at to whose box was whose...keep thinking batmans box is supermans and vice-versa.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Screw the Wonder Woman book. I'd care more about the sotry if it actualyl came out on time. Whoever can get their bok out on time gets dibs IMO.