Justice League: New Frontier

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jukebox Prime, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Anybody check this out yet? Rented it last week and was quite impressed. It's set between the golden and silver age of comics. Cold War era stuff. I never got a chance to read the graphic novel it was taken from, but the movie itself was pretty darn good. If you've seen it, what'd you think?

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I really like it. I just wish it had been longer. That was my only complaint.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:

A lil' late there, but yes, I own the movie and it is great. Also more geared to older DC fans.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got it.
    it's good, not great, IMO.

But it shows promise for DTV releases getting better and covering stories fans really want to see.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have it for Blu, liked it, wish it was longer

6. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    It took me like 2 weeks to watch it streamed from Netflix on my 360 - I kept falling asleep. Not because it sucked, but just because I, dunno... it's really slow.

I finally finished the last 25 mins of it on Sunday though, it was kinda ok. It doesn't work at all as a stand alone movie, at least not unless you are a pretty big DC nerd - the exposition in the story is completely non-existent. Try getting someone who doesn't know comics to watch that and understand what is happening, good luck. UH, WHY DOES BATMAN LOOK DIFFERENT EVERY SCENE? etc.

I thought it was pretty good though, surprised they didn't water it down, and also the animation was ok. The source material isn't that great anyways, so yeah.

Wish they would do some other stuff like this, maybe some more adulty stuff that'll never get big movie treatment anyways - DKR or something.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I loved it and thought it was a great adaptation of the story. The original story being much longer and detailed makes reading it a better experience though.

Cooke's artwork lends well the animation since it is a fairly simple form kinda like bruce timm style. It also helps that Cooke has done animation work as well.

My biggest disappointment was the scene where Hal Jordan tells off Carol Ferris was pretty much non-existant. That was just a scene that really stuck out in the comic for me.

I highly recommend picking up the book if you get the chance, I think it was put out in two trades or you could get the absolute edition. I have the absolute edition because big expensive books make me feel warm and fuzzy, that and the abolute editions are just cool.

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Wow theres only a thread on it now?
    I enjoyed it, I'm enjoying alot of DC's one shot animated movie stuff to be honest. I liked the way they showed Batman's image change.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Up next in Febuary is the Wonder woman Direct to DVD followed by Green Lanern DDVD. No word on what plot their using for GL though.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I hope the GL is Hal Jordan and not John Stewart. I'm convinced the only reason he was in Justice League was to make it more PC. He is such a boring lantern.

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It'll be Hal I'm sure. They are currently working on a live action movie starring him. So they need to promote him more.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

At the time JL came out, Kyle Rayner was still GL, so yeah it was PC. Its not something they ever denied, and they also admit they put in Hawkgirl over Hawkman for the same reason.

Given how little is known of these characters outside the nerddom, and they did use existing characters (ie - no Black Flash or Asia Aquaman), it didn't bother me a bit.

13. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i liked it. but yeah.. seems like all these movies really suffer a lot when they try to fit a whole series into a little movie. the pacing just kinda rips through the whole movie. you dont really have time to let any of it resonate in your mind and before you know it the things over

definitely works as a nice little teaser for the graphic novel tho :p 
    makes me wanna read it in its entirety.