Justice League Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He should be the next Batman for sure.

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Opinions, and all that, but Year One and DKR = fantastic. ASB&R = not very good.

He's like George Lucas; best remembered for the awesome things he did back in day and not for his more recent endeavors.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually his comics haven't been that good for awhile
    Examples
    Dark Knight 2(What his take on the JLA would be)
    All star Batman(AKA the God Damn Batman)
    Batman in Iraq(or whatever he changed the name to)
    If he writes a superhero comic now he tends to spit on the heros.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

LOL, 10 years on and folks still haven't realised that DK2 was an intentional piss take of modern superhero comics.

5. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

My nomination goes to Karl Urban as the next Batman.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    .....I could dig that.

And this stops it from (potentially) sucking how exactly? When someone attempts satire, which is what I assume he was doing, it doesn't become a magical shield to stop someone saying that it was a huge turd. Maybe it is a scathing, darkly humorous send up of the genre at the time: does me no good if I read it and feel I've just wasted 30 bucks because the artwork was rubbish and the story uninteresting.

A challenger appears. I like the way you think.

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

HEY! I like Urban too, but don't get off the Fassbender train. A Fassbender Batman would make everyone go "Bale who?"

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Totally agree, but none of that is going to stop me laugthing at a bunch of people that missed something that was being smashed in thier face like a brick and who are completely oblivious to the irony of rabidly hating on DK2 over things that they pay for in other shitty superhero comics every wednesday.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm still totally on the Fassbender train; I just can't deny that Keith Urban wouldn't be an okay choice too.

But it should totally be Michael Fassbender.

Fair enough, although this is why I maintain that humor is a vital part of satire: totally straight faced parody tends to slip under the radar because it just looks like the thing its taking the piss out of unless you're exceptionally well read and that excludes a lot of people, myself included.

Or to put it another way, if Yes Minister has been played for drama rather than laughs, I doubt it would be the well regarded political satire it is today.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
  11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, for me, it all rests on Man of Steel -- Warners needs to show that they can produce a non-Batman DC movie that kicks ass. If MOS doesn't deliver, I'll have little faith in JL.

Interesting that the article notes:
    I wonder if they would really not use Aquaman at all. I still think, purely for diversities sake, they'd probably use Cyborg.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Apparently their rumored plan is to start with a Justice League movie and use that as the launch pad to spit out a bunch solo movies. They (like everyone else) seem very aware that they just don't have the time to follow Marvel's template, so they're flipping around the process.

That said, at this stage, between following Nolan's insanely popular Dark Knight trilogy and the rumor that Man of Steel will be its own stand-alone universe, I personally don't think it's going to work out very well for them.

14. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Agreed.

There's no getting away from the comparisons that will be made to Avengers, so I can seem them trying to do what they can to differentiate things (switching the process, etc.). But it's just...from the minimal information we've been given, and now the 2015 release date, I'm very apprehensive to this.

I also sort of have to chuckle at the comment about Chris Nolan declining. :lol  Nolan's a great director, and we're lucky that he's done what he has with Batman. But see, we are lucky that he even considered Batman. And we're lucky again that he felt inclined to be involved with Superman - of course, with the stipulation of his usual "it'll be realistic and dark and grounded and whatever". His "realistic" approach was great for Batman. I'm a bit iffy with what he and Snyder plan to do "realistically" with MoS (it's Superman, for pete's sake. What's gonna' happen? Is Darkseid going to be an international terrorist with no alien or super powers?). And with all of that, I really can't see him being comfortable with JL unless he could do his "gritty realistic"-thang. Which sort of defeats the purpose of the entire premise of the JL.

But hey, I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This movie is going to fail because Warner Brothers doesn't know how to put DC heroes other than Batman and Superman on the big screen. The non-comic fans will basically walk into the movie and only know Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern. You could argue that they do know Wonder Woman, but I know a lot of people who don't anything about Wonder Woman other than how she looks, the lasso of truth, and the invisible plane. The main audience will be more familiar with The Avengers and more people will definitely see that. There is no build up to this JLA movie and it just won't work unless they set it up. The Avengers wouldn't have worked if the previous movies didn't set everything up. You can make a great Justice League movie, but it is clear that they are rushing this movie to compete with Marvel Studios. WB isn't doing it because they want to, they're doing it because they need a franchise after The Hobbit.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Get Paul Dini to write the movie. Have Bruce Tim storyboard it, and have one of the animated series directors direct it.

Look at how well Mission impossible 3 and 4 turned out and those were directed by the guy behind the Iron Giant and Increadibles.

17. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

DC has a really bad track record of even making solo superhero movies a la Green Lantern and Superman Returns, so I don't have much hope that this desperate attempt at emulating The Avengers will succeed. Let's see, no director, no cast, just a opening date right now. How do they overcome the disasters of SR and GL, and let's not forget about the forgettable WW pilot, and managed to make a movie incorporating all of them AND a Nolan-less and Bale-less Batman?

18. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    The Film is Written by Will Beal. The Writer for Gangster Squad.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Both of these things have no place in a project like Justice League. They are a stand alone version of Batman, and after the dreary and middle of the road film that was Dark Knight Rises, I'd be happy if we never see a superhero movie from Nolan ever again.

And before you ask, I personally don't think his involvement in Man of Steel is a good thing but time will tell on the actual impact of that.

20. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I'm inclined to agree. We could end up being wrong, but I just don't think that Nolan really has a place in a superhero film. Batman, sure. Punisher, sure. But anything beyond that? Preferably not. The outlandish and fantastical elements of the remaining 99.999% of the comic world is what keeps me interested.