Just won Reflector...how do I count him?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Brodimus Prime, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    I just won Reflector on eBay for about $140.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330045559768&rd=1&rd=1

Big TF off my want list. But I digress. This brought up a subject I think we've talked about before: how should we count our TFs? If I count Spectro, Viewfinder, and Spyglass as individuals, then I'm over the 220 mark. But they are, for the most, the same guy. They share the same tech spec and motto, not to mention their portrayal in the show.

Yet I count combiners as 5 or 6 different bots. I also count Mini-Cons, Action Master partners, and Targetmaster guns as individual bots because they each have a personality all their own. Headmasters I count as one because I subscribe to the Japanese idea that the smaller figure is the TF and the larger one is a transtector. But since Reflector shares the same mind I think I'll just count him as one.

Anyone else have a thought on how to count the figs in their collection?

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I count things by whether or not I can buy them seperately.

For instance: I buy Devastator as a gift set. However, I could've bought him seperately as well. Therefore I count him as 6 instead of one.

On the other hand, I can't buy (insert random minicon) without buying his partner, or his 3 pack. Therefore, I dont count him.

Since Reflector was only sold as one piece, that's how I'd count him.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I count Reflector as three bots. If all three looked the same like in the toon, that might be a different story.

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

an individual bot I count ass something that by its self has both robot mode and alt mode without another member.

A headmaster for instance. Both the TF and the headmaster are needed to make a complete robot. Thus it is only one TF.

A target master on the other hand, both gun and bot are independent of one another in making both bot and alt modes.

Reflector needs all three to make one alt mode, even though he seperates into three bots. Thus I'd say he counts as one. But one rarity beats three commons any day.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'd count it as one. Even though the toy is 3 bots with 3 separate names, I've always preferred the way he (not they) was protrayed in the cartoon - 3 bots that share a collective conscience, personality & name. Makes it more interesting than the mini gestalt form they attempted to give him as a toy.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sweet. count it as 1. hes a single toy that splits into 3 bots.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I considered as 1 too...similar concept to G1 Optimus Prime...where we consider Roller and the Trailer as part of Optimus.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How many places does the Transformer(s) take on the shelf? That's how I count TFs. But I wouldn't count a trailer as an individual Transformer.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'd count it as one. They don't transform into anything individually, unlike combiners or Minicons.

10. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I count bots, so I say 3. Eventhough the 3 only make one alt mode, there are still 3 seperate bots, 3 individual charaters.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn...thats a fantastic price on that! I'm jealous.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I look at it like this. If the bots are individual figures on their own and are not essential to the robot (Powermaster, Headmaster, Targetmaster) then it counts for each one. So Hot Shot and Jolt are 2 bots, even though you buy them together. Jolt is not needed to transform Hot Shot nor is he a weapon. He has his own alt mode that is not an engine, head, or gun. A three pack of minicons is three figures to me. Kicker and Hightower from Energon is two.

A combiner is only counted as it's individual pieces. So the constructicons are 6. You don't count Devestator (even if you have the pieces)

Reflector is three individual bots that make one alt mode. They have a combiner alt mode though. I say count them as three.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i say 3 as well...

14. ikado

ikado Cuttlebot

Ebay:
    Doh! I was spying that auction all week!

15. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    :lol  Sorry, ikado! See, I figure if the guy can function without his partner, he counts. For example, Unicron and Dead End are two separate because Dead End is not essential to Unicron. Same goes for Spinister and Singe and Hairsplitter. Spinister can function perfectly without the two Targetmasters. But for Brave Max I count him as one figure, as Plasma is essentially the larger robot (as in Headmasters). Though if you wanted to, I suppose you could count him as 3 (Plasma, Brave, and Maximus).

Reflector, as much as I'd like to count him as 3 and get my collection up, is a single TF. The reason is that , unlike Unicron and Dead End, Spectro, Spyglass, and Viewfinder are essential to one another. They MUST have each other in order to complete their transformation. So my sig stays as is, at 218 figs.

I'm still not certain about my Action Masters. They hardly got any time in the comics, so I'm not sure if I should count Gatorader and Catgut as being separate from Krok and Treadshot.

16. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    My vote's for counting as 1.

And also, I'm quite jealous. I always wanted Reflector.

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I count them as 3. Count each bot as 1 and you will avoid confusion.

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I simply go by Hasbro's offical list, which is about the same as Abrogate's method. So reflector counts as 1 in my list as do all the masters.

19. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I'm with him.