Just watched Episode 1 - loved it!

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Note - never been interested in the animated versions of TF. I've seen the entirety of G1, the animated movie, and just one episode of Beast Wars (the one with G1 Starscream) and episode 1 of Animated. My love has always been the toys and the comics.

I'm also in the UK, so we never get to see these shows at the same time as our across-the-pond cousins.

Anyway, bored last night, I watched episode 1 of "Prime" on You Tube... and thought it was great! Cool animation, excellent voice cast (particularly liked Jeffrey Combs as Ratchet - though kept picturing him as he appeared in DS9 - and whoever played Arcee) and a decent script. Lots of action, peppered with some great characterisation.

And the Decepticons are quickly established as a real danger. Poor Cliffjumper!

All in all, excellent. Has made me very interested in watching the show when it finally comes to the UK, and also the toyline... the fact that the producers intend to make this the flag-bearer for the franchise over the next few years opens up lots of intriguing possibilities.

2. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it. The rest of the miniseries is great too. In fact, each episode is better than the next.

One thing stood out to me thought. I would strongly encourage you to watch beast wars. It is truly the finest show related to transformers ever. Well, we shall see if that changes with prime. But to date, Beast Wars is the best.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yes i strongly agree you should watch beast wars, especially season 1 and 2. especially love the tigertron's island episode.

and glad you liked prime, cliffy got the wrong end of the "stick" :lol  this time.

died so brutally, more then once! :lol 

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Glad you liked it, I think Prime has a bright future ahead of it.

Oh, and I also vote for you to watch Beast Wars. (I'm sure you could find it on youtube or some such) The animation might be a jarring change in quality (the show is over fifteeen years old) but it was the first TF show to really highlight the charatcers and story before all else, and really stands as one of the best, if not the best. However one thing TF Prime does better than BW is TF Prime starts out awesome, wheras Beast Wars takes a few epiosdes of getting to know everyone/thing and gets the characters down pat. TF Prime likewise is probably going to have a few characters "settle in" over time, but BW takes about an epiosde or two after the first two-parter to really get going with the characters.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I've heard great things about Beast Wars, but I find the animation so off-putting. That's not coming from a 2011 standpoint either - back in '96 (or whenever it was around), I also found it very disappointing.

Mind you, I am used to looking beyond the rough-around-the-edges surface if there's a good quality story inside (hey, the Marvel Transformers is my all-time favourite iteration of the saga!) so I may well visit Beast Wars one day. For now, though, I'll just lap up my newfound interest in modern TFs through "Prime"!

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Glad you like it.

I think Prime is great anmd exicting.

Transformers Prime: What Micheal Bay shoulda gave us in a Transformers movies.

7. vipertaja

vipertaja Well-Known Member

If each episode is better than the next then the first is best and it's only downhill from there. :tongue: 

8. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Glad to hear you gave Prime a go and liked what you saw! We'll probably have to wait till summer for this series here in the UK. I personally don't think I can wait that long to check out more episodes.

The VA talent behind Arcee is Sumalee Montano btw.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  10. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

... oops...

Each episode is better than the last! The last is what i meant!

Anywho, in regards to the "rough animation" of beast wars, it gets much better as it goes along. The budget was increased each season. In season 1, things did look a little "blocky". By season 3, they were doing beautiful underwater scenes that they couldn't near afford in season 1. And animation isn't the only thing that get's better too. In my opinion, season 1 of beast wars is good, but season 2 and 3 is where it's at. The animation gets better, the stories get darker and more interesting. Every episode just becomes intense. The show goes from a good children's show in season 1 to transcending age by season 2.

Beast Wars is a show that could have lasted another two or three seasons and I would still rewatch every episode over and over.

Anywho, this isn't a topic about beast wars. I just think if you like Prime, you should definitely give Beast Wars a good chance.

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get ready for Episode 2! :bay 

12. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I guess that's what Cliffjumper gets for missing Megatron in Generation One.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I think you'll be very pleased once you've watched all 5 episodes. I know I enjoyed them immensely.

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Cheers, mpl! I think your link might be broken, but thanks for bringing it up anyway. By all means, Magnus' Mate, check out my interview with Sumalee Montano if you're interested.

TFs: Prime coming to the UK in summer 2011 was announced last month:

15. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  16. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    I just finished watching Darkness Rising too, and I liked it very much. I wasn't going to get in this show at all but after the photos of the toys, I wanted to give it a shot. It has a lot of connections with other series. Dark Energon from WFC, "One shall stand..." catchphrase, Starscream declairing himself as the leader of the Decepticons, characters being a mix of Animated and Movieverse and the list goes on...

Personally, I can't wait for the upcoming episodes. I am feeling like this is gonna be like Animated; a beautiful combination of past and present. So come on producers, bring on the next episodes!

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Actually, I think the main thing that BW needed time for was for the writers to realise that they were making a Transformers show. :p 

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couldn't have put it better myself. They even admitted that they didn't know where they were going with this until well into the first season.