Just Watched Beast Wars for the First Time

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by konrathink, Feb 9, 2011.

1. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

As a kid (7 or 8) I was strictly a G1 kid. Mostly just the first season and some of the second seasaon. Then the Animated movie in 84. That wall all I new of Transformers.

Never a collector, but when the classic toys came out a few years ago I was in heaven. I started with the megs and prime 2-pack. Around that time I saw the TRU 2-pack of the Beast Wars Primal and Megatron 10th Anniversary. I thought it was dumb at the time.

Fast forward 5 years or so to Nov/Dec of last year and for whatever reason, those damn Beast Wars toys were still stuck in my head. I had to find out what that was about. So I got my hands on the 3 seasons of Beast Wars, breezed through them and was pleasantly surprised. They were really good. Loved them going back in time and finding the Ark and the Nemesis and the all the storylines.

Now I wish I would have picked up that 2-pack years ago. I've managed to get an eBay lot or 2 of toys and pieced together a Primal and Megs and will customize them and get them show accurate.

Just thought I would share my first viewing of the Beast Wars world. I'm glad I watched them.

- Till All Are One

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Probably one of, if not, the most coherent and serious pieces of Transformers fiction. G1 will always be the show that started it all for me, but I deeply admire and love Beast Wars. The first season does a great job establishing the characters, and the next two seasons are jam packed with awesome plotlines.

Animated season 3 is a close second.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Glad to hear more fans giving Beast wars a chance. G1's characters will always be my favorite since I grew up with them but Beast Wars is the best fiction we've ever gotten by a long shot.

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It took you long enough. You really missed out.

5. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

i knew beast wars before i knew G1. it was around 1997 when i watched the series. as a kid i was really amazed. then i saw G2 figures in some hobby shop. wondering what they are, and why they're called transformers as well. got a G2 green truck figure (looks like that auto-something guy from BW neo) as my first fig.

then i saw the G1 series from CDs my uncle bought me.

been a fan since then. only started seriously collecting since Transformers cybertron showed up, because i thought the guys from jungle planet are beast wars TFs LOL.

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Even though I saw some reruns of G1 when I was a wee lad, Beast Wars really planted the seeds for me. I didn't care for Beast Machines (as I didn't understand what the hell was going on), I skipped RiD and AEC entirely (I dislike most anime), but Bayformers kicked it back up for me, then Animated and so on.

I went back to watch Beast Wars from episode 1 all through Beast Machines, and goddamn it is an amazing era for Transformers. I hope Prime can do their own version and make something really amazing in a long run.

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I just can't get over how it looks long enough to get into the story. For me it is the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.

8. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been a G1 fan since I was about 4. I remember watching some VHS tapes with season 1 and first half of season 2 episodes. It was my all time favorite cartoon, still is :)  Never really cared about the other series. I watched most of RID, that was ok. Saw some Unicron trilogy, but wasn't amazed. I never actually watched Beast Wars before. I read good comments about it most of the time on the boards and then I saw this thread and decided to give it a shot. I must admit, it's good so far. Just watched the first two episodes and got interested. It's ironic, I was born in '91, at the time Beast Wars was starting I was discovering and getting hooked on G1.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Awesome.

I sorta grew up with Beast Wars, in re-runs back in 2004 or was it 2005, i dunno but every Saturday morning it was one it was exciting. Too bad the Beast Wars toys weren't out then i'd woulda been in heaven. However Cybertron surprislingly got me hooked and yeah.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Once the Shout Factory DVD's hit the shelves, I'm going to start watching it - I've read enough things about it on here to give it a shot.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Glad you liked it! I'm lookign forward to the recently announced Shout Factory DVDs. Hope they have cool extras.

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    For me Beast Wars is what got me started in Transformers. I didnt even know of a Optimus Prime until BW Megatron blasted him.

Beast Wars is one of the best TF series ever done. I was so lucky to have grown up under that era.

13. joshnpowell

joshnpowell Seller of Toys

The first time I watched it I threw up in my mouth a little bit :yuck 
    but then I watched it again..... sorta like seeing a car crash... then turning away..... but then looking at it again just so you can remember what it looked like...... and it wasnt that bad.
    That being said....my little brother loves it!.... so I will definitely pick up the DVDs for him when they are released., and I will probably watch it with him :thumb 

14. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

I went from G1 and the Animated movie, to Transformers Animated. I missed out on a lot in between there.

Not sure if I would have liked the Beast Wars toys though. I love the Ultra Primal and Megs. In general, I'm not much for toys inside of a shell. That's what RatTrap kind of looks like he would be. Robot parts inside of a rat shell. Kind of like Animated Wreck Gar. All of his legs and arms are inside the garbage truck shell. I like more when the whole toy becomes each part.

Were most of the toys shells or did they have a big animal head sticking out of the chest? Were there a lot of backpacks or were they clean for the most part?

15. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I'm glad you liked Beast Wars. By starting with season 3 you missed ALOT tho. It is a bit more linear than G1 was in that the story builds throughout its entirety.
    Your next move should be go in order through Seasons 1 and 2 for some added enjoyment.
    Don't get discouraged if you think Episode 1 is kinda 'meh'. It has to be in order to jam a complete origin into one episode (remember we usually get 3 episode origin arches at the begining of each series)...it gets better in episode 2 though and runs with it.

16. AMG

AMG Old School

The characters, the story, everything about Beast Wars is fantastic.

17. linrenwei

linrenwei Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Beast wars was what I grew up with :) 

18. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm loving the fact there's no humans in BW :) 

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Great stuff mate!

I was in the same position as you almost exactly a year ago. I also grew up with G1 and when Beast Wars originally came out it represented the beginning of my hiatus from Transformers (probably until the 2007 movie). I simply could not accept the new character designs or the fact that they were animals. Back then, I was strictly a trukk and not a munkky type of guy.
    The thing is, as I have gotten older and delved more deeply into various parts of the TF mythos, I decided it was time to get over myself and experience what is essentially a huge chunk of the media which covered almost 5 years (I think). That was a long time to be sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting "LA LA LA LA!" For me, being as big a TF fan as I am, I felt it was just being churlish to be deliberately ignoring such a massive element of the brand.

So I forced myself to watch every single Beast Wars episode...

It is now my favourite series.

The characterisation, action, comedy and sci-fi elements are second to none in the TF universe IMO. Forget about the CGI animation. I mean, I think it looks great, but I know some don't and think it looks dated. Whatever. The key to Beast Wars' appeal, certainly for me, is the relationships between the characters and the story arcs which cover almost the entire 3 seasons in some cases. There is so much to be gained and so many rewards from really immersing yourself completely in the show.

Soon after I watched all of Beast Machines as well, and while I didn't like it as much, I did find it very interesting and appreciated the change in tone from BW.

Still, Beast Wars will forever by my own personal benchmark of what a truly great Transformers cartoon can achieve given all the right ingredients. Don't get me wrong, I still adore G1 for all it's flaws, and Animated is great fun and shares a lot of the same spirit as Beast Wars. Also, from what I've seen of TF:p rime so far, the signs are good, and I'm keen to see more.

But Beast Wars gets my vote as no.1 TF series, if only because it just surprised the hell out of me by making me enjoy it more than I ever thought was possible.

20. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Maybe I'll have to delve into Beast Machines and see what that's about. I wasn't crazy towards the end of BW with all the machined animals. I liked the transmetal thing, but wasn't crazy about the wheels and vehicle add-ons.

I'll continue on with Prime and see where that goes. It's pretty good so far.