Just started playing Super Metroid for the first time ever....

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    ....and I must say, I feel like a dick for taking so long to actually getting around to playing it. The controls, the music, the atmosphere and the gameplay are literally blowing my mind.

I was a Mega Drive kid growing up so I never was really into the classic Nintedo titles till much later, and even then I always put off playing Super Metroid. Figured it as one of them old school uber hard games you can only play it if you have played the others. I got the 2 Metroid games for the Gamecube and those were my first Metroid games ever and while I could see the potential I didn't like them very much.

Now after aquiring a lot more SNES cartridges recently and finally picking up Super Metroid, I gave it a go. It genuinely plays like one of the best games I've ever played, i'm not far into it but I can see why its herald as a classic. So I just wanted to share that I think Super Metroid is amazing and I feel like less of a gamer for taking so long to play this genuine masterpiece. Please don't think less of me :eek: 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You don't even know. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Come back once you finish it ;) 

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I will, I'm expecting some tough boss battles. Also cheers for fixing my typo so quickly :D 

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

If you have a GBA or a DS with the slot, pick up the 2 Metroid games for it, Fusion and Zero Mission. They're pretty fun too.

5. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

And don't forget the Castlavania on GBA, DS, and PS1

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I didn't even fix it :( 

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I have the Castlevania games. Its a shame Shadow Complex is the only recent game to be like Metroid and Castlevania.

Oh. I just saw you were in this forum and assumed.

Cheers then to whom ever it was.

Just had my first instance of getting stuck. Had to re-load my save as I managed to morph ball by way into a passage yet didn't have weaponary to exit it :lol 

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

I still have my SNES copy of Super Metroid.

All 3 files are just over 2 hours and have 100% item completion. No cheats used other than a turbo controller for Bomb Jumping. Im tempted to snag it off of WiiWare at some point for fun. Might have to actually used the Superjump.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

Super Metroid is one of those rare games that I can honestly call a masterpiece.

Enjoy the ride Recall. :) 

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely give Fusion a try sometime. It's pretty much the true sequel to Super Metroid. Same graphics and playstyle. Plus, if you have a link cable you can use it unlock the Fusion suit and the original NES Metroid in Metroid Prime 1, legitly(I hear cheat devices can do that too).

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Fusion and Zero Mission are excellent as well, although of the three Super Metroid is my favourite. Sit back and enjoy the ride :) 

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Gods the time I lost in middle school to that game. I remember I kept replaying it to get the better endings. I finally gave up and bought the Nintendo Power game guide so I could find the last two missile upgrades and a energy tank.

They taunted my existance.

13. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Super Metroid is one of the few games that I go back and play once a year. There aren't many games that match it in atmosphere and the gameplay is solid. Once you beat it the first time, it's very easy to get pulled into the world of speed runs, minimalist runs, and sequence breaking which all add some interesting replayability. Hell, all this nostalgia is making me want to go on a month long Metroid bender. I wonder how long it would take to play Zero Mission, Prime Trilogy, Super Metroid, and Fusion. Perhaps I'll wait for Other M and throw that in as well.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've taken your first step... into a larger world.

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Super Metroid was an awesome game. For some reason though, my favorite of the series has always been Metroid 2. No one ever talks about that one either. Guess I'm weird or something...

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes you are, but Metroid 2 was fucking awesome. Damn, I need to buy some Metroid in the Wii store.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    since you just started playing, sometime just let it sit for a while at the title screen. several times. cool stuff happens.

18. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

You will be sooo glad you finally got it. The final battle is epic and will piss you off greatly(in a good way, added rage towards a boss aint bad) I remember renting it time after time as my parents wouldn't buy it outright(though the money i spent renting woulda bought it). Also got the guide back when you could choose one for renewing Nintendo Power, and still have it somewhere with the cover scotch taped on.

Also got it on Wiiware....and if they would make it on a lil compilation cart for DS would buy it again gladly.

19. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    "Sega does what Nintendont" my ass! Welcome to the SNES.

Super Metroid's one of my few games I can't get sick of, up there with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and the original Megaman X (Weird, all SNES...)

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't go there. SEGA had Zillion :D