Just Some Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Brutus, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

I usually just read through the posts and read up on the new information and watch people's opinions, but I thought I just add my two cents in hopes that I could add a different spin on this movie's importance to the franchise.

I'm a big fan of Battletech and Mechwarrior. I don't know how many if any of the forum readers here are fans as well. Battletech went through a phase of great popularity. Mechwarrior games were being released and the franchise was sold from FASA to Wizkids Games, owners of Mage Knight. When Wizkids openned up a new timeline for Battletech the hardcore purists lashed out and refused to support the new stuff from Mechwarrior: Dark Age. It's been about four years now since Mechwarrior: Dark Age was released.

Mechwarrior: Dark Age was created in order to open up new audiences to the Battletech/Mechwarrior genre in general. More people buying Dark Age means more money for classic Battletech and vise versa. So, by the purists of classic Battletech not adding their interest and dollars to the new Dark Age line, they basically killed the chances for new classic Battletech and Mechwarrior stuff. No new video games, no new minitures, scare tabletop additions.

Transformers is in the same boat right now. It's not even debatable that Transformers has so many different storylines and character variations that some folks probably can't keep up. With the addition of a movie, we have one more.

The fact of the matter is simple. If purists fail to support the movie (which is where all the money is going) and the initial reaction to the movie is poor, the Transformers franchise will suffer.

The first movie due out in July is the teaser. It is the first taste of what CAN be, not necessarily what WILL be. July's movie is meant to broaden the scope of the Transformer franchise so that more than just veteran purists and 10 year olds who watch Cartoon Network can experience Transformers.

So to those who are skeptical about the movie being close to G1, remember, G1 is the only storyline and franchise that has been close to itself. The Dreamweave comics looked good and looked very much like G1 and had the same G1 characters, but the storyline was still different, and in my opinion, much better. I always thought the idea of Optimus Prime being killed by Megatron was a waste of an excellent character. Did I still enjoy the movie? Sure. The fact of the matter is, there will never be another storyline or character makeup like G1 that will be exactly the same.

So, to the naysayers and purists and hardcore G1 folks out there:

Relax. Go see the movie, support the franchise. Enjoy the change. Be excited about the new direction. Who knows how good the movie could get in the next years with sequels and such.

In short, the Transformers glass is half-full in my eyes, not half-empty. Let's prove the owners of the Transformers franchise that we also see it as Half-full and maybe they'll put more effort into it.

2. rollout!

rollout! Prime's Little Helper...

Amen. Very well put and thoughtout. It is basically what i've been saying all along - the only thing that will ruin this film is the 'G1-a-holics' not supporting it. Or Bay screwing it up..... But with Spielburg on board as well, I doubt that'll happen. Just got to keep an open mind.

PS i got the first post!! YAY!!!

3. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I agree with you that the hard heads in these boards need to go see the movie before early judgment of the designs and all.

But I dont think everyone got a point I brang up a few times....it is pretty much like G1...the chars I mean. I say so in the fact that Well...BB and almost everychar including Megatron is ass alike as their orgianl G1 self.....And as far as I know the personalaties of the characters havent changed.

I guess the only char that In me eyes doesnt look like his G1 version prolly would be Bonecrusher...and even so I still think his design is insane.

And another thing is, Iam pretty do da day on the script and dont mind a little humor or teen love in a movie.

4. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Whatt?? In plain english sentence structure please??

I have to disagree, to me not one of these characters look anything like their G1 counterparts. Not on bit...ok so yeah, Prime kind of has his head...not really but at least it's close...he and Barricade are the only ones that even look like Transformers in the first place..I love the FEB shooting script, I love the plot of the movie for the most part..but for me...the designs and Bumblebee being a mute still sucks. It's something, as an old school fan, I'm gonna have to get used to. It was like getting used to the E90 3 series, as a loyal BMW Enthusiast...at first I wasn't too happy with the grille and body-lines...but now..I absolutely love the car, and I'm actually detesting BMW's plans to give the car a facelift to follow more in line with the new coupe. Maybe this will happen with these designs, I don't really think so though...as I have high hopes that if there is a sequel their looks will be retconned a little. Face wise AT LEAST, but it might. In my eyes, Starscream and Megatron need a complete make over though...as do Ratchet, Ironhide and Bumblebee's heads. Jazz doesn't make it into a sequel otherwise I'd say besides the visor he needs to get rid of the Bug-mouth too. I'm still seeing the movie though, because besides not liking their look, I like everything about this movie.

5. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

So? This isn't G1.
    They look like giant robots that change into vehicles. That's a TF all right.

Or perhaps it's something to do with the fact they don't look like toys?

Not me, I love the current designs.

Well...I'll give in on Bonecrusher. He looks like a giant mutant toddler.

Why? G1 ratchet was just a generic helmet-bot with only his crest as a defining feature. And the movie actually does have a crest, albeit not as prominent.

Why? It captures his tough guy personality anyway. That's whats important.

Bumblebee's head is more or less a rounded version of his G1 toy head...although I agree the face needs a change.

Well that is just his 'battle mode'.

6. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Clearly you need carrots because your as blind as a bat.

Who cares about what their heads look like...here is a point OP is a truck, that ends it right their. And second of all, ratchet megatron and SS arent bad at all.

And I said they do look like G1 chars. And I stand firm to this case not as a purist but as seemingly one of the few TF fans on this sight with a little imagination.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not to mention a lesson in politeness. One has to wonder if he'd have said that if he agreed with what you'd said.
    Oh I think you'll find there are a lot of us. We just don't bother sating so much any more, because we cant be arsed with all the hassle we got for it.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah. I too love the designs and agree that they resemble their G1 counterparts, but I don't see the point in trying to argue my point over and over and over again. Starscream is a little odd in my opinion, and I don't plan on getting any toy version of him, but he's not that bad looking. Peace out.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

*SIGH*

No matter how well said or logical your view is and no matter which side of the argument you are on, someone will come in here and jump down your throat.

It's not worth it.

Let your wallet do the talking. :) 

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Transformers!
    7-4-7

Count me in!

11. rollout!

rollout! Prime's Little Helper...

Is it just me, or is everyone on this thread actually POSITIVE about the movie? My God it makes a change.....

I've been trying to turn people about it since i started posting, so it's nice to see some good comments.:D 

12. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Heh, yea my wallet does alot of talking...when its not empty :( 

All the same the movie will be pretty good....depending on who you are...

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Dammit, I want to see Blackout blow up the military base now! And giggle at the fact Aaron from 24 has apparently been manning this post for awhile, explaining his absence from the series.

14. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    arsed. amazing. i'd never noticed the 'uk' in your profile.. so i take it you would say 'i couldnt care less' rather than the ******ed slur-too-much-to-know-the-difference 'could care less' that seems so prevalent on message boards....

15. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Eh, it is sad because, their are brilliant minds on this site.

Makes you wonder then how many people like the designs....

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love it when folks demand proper sentence structure from someone else, immediately before going on to painfully misuse the ellipsis.

17. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Well, I am no major at english...in this case which I am still in, but Id say he had no proper spacing and indentation.....of course it is just a message board.

18. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Please, come give me my lesson in politeness... I would love to see that. Awww I'm so sorry was it wrong of me to disagree? that must make me a bad person....not wanting to conform to the norm of you people and every other fair-weather fan that likes these..mainly because you're all so easily pleased. And carrots? I'll have you know I don't wear contacts, or glasses because I have perfect vision...and I'll stand by my opinion of not liking the majority of what I've seen in these robots. DEAL WITH IT..as I have to deal with you all LIKING the designs. So be it, more power to you. Oh, and to the poster that said something to the affect that "they are supposed to look like giant robots that turn into cars" The only ones that you can tell turn into cars from their appearances as robots, are Jazz, and Barricade...Bumblebee has slightly poor remnance of a Chevy Camaro on his chest. But man, I suppose you guys would say different even with a gun to your heads just for the sake of disagreeing. PATHETIC.

19. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

My typing may not be perfect but at least I can convey full thoughts that people won't have to read multiple times because of horrible abbreviations and spacing. You're all a bunch of hypocritical nitpicks that think you're so superior...Well kutos to yall, enjoy being the bigger geeks and pimple faced gurus of all things anime and robotic..YOU GUYS ROCK..I'll be enjoying being a meathead working out, and getting girls, and driving a nice ass new 3coupe. All the while the majority of your lives prior to this movie, and AFTER this movie will be spent still debating on these boards. After this movie, you won't see me again untill maybe a sequel.

20. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Wow, you sound pretty infuriated....I was kinda hoping youd "SEE"things my way, but guess not :lol 

Dude we know you dont like them, youve made your point clear but then again, telling people they lack structure and good sentencing is pretty mean.