Just some thoughts on Transformers Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by MST3KFan, Jun 21, 2008.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

Okay, we're almost done with the second season and it brings up some thoughts...

How many seasons will the show go? It seems a lot of the times despite popularity of a cartoon nowadays, the networks stop at three or four seasons tops because they feel it's enough for them to be syndicated. Sometimes a show mangaes to go longer, but it seems four seasons most times is the limit. Do you think that will be how long Transformers Animated goes?

Another thought... The figures are coming out now, but they're coming out under a major crunch time it seems. The first Transformers movie figures are still out in stores and next year is the new movie toys most likely. So the TF: A stuff has between now (June) until most likely the month before TF2 comes out. Granted the TFA toys were supposed to be out back at the start of the year but were delayed. It makes you wonder how much more new stuff will we get before the TF2 stuff.

Anyone else have thoughts on this, or their own opinions and whatnot?

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    This season really seemed to be treading water for me, so I hope we get at LEAST 2 more, to really develop the story some.

I know what you mean though, it'd be nice if there was no cap on this at all, it has the potential to be a really great show if given the room and freedom to become one, without having some self-imposed ceiling of "wrap it up by the end of season 4" etc.

3. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

Indeed. The Batman felt rushed throughout it's run. First season was slow, but then next season they added Batgirl, then Robin the next, then final season was DCU cameos. That could have been much more developed. Teen Titans managed to get a fifth season, though it still felt like they ended it too soon given its popularity...

Heck, Legion of Superheroes only got 2 seasons, though it seemed like they were struggling with finding how to make that appeal to viewers I guess or something.

So hopefully Transformers Animated gets a descent run before the plug gets pulled.

4. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Things have definitely gone downhill in Season 2. Reasons? Here's 10 (in no particular order):

1) Not enough OP
    2) Not enough Megatron
    3) Too many great new characters introduced, then dropped (Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Blurr, etc)
    4) Not enough action. Name one good fight scene during Season 2 other than the Starscream-Megatron montage.
    5) Not enough Ratchet
    6) Not enough teamwork. This team is way too fractured.
    7) Not enough continuity - too many villain or character of the week episodes and not enough moving the story forward
    8) Too much Bumblebee and Bulkhead. They're young and need to grow up. We get it.
    9) Not enough OP. Okay, I said that already, but there needs to be a star in this show, and Bumblebee can't cut it, no matter what the market research and focus groups say. Put OP in hero-mode and let's get going.
    10) There aren't any stakes anymore, nothing to risk. We went from OP willing to sacrifice himself to protect the Allspark to "Let's collect some crystal pieces." What are the stakes? Megatron attacking Cybertron? No one cares about Cybertron. We've been there once in Autoboot Camp, and that's it. The audience could care less about those stakes. The Autobots don't even talk about missing it like they did in G1.

Improvement is needed, desperately.

5. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Add more Prowl and Sentinel Prime

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actualy there's lots of continuity in Season 2.
    Elite Guard, Mission Accomplished, Velocity, Constructicons, Sari No One's Home and Fistful of Energon are all important for the season finale.

Season 1 had what? The movie, Lugnut/Blitzwing, Blackarachnia and Space Barnacles for the last episode.

7. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I think the show is good, but not great. It for sure needs to get moving forward, advance a plot or two, I don't really care in what direction, just get going. I wanna see action, and motivations for the action.

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    It seems to go down hill as the season progresses from what I see. Maybe I should watch the two seasons and see what sort of show this has become thus far.

9. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

really? to me its a sorta build up and we will get the pay off in the final two eps(god i want them to air damnit). there seemed to be more pointless filler eps in season 1 then season 2.

best to judge the two seasons though when season 2 finally finishes airing cos atm season 1 has its buildup and pay off easily seen where you cant see that yet in season 2.

(for some odd reason while typing this i hope sentinel remembers who bumblebee and bulkhead are in season 3, and his reaction to them being under optimus' command (unless of course he sorta does remember them and some how got them into optimus' command (damnit no more posts at 4am my time)))

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The apparent basic structure seems to be each 13-episode season has an 'under-story' that is touched on occasionally in the normal problem/villain of the week format, and brought to the forefront for the season finale (Megatron being rebuilt in Season 1, him building the space bridge to attack Cyberton in Season 2). I think the format works pretty well. It's not the greatest, It's certainly easier to get into for kids and others who haven't seen the show from the start, (as opposed to catching a mid-season episode of one of the Armada-trilogy shows) and it offers more story payoff to those who stick with it.

Based on the format of other CN-produced shows, I'd guess on a total of 4 to 5 seasons assuming it stays successful enough, capped off with one or two movies to wrap things up. Another possibility is they pull a 'Ben-10' and create new series to keep the "Animated" world going (the Energon and Cybertron to Armada, if you will)

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    It might the last seven episodes except Autoboot Camp that have caused my liking of this show decrease

12. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Which makes no sense at all considering Fistful of Energon and SUV were both superb episodes.

I even remember you going nuts over FoE until some dude posted about how the upgrade thing was dumb, then suddenly you started to go "meh" on the episode.

13. Jordo02

Jordo02 Well-Known Member

i love all animated.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i like season two, more then season one...

though :( 

so yea, i want more seasons, 12 seasons should be almost enough :tongue: 

15. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:

Not only was that, but where was interaction between the Cons in that ep? Last I checked Lugnut hates Lockdown and in that episode Lugnut was all quiet.
    IMO SUV was :thumbdown 
    Can the writers of this show stop it with certain characters not talking. For example, Lugnut and Blitz were all quiet when the battle in the warehouse. David Kaye was present for Optimus's and Grimlock's, but not Lugnut. Does Bumper Robinson have to do Blitzwing only when BB is present in the episode? Same for Autoboot Camp's first scene in the AB base where Ratchet, Prowl,and OP were silent despite the fact their voice actors present for that ep or Black Friday's first scene in AB base. It really removes any character interaction.
    How come in Beast wars every character who appeared in an episode was given dialog?:confused: 

I'm willing to give this show two more seasons
    If its all about setting up a "big" fight with the Cons at the end of the season while most of the season is the AB's vs. human villains and/or one or two Cons, then this show is over for me.

16. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Lugnut is Megatron's LOYAAAL SERRRVANT, he wouldn't complain about Megatron making deals with Lockdown when Megatron was around.
    Plus he had one line after all, he screamed when the Starscreams exploded.

By the way, looks like the show is over for you unless the writing team decides to make Autobots lose every episode (only thing that could come out of Decepticons fighting every episode in full force).

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    No, I want them to lose like how the Maximals lost in the BW episode "The Probe"? Just once in a while to show the what is at stake.

I know the Cons are supposed to be tough to beat.So, the writers decide to have the Cons plan some big scheme and at the end of the season, they get outsmarted by the AB's (main cast and maybe one or two guest star AB only) including a big whooping to both Megs and Screamer. Wow, they are a real "threat"
    This Megatron is lazier than RID Megs(Just drinking some oil, plotting some uprising, telling Blitz and Lugs to grab AllSpark shards while not being in action) . But lately, Lugnut turned from cool fanatic Con(BW Inferno) to clumsy oaf (Armada Demolisher), Blitzwing whose triple personality is awesome sometimes while other times it gives me memories of Energon Alpha Q, and BlackArachnia needs more screentime for our sympathy.Starscream seems to be the best-written Con again for the fourth time in all of TF history. Too bad, his fate seem sealed after the season finale. It looks like recurring Cons like Lockdown, Swindle(if he reappears), Soundwave, and the Constructicons are way better than the main cast cons.

You know what would be good for more Con character development? An "Animated" version of the Armada ep: Rebellion (my favorit ep of Armada).
    Just watch it and see if the writers could have this sort of (sorry, no one posted it on Youtube)

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v895051dtpfQKXJ?rank=245&

I'll complain about animation and certain AB's later.

Shroobmaster, screaming does not equal dialouge or the voice actors of DBZ would be as rich as Bill Gates.

18. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    You see, your opinions look more like you wanting too much from the characters than writer's messing up.
    First of all, you talk like the Decepticons would win in a freaking SEASON FINALE, that makes no sense, not to mention they get beaten by something that could beat all bots in the show combined.
    Lugnut is still the same crazy loyal dude he just had no chances of showing his skills, Blitzwing is still the same... super crazy dude and THIS TIME he had his chance unlike the first season where he just FIRE MISSILE'd the autobots around 6 times and I'm counting ALL episodes he showed up.

Blackarachnia clearly ISN'T part of the main con crew, no idea why she was in the Nemesis when they could just make her show up out of nowhere.

And you see, the guests ain't going to show up every episode, so it's just natural for the writers to expose 'em in their episodes more.

Also, no doubt Swindle is returning, after all, he IS Derick Wyatt's personal favorite.

19. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Tell me this two seasons later

20. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

wait wait wait? Aniprowl did you not pay attention to Sari no one is home? the cons won in that episode. They even won in Mission Accomplished (yes Starscream is captured, but Megatron doesnt care about him and he is proof for Optimus).

it sorta sounds like i am watching a completely different season 2 then what your watching.