Just Saw Pirates with the trailer

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ciberw0lf, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ciberw0lf

ciberw0lf Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Midnight showing of Pirates and I was glad to see the trailer. The down side to the whole thing was the fact that my friends and I were about the oldest people in the crowd and probably the few that accually watched G1 and understood it.

When the trailer started the crawd of little girls and other arranged highschoolers finally were quite. I enjoyed watching the trailer on the big screen and when the "Transformers" name appreared on the screen, the theater errupted with cheers. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't expect that kinda reaction from a bunch of kids that didn't enjoy the original G1 and didn't look like they ever touched a transformer before. Anyway, just my rant.

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I just saw Pirates tonight at midnight, myself.

...the teaser was left out.

I'm am VERY disappointed. I guess I'm glad I checked it out on the main site and YouTube when I did.

At least Pirates was cool.

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Well, Transformers has been more or less non-stop sucessful for the past 10 years, so there's more than a fair number of those kids and teenagers have played with or owned Transformer toys or watched the various tv shows that have been on tv at the time.

Believe it or not, they (and of course their parents who bought the toys) are the ones who have been buying most of TFs for the past decade( the retailing sucess of which in turn lead to the development of this movie). We older folk are small in number by comparison.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the trailer better be on pirates when i go to see it saturday

5. ciberw0lf

ciberw0lf Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was my impression of the TF community was similair to the Video Game community, mostly 24-35 age group. If i'm totally wrong, then I appoligize for my comments.

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    The TF community comprises merely 8% - 10% of the franchise's toy sales. Seriously, the toys are above all for kids!

Although a more common thing nowadays, adults collecting toys is not a mainstream hobby.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    No worries :D 

The collectors/older farts would make up 10% or so (15% at most) of the market who buy Transformers toys and associated merchandise. The rest is made up of kids/their parents. Hasbro hopes the movie will broaden TF's appeal beyond mostly kids.

EDIT: Damn you, Hook for not slowly thinking of your response like me! :p 

One reason why this film would have been made is because Transformers is a sucessful brandname, and has been doing well for a decade due to mainly toysales. So for Dreamworks, the studio that 'got it' (the concept), they have an already sucessful franchise + nerd nostalgia + everybody else who might have heard of TFs = probable summer blockbuster.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    YES YES YES. We're in the minority here. I love you for being able to see the truth.

9. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would like to see the statistics of the # of members this board has increased after the release of that trailer. I know I fall into that statistic.

10. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

That cheering thing is fantastic. I hope when I see POC and the trailer in the theatre they have the same reaction. You'd be surprised how many people are looking forward to this movie. Non-collectors and people who haven't really followed the franchise since G1.

11. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    I hope there is cheering when I go see POC next week also.

I think people may be looking forward to the movie, but not following the current/past series, is because it's a live action, and not cartoon. I was talking to a couple co-workers the other day, about up-coming movies. They weren't to interested in the TF movie till I mentioned it wasn't a cartoon.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I am sorry but I never met a kid that likes TFs. where are they all hiding?

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Cite? As much as collectors so badly want to believe that kids are buying 90% of the toys, I find that really hard to believe.

70% I can buy, but no fn way is our impact only 10%. Hasbro makes a rediculous amount of product now. And those products are expensive for kids.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2 of my 4 kids love Transformers, 1 of the other ones has a passing interest (mainly loves Megatron) the other is only 1 1/2... my older two boys say that a lot of the kids in their classes at school really like transformers...

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The teaser didn't play when I saw Pirates yesturday. Still pissed about that. Although it's possible we're not getting the teaser at all in Australia.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think hook is citing generic percentage for purchases by adult collectors for toys in general. i picked this up somewhere before too.

so its not like he pulled it out of his ass, nor is it an isolated statistic. more of a rule of thumb for gauging interest outside of the kids (the intended target market) demographic.

as an aside, i'm sure when it comes to fanservice in terms of homages and such, is the last on the list of priorities when it comes to making decision for hasbro.

17. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Aaron Archer said that actually.Although obviously that was a few years back when he posted here under the screen name Orson.

According to Aaron Archer kids represent like 80-90% of the toy market.While adult collectors represent 10-20%

It might be hard to believe but it makes it no less true.

Besides so what if kids can't afford them.I never bought my own TFs as a kid,they were always bought for me by uncles,my parents or gifts from sponsored Xmas parties

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Oh I agree with that. But, rule of thumb or not, it simply isn't logical to apply that to Transformers and Star Wars. Granted I have no stats contradicting it, but I've got to believe with the amount of expensive product out there that collectors buy up far more than 10%.

I can see 10% for He-Man, for Mutant Turtles, for GI Joe, for WWE, and so on. But Transformers and Star Wars are two brands that exploded in popularity.

19. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Star Wars has a much more mature fan base than Transformers. Star Wars collectors make up a far greater percentage of their fan base than does Transformers.

One only need to look at the amount of expensive items that not only come out for Star Wars, but sell out. Now look at what happens when an expensive item comes out for Transformers...People scoff at it and wait for it to go on clearance.

As for He-Man, that line was really only being bought by collectors. Kids were pretty disinterested, mainly due to poor distribution tactics. That was a line that was cherished by collectors and hailed as an amazing resurrection of their favorite product. That product, however, fell flat on its face because collectors can not support such a niche line like that.

And like it or not, the Transformers fan base is going to get a lot younger as this movie approaches and eventually comes out.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Okay, let's use that. Since he gave such a wide range, we'll settle on 15%. Since this was years ago, and since Transformers has only grown in popularity and fanbase(look at TFW), isn't it safe to conclude the collector impact has grown to 20-25%?

It probably can't grow beyond that though unless the mainstream popularity shrunk.