Just saw Nightwish live

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vangelus, May 20, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MOTHERFUCKING NIGHTWISH MOTHERFUCKING LIVE

So, inexplicably, Nightwish showed up in my hometown. Playing at SUGAR of all places. Sugar is this absolute dive of a club which is unfortunately one of the only few in this city. It's tiny and unworthy.

So I decide, do I want to stand right up front, or right at the front of the raised section about 3 meters back from the stage. I decide for the raised section-- better sound, better view while still being really close, and since I was there on my own the front wouldn't be quite as camaraderie.

Opening band is goddamn awesome. I wish I'd caught their name, but I couldn't hear it. I believe one of their songs was called Psychic Seizure, though. Another European band, two singers, two guitars, bass, drums. The singers are huge scary awesome europeans, and one of the guitarists is what I refer to as Motherfucking Metal Chick. She rocked. Drummer was amazing too. They were fairly thrash and heavy, and were the foreshadow to the big problem of the night...Sugar's inability to work a frigging soundboard. Any time the vocalists did anything vaguely melodic, their midrange was DEAD and inaudible. However, they still rocked it up.

Huge break between bands, almost 30-40 minutes. Wish it was shorter. Luckily, it turns out that after dismantling the first band's drum set, Nightwish's stuff was all already on-stage-- just under black cloth. XD

When things finally get going, holy shit they opened a can of epic on that dive. They looked amazing and like they had a TON of fun. The new singer, with no offense to Tarja, was WAY more down-to-earth in all the good ways. She was working WITH the band, and giving each member spotlight. Tarja, though she does rock, tended to strike me as a spotlight snatcher. Also, Anette (new singer) was badass looking, totally rocker-girl. Tuomas and the guitarist looked wonderfully finnish, double-goatee guy from Tarot looked madcap, and the drummer was a man-machine.

Two memorable not-a-song moments:

-Double-goatee guy: "Okay so, we're still in the romance section of the show, and it's gonna get a little weird because now it's just going to be three guys on the stage for the next song. But don't get any ideas...it's just a song. >.>"

-Singer girl: "Well, we have one more song for you--" *crowd* "Oh? Oh, you don't like that! You want to hear...ahhh, yes, the Angel one. Well, here is what we are going to do. We will play you one more song, then pretend to leave. Then you do what you know you are supposed to do, and we come back and play some more songs. ;)  "

Also, during their set the curse of Sugar returned again. Anette had to sing either low-register or high-register, because once again her mid-range was OBLITERATED. Grats for proving yourself an unworthy heap, Sugar. Grats.

That said, it was incredible to see two European powerbands blow the motherfucking roof off of a totally unworthy and TINY venue, with a crowd of no more than 200some people. When we were all throwing horns and going "HEY HEY HEY HEY" it sounded like there were 2000 people in there. And the ticket?

The ticket cost -$22- and I was able to get one less than a week before the show.

If I told some Europeans this, I suspect they'd punch me in the throat. XD

So yeah, they are goddamn awesome. Best $22 ever spent. ;) 

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD THIS WAS SO AWESOME

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have absolutely no idea who this band is.

But you are clearly pumped, so congratulations, guy!

3. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I'm incredibly jealous. I've only been a fan since last christmas, but they are still great.

I have to say agree with your assesment of Annette. I haven't seen them in anything besides youtube videos, but Tarja's self importance comes through there as well.

Out of curiosity, did they play any older songs. I know Annette isn't as operatic, but it would be nice if she could manage some of the older songs like Nemo or Over the Hills.

Anyway congrats even if it wasn't perfect.

4. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    Man! You're one lucky dude, I'm a major Nightwish fan! CONGRATS :D 

5. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A majority of it was the new album, but among others they ended the pre-encore set on Nemo (fucking epic) and ended the concert on Wish I Had An Angel (motherfucking epic).

*edit*

Also, I want to clear up that Tarja is definitely a great artist, but I can see why she was removed from Nightwish as well. I picked up her new solo album, and it was pretty awesome. :D 

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately Nightwish's idea of a UK tour is one date in London. :(  :(  Been a fan since 2002, would love to see them.

Edit: Seems like a good time to trot this out again. :D 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  7. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I agree with you there. I picked up her new solo album too. On that subject I have been wondering about something on it. Do you know if the song "Poison" on that album is a cover. I could swear I've heard elsewhere, but I'm not sure.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Their Finnish. That's all you need to know.

9. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had no idea either, but when I played it on my internet radio show someone said "I love this cover". So, I guess it is a cover. :D 

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    let's see...nordic band means they are death worshipping maniacs?

seriously, knew a guy who listened to bands from Finland, Sweden and a couple other north european countries and i swear, for folks with hot swedish chicks, rather loose pot regulations and all, they all sounded so gloomy.

forgive my ignorance here, just the impression i got from the dude's collection.

but i envy ya anyway. i was sooo pissed years ago that i missed Dream Theater playing a nightclub gig in Atlanta.
    glad you caught a fave at an intimate spot, albeit with crappy audio at the place.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's by Alice Cooper, I believe.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man, I'm gonna check out a few other videos to give 'em a full chance...but that one sounded a little ridiculous.

Or is over-the-top their thing?
    Oh, they're Finnish, are they? Well, I'm glad you've told me all I need to know as well as the fact that it is indeed all I need to know.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  13. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome man... I'm actually really jealous of you. They seem lke an awesome band, and I'd love to see them play.

14. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet. That is worth seeing them live.

15. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Awesome group. Love there music too. Very lucky.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Lucky you, I was hoping they'd play Download festival but no such luck :( 
    I'd love to see them.

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan but I'll admit they're something of an acquired taste.