Just saw my first episode of Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 80Datsun210, Aug 10, 2007.

1. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

So I just saw my first episode of Beast Wars, courtesy of YouTube. It was...um...different. Optimus Prime as King Kong...I'm not so sure about that. I can see the appeal of having robots that transform into dinosaurs and insects, even rhinos and big cats. But being a child of the G1 cartoons and toys, this feels really weird to me, especially Optimus Kong. And what is up with Rattrap??

I sorta like the concept established in the first episode, that the energon on that planet is so strong that they can't stay in robot form very long, that they have to stay in their beast form most of the time for protection. That's interesting. But why the hell do they have to give themselves the command to transform, why can't they just do it? It wastes a lot of time! Megatron as a T-Rex is very cool, as is Starscream as a velociraptor. Did this series come out just after Jurassic Park? Megatron looks like he ought to be able to breathe fire in T-rex form; when he transforms, the t-rex's head ends up on the end of one of his arms and does fire. Why not in beast mode? (Granted, I've only seen one episode.)

Now for some questions...
    1. Presumably they did not have these beast forms before they crashed on the planet (it's not earth, is it?), and yet right away they're calling themselves Maximals and Predacons. Where did these terms come from? Are they from Cybertron? Were they "Maximals" and "Predacons" on their home planet? :confused: 

2. Is this taking a blend of Optimus Prime and Rodimus Prime? Why does Rattrap keep challenging Optimus as leader, like he's new at it?

3. The Autobots' ship sent out a bunch of escape pods before it crashed, what happened to them?

4. Couldn't they have come up with a better name for Starscream than "Dinobot"? Especially given that we already have Grimlock, Slag, Sludge, Snarl, and Swoop--THOSE are Dinobots! (And a velociraptor is such a cool critter, and "Dinobot" is...well...underwhelming.) (Apologies to ILoveDinobot on these boards!) I don't know, it's like naming the giant 3-headed dog in Harry Potter "Fluffy."

5. Do the Maximals and Predacons have G1 counterparts/prior incarnations? Obviously Optimus Prime and Megatron do. Am I right in linking "Dinobot" *shudder* with Starscream? Is Rhinox Ironhide? Cheetor makes me think of a combination of Cliffjumper and Sunstreaker. And what is up with Rattrap? (I know, I asked that already!) The writers wanted to have a little more conflict among the Autobots?

OK, those are my first impressions from my first viewing of Beast Wars. I'm trying new things...:inquisiti 
    Input, explanations, and recommendations will be appreciated.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

you gotta keep watching it for all three seasons. this is a show that builds upon character development. in this series, primal isn't the be-all and end-all leader, but instead sort of like a field commander. so he gets challenged more so than prime would've.

3. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for Q.#4 I think Cheetor is actually supposed to be BB.

4. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The answers to all your questions are answered as the show progresses.

5. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    Beast wars is one of the shows where you should watch it from beggining to end, it really changes after the initial two parter. Only thing i'll tell you, since its never actually said in the series I think, none of the maximals/predacons are the G1 characters, even if the names match up a little.

6. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    They were, actually. What I think is much weirder is the fact that their individual names were the same, too. On Cybertron, if we're going by the Botcon toys, Rattrap turned into a motorcycle. Dinobot turned into a crane. Waspinator turned into a jet. And so forth.

In BW, the Maximals aren't exactly soldiers...more like explorers. Optimus Primal is just an ordinary guy who has found himself thrust into combat. I actually like Primal much more than Prime, since it's easier to relate to Primal...he makes mistakes, he has a sense of humor, he's not the infallible god-like figure Prime was.

You'll find out.

I agree with you to some extent, but in hindsight I think Dinobot is just such a cool character that he more than makes up for it.

Not really. BW Megs is a descendant of G1 Megs (and another example where I've come to like the BW version way better). But there are certain general character archetypes that are definitely shared between BW and G1.

In interviews with the writers you see that they really wanted to push the "infighting" aspect. Stories aren't nearly as compelling when everybody just mindlessly gets along.

7. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Keep watching and your questions will be answered like everyone says. :)  And now thanks to you I'm going to watch the entire series all over again. Thank you ! :) 

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Although I'm loathe to answer all the questions for you, you need to do one thing:

Allow G1 to pass. I don't mean that from a fanboy POV, but to not think of these as G1 characters. They're not. This isn't Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots. It's Optimus Primal, Captain of a survey ship.

Dinobot isn't Starscream.

Keep watching, please. This show develops very well, and by the last season, you're going to be hooked like you wouldn't believe.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dinobot is not meant to be Starscream or anything close to him.

10. Zacku

Zacku Overused Mold

Terrorsaur is the closest thing to Starscream in this show, even though.... ehhh, I won't spoil it for ya. Also, if you come across any missing episodes on YouTube, shoot me a PM, I'll help ya out.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    ugh... its like someone from 1995 time-travelled to 2007.

seriously, there's no way beast wars should be completely unfamilar as this to anyone.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You'll find out what the planet is later. they are from cybertron. the terms maximal and predacon are what the TF race is divided into now. the predacon faction name is obviously taken from the combiner group from G1. to combat the energy crisis on cybertron after the end of the great war, all transformers downsized themselves, which gave rise to the new factions. as for their names, from the way they introduce themselves in the first episode, we know that some of them have renamed themselves based on their new alternate modes (happened in G1 too, Bumblebee-Goldbug).

rattrap likes ribbing everyone, friends, enemies, and those at a higher rank. thats just his personality.

That was a maximal ship, and you'll find out later on.

Starscream isnt dinobot.

No. None of the BW cast are anyone from any previous generation, even if a few share their names. They're an entirely new cast. Optimus Primal is not a prime, not a leader. he's just the captain of a survey ship as mentioned above. Megatron is not related to the original Megatron at all. he took the name for himself, it's not his original name. and no, we never find out what his original name was.

Just accept this as a new series with new characters, and you'll fall in love with it. promise.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    well there is that one decepticon near the end...

14. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

This is helpful, thanks! It's confusing when the two leader characters have basically the same name as the G1 characters, and I instantly thought of Starscream when Dinobot challenged Megatron near the beginning. I'll have to just try and keep them separate, alternate universes in my mind. The screen quality on YouTube kinda sucks for TV watching. I assume these have been released on DVD? (of course the advantage of YouTube is that it's free.)

15. Zacku

Zacku Overused Mold

Shhh. Don't spoil it for him. ;) 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    PLEASE don't say anything else. hell, you shouldnt have even said THAT.

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    All I can say is, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! I actually like Beast Wars more than I like G1, and that is saying something. Keep watching, you will love it.

18. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I am 29 and I grew up watching G1 of course like most people my age. IMHO Beast Wars is one of the most well written, if not the best written, incarnations of Transformers to date.

-Pravus Prime is right when he says that by the end of the second season you are going to be enthralled for sure.

-I tried to make the same connections back in 1996 when BW first came out between BW and G1 but other than the names there really isn't a connection, HOWEVER, you have a few nice surprises waiting for you if you keep watching and you can't skip around on episodes or you'll pretty much be lost.

-My favorite character is and always will be Blackarachnia , she is one awesome shespider!!!

Edit

Yes they are out on DVD. I bought the set from amazon.com. Seasons 1 2 and 3. If you have the money, they are so worth the investment. As a matter of fact it's been about a year since I watched it. I think I'll start again, predacons terrorize!

19. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

If it's that critically important to have it for free, there are superior methods to Youtube... you should have an idea already. But, even if not immediately, I encourage you to try and track down the DVDs. They're so worth it. Beast Machines, too, if you can stomach even more change. :) 

Anyway, I'm in the opposite boat having just started watching G1. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I've seen episodes here and there and I've seen the beginning, middle and end, just not the in-betweens so much (eg Season 2 and Season 3, Pt 1). It's interesting going back and seeing how different it all is. I miss the lack of an overarching story, but I also appreciate it for being more bite-sized. It also enhances my appreciation of my Classics and Alts! That's the thing about Beast Wars: it's a snowball, and no where near as concerned with selling toys (so many toys that never made it to the show; practically no redos yet (well, two or three)!). Anyway, keep watching, you'll understand everything soon enough! :) 

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    make sure you watch beast wars in order. unlike G1, there's a definate order to the episodes that they all have to be watched in to make sense, aside from a few random episodes in season 1.