Just picked up classics Megatron, Takara ver.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot Snarl, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

It priced at $50 MIB, so despite the fact that I was cutting back I felt I might be missing a serious opportunity. I bought him immediately.

Wow, every joint is ratcheted, no ball joints, the plastic is unbelievable sturdy and heavy. G1 styled figures with pre oil crisis plastic and engineering, it's a marvelous thing.

I think most people would call him a shell former, but when you open the shell, none of his parts are immediately recognizable, so Id say he's not a true shell former.

My only criticism is the use of chrome, that is sure to chip, his legs are largely chrome....but painted black, so chipping the black paint would reveal chrome... Interesting.

Anyway, I love that this Megatron carries an unapologetically large and sturdy, static plasma cannon and unique angry and I might say tyrannous face sculpt.

Just my thoughts.

2. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could never bring myself to get the purple/green Hasbro Megatron, but as soon as I found the Takara one for sale at a ridiculously low price I snapped him up. I actually like the chrome and he is the CHUG gun Megatron (had to have at least one) of my collection.

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Got henkei megatron years ago. Retired him due to the CW leader and I will retire the Cw one if the TR voyager is good.

Henkei had a great color scheme but the mold has a crap head sculpt, it doesn't look like megatron it looks like some anime robot and the hip ratchets are to spaced out.

4. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

Had the hasbro version for a long time and loved it. Got rid of it and I kind of regret it. That platinum edition two pack with him and prime looks tempting, but I'm trying to hold off for TR Megs.

5. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I have the Henkei version. Got him for like, 20 bucks at Botcon a couple years back.

He's... Okay...

I don't see him being replaced any time soon, because it's doubtful that Hasbro is going to come up with a new gun Megatron. As nice as the CW leader is, it doesn't scale with my collection. I don't like the TR voyager, and I'm not willing to pay 3rd party prices for, say, Hegemon.

But I'm not a big fan of him either. His leg ratchets do that awful thing where they're either stock still or splayed out, his chest design doesn't have that classic Megatron rectangle-chest look, and overall his joints just don't lend themselves to posing. I also don't like the placement of his fusion cannon.

That being said, he is a really fun figure and I enjoy fiddling with him, but he doesn't look great on a shelf.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The only thing I never liked about this toy was the ratchets. Ratchets are good, but they lack detents. That and the underslung cannon.

Otherwise, yeah, a great figure. A time where all characters recieved upgraded looks and features.

7. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

I like him quite a bit, but some of that is nostalgia....from 2006. At that time, as far as G1ish Megatrons went, all we had at the time was the actual G1 Megs, which this is light years ahead of. He's unbelievably sturdy and well made, especially compared to today's mainline releases. But his his balance is very poor due to the cannon, the wings, and the lack of ankle tilts. And that face sculpt has not aged gracefully,
    CW Megatron has totally one upped him at this point but for a CHUG gun Megatron he is definitely worth keeping around.

8. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I have had the classics 1.0 voyager sense he first came out not once have i moved him from the leader of the deceptecons spot i have other classics megatrons but they barely hold upto how awsome that toy is.

if you have optimusprimal ultraclass take his mace and give it to that megatron it works super well, after all primal doesnt need it he has two swords a hand cannons and shoulder cannons wow he has abit of weaponery lol

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I've loved this mold since I got Nerfatron ten years ago. The Henkei version has replaced it on my shelf since then. It absolutely has its drawbacks both functionally and design wise but there hasn't been a toy come out yet to replace it as my Classics Megs.

Edit: I wouldn't worry too much about the chrome, mine hasn't chipped and I use it heavily in the web comic I throw together.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I must be the only person who really likes the face design. :/ It's really chiselled and angular in a cool way.

11. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    Nerf Megatron would probably look pretty sweet displayed along side tr Megatron

12. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Nah I love that headsculpt. Always kinda bummed I never got the United version, that has a GREAT deco.

13. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still use the Henkei as my CHUG Megatron. I have yet to find a better one. Used Hegemon as a replacement for a time but I found the transformation to be annoying

15. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I quite literally did not experience the mold until last week on Friday. Granted it's the Plaitnum edition version (which was on Amazon Lightning deal for $50+tax) but still.
    I absolutely love the figure and I'm not even sure whether to be bummed that I never got earlier versions or to be happy I have this one.
    As a mold I think it looks fantastic. it definitely evokes G1 Megatron while looking new and updated, just like the Classics line is meant to. I love the slide up shins for some reason. The legs overall give me a super Megatron vibe.
    Transformation is quite fun. I have to agree that calling it a shellformer does not do it justice. Half the alt mode is still comprised of Megatron's own parts. It seems such a jumpled mess till you clamp those shell halves together and everything holds and it looks solid. In fact the more I hold it, the more I love the gun mode. It surprises me how comfortable he is to hold despite the handle being just one leg that isn't particularly wide (front to back; not laterally). The clicky trigger is such a treat and I can't help clicking it a few times every time I hold it. Yes it's a nerf gun but I couldn't care less; it's just so fun. I conceptually oppose gun Megatron but the one reason I tolerate the idea is how fun the toys end up being (ditto for the original.)
    His stability is my biggest complaint but in all fairness I actually feel Classics Optimus suffers this problem as well which is one reason I feel CW Optimus is actually on par with it.
    I'd quite love to pick up the Henkei version as it looks pretty, I like adding Megatrons to my collection, and I like this mold enough to want every version of it.
    I AM glad I have the platinum edition though as I'm quite fond of the deco and I feel it's a nice way to skirt the gun law issues Hasbro has while still using recognizably Megatron colors AND still making it look unique and nice overall (in fact I'd dare say you're buying a nice looking Classics Megatron with an extra classics Optimus). I think this is the deco the original should've had.
    Also one other thing I really like is the size. The fact that it's just slightly bigger than Optimus works will when seeing the two together.
    This about sums up my feelings.
    Yeah the balance is definitely an issue. Classics Optimus is better in this regard due to not being as back heavy but he also suffers. I think that even the sculpted tilt some figures have has helped. I'm sure Hasbro and Takara realized the need for more stability ont these figures.
    Nope; as with your first comment I fully agree. It's unmistakably G1 Megatron but it;s still a nice head. It does feel a tad stylized but to a reasonable degree.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I got the Henkei version years and years ago on clearance with a favorable Yen/Dollar exchange rate on top of that. I had gotten the Classics version at K-Mart just before the movie came out when they were clearancing the sale price to move stock, so I got him for about $6.

There's several nice things about the mold and at the time it was one of the best Megatrons, but to me it had far too many drawbacks for me.

The ratchets in the hips may be nice, but the detents are so far apart that it's difficult to get any sort of good neutral stance, along with the foot design that despite having toes and heels can sometimes have awkward balance and stance issues.

Then we have the wings and alt mode. I have a big turnoff to "real" alt modes; G1 being a hodgepodge line had to accept molds already created. Nowadays, the only reason to do it is nostalgia. Megatron as a gun, Soundwave as a cassette player, etc. They all don't work for me. I'd rather have something "new" that makes sense into the overall scheme of alt modes; I may not be a fan of Megatron as a tank all the time, but it sure beats some weird oversized hand gun.

But hey, that's my opinion. I know lots of people love the mold and I think it's great that those who like it can have access to several different deco's to allow them to get the version they like most.

17. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Hegemon is as good as it gets for me. He looks the part. His legs are kinda chunky but he's got the best face of any CLassics CHUG Megs imo. On top of that, he's an got a nice G1 type gun mode, it's not perfect but it's the best that's available imo.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Henkei Megatron is another figure that gets love I do not understand. Ugly gun and UUUUUUGGGGLLLLYYY ridiculous looking robot; where are the good points?

But tastes differ, so congrats on your purchase.

19. Dinobot Snarl

It looks great when lit from behind, but the way the light plays on its angles it can look strange from some angles

20. Dinobot Snarl

Aside, After purchasing this guy, I was tempted into getting universe special edition Megatron, which i previously spurned due to his lack of a right hand. That mold would have been epic with a right hand.

I'm no "Megatron is a gun" fan.
    I feel like that train of thought will ruin so many figures.

I too want vehicles instead of hand held alts, but this is a special case, it must be the handfeel.