Just ordered me a Acer Aspire One (In saphire blue!)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Jan 30, 2009.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Anyone else have one of these? I actually got 2. one for me and one for GF. She got pink. SHould be here by wendsday. Ordered off walmart.com. Thats the only place that i saw that had pink in stock.

got them for $298 each. I love tax time!

2. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Acer's are the slowest POS computers going. My fiancee had a laptop and my sister`s family has a desktop and they`re both ridiculously slow and bogged down right out of the box. I personally wouldn`t touch one with a ten foot pole.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got one for wifey and it's totally ace. Got the white one. Picked it up because it was an amazing deal, about $250 US. Going to eventually pimp it out with the extra battery pack and the touch screen conversion and all that.

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'd be more concerned with longevity and overall reliability than speed at the moment. Acer's notorious for being unreliable junk. (Sorry to burst anyones bubbles here...)

I had an Acer desktop years ago, and it was fast, but quickly died. Plus, you can easily fix the speed problem on any store computer you buy. Reinstall Windows without the extra software.

XP, you can build your own installation disc from the i386 folder on your computer. (You can also slipstream SP 2 or 3 into that disc.)

Vista, you can do an activation backup and restore. It saves your OEM installation, then you can reinstall Vista with a disc bought from eBay (Anytime Upgrade Disc) or some computers came with it. Here's the thing, all of those upgrade discs contain the full version of Windows on it. Your key is the only thing that unlocks which version you have.

Either way, you can reinstall Windows, any and all drivers and required software and leave their bloatware off. (this helps speed up a computer immensely.)

Oh and $298.00 for one of these Netbooks isn't bad, it's just that it's an Acer.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not the biggest fan of Acer for the most part but I picked up one of these netbooks for university and to be honest it kicked the living crap out of my HP tablet for classes.

They are fast booting, cool running, and so far very reliable. I used it constantly in every class and never once had any problems with it mysteriosly shutting off, losing the internet, etc.

I think the 'secret' for these netbooks is that they don't come preloaded with the standard factory installed software, adware, etc that almost all premade laptops do now. They just basically come with a fresh install of xp and a few drivers. Other than that there are no bells and whistles installed.

My family heard about my success using them and actually ended up getting one for my parents and one for my sister and so far neither have had any issues with them

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i've got one that i use mostly for schoolwork. it's pretty much the same model as yours except with a 160gb hd. i got it because it was cheap and small, and i find it great. acers have gotten a lot better lately. comparing my aspire one with the 3680 my wife bought 2 years ago is like night and day. as far as netbooks go, there's nothing wrong with the aspire one.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Really? Because the Phenom 9500 based Acer desktop I use for my 3D work is an absolute brute of a machine. I have it dual booting the preinstalled Vista installation with XP Pro 64, and they both run beautifully.

10. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Well, got a phone call today that the blue one I ordered was not in stock and they appologized. I was a bit miffed and said that it shouldn't have been online then or at least say out of stock. I was all ready to give up and he said, let me place you on hold and I will brb. 5 min went by and he came back and said the walmart on bethel rd has one they are holding me and that the manager agreed to knock $25 off for my inconvienance. I'm about to go get it now. Woo hoo. I love walmart. I will write up a review of my experience tomorrow after I had a chance to play with it.

11. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    mY Mom got an acer laptop. She didn't like it, nut I loved it. It was small, portable, and had around a 2-3 hour battery life, which was understandable for it's size. She sent it back and got a Gateway laptop for $20 less.

If I get enough birthday dough, I might purchase one, for right now, my primary internet connection is through my nintendo's internet channel.

12. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I would consider a Netbook if they'd start using the dual core processors. Intel makes a dual core Atom. Plus AMD's new offerings are giving the Atom a good run for it's money.

When they start with dual cores, and it remains affordable, I might be interested. Until then, my Laptop will do everything I need, just not be as portable.

Weird thing about Netbooks... I can watch a portable DVD player, or iPod, but the screen on a Netbook just makes my eyes hurt, and even dizzies me a bit. I still can't figure it out. =\