Just need to vent: Identity Theft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TreKain, Apr 6, 2006.

1. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    May be innappropriate or not...I just need a second to vent.

2 days ago someone gained access to my Ebay and Paypal accts. During that time the bid $1,100 on a Ultima Online account, and $12,000 on a motorcycle. I discovered the action pretty quickly and Ebay retracted the $12000 bid, but the 1,100 auction was won and paid with my paypal acct before we noticed. I've contacted the seller to let them know, Ebay said they would do the same. However the transfer from my bank acct went through, so now I have to go through a whole process to try and get the money back. I havnt had a response from the seller yet, but hopefully they havnt sent the item and can just refund it back to me, but the way this has been going, Im having strong doubts. Luckily I just got my tax refund, as well as a raise at my job, so it hasnt broken me (it would have if this was done 2 months ago).

Grrrrrrr....

Is a UO acct even worth anywhere near $1100??? The seller couldnt have thought this was legit.

2. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Honestly?

The seller is probably the guy that hacked your account.

3. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That thought has crossed my mind...

4. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel your pain man. Someone tried the same thing on me a few weeks ago, but luckily they did not get control of my Paypal account and I caught it quickly. However, last year my identity was stolen, several credit cards were opened at various stores such as Sears, Macy's, etc and over $50,000.00 in merchandise was purchased in my name in a period of two weeks. Again, here I was lucky because I keep tight control of my stuff and proved that it was not my fault fast enough to have all charges waived. I swear that I would have no problem sleeping at night after torturing the people that do this to death. Life is hard enough without these lazy lowlife thieves making it more difficult.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    grayman, how did it happen?

I girl I knew at work got her bank debit card copied at a supermarket till, and her entire account was cleaned out soon after. Hence I NEVER use my debit card, only credit.

I'm actually totally paranoid about identity theft, and this guy I know who works for IT security for a big bank, NEVER uses anything online, or even card, everything is cash with him. Perhaps he knows something we don't...

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Teh goverments wants ur moneh!

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

A couple years back someone got my credit card info was stolen somehow. Someone got busted trying to buy airline tickets to South America with it. I got a call from Mastercard asking me if I was planning a foriegn vacation since the purchase was a big expense. I told them no and they handled it and sent me a new card with new numbers.

8. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

From an It technician. Ill tell you this I dont trust online transactions of any kind.
    I dont carry nothing but cash on me-even if I have devit card and credit. is just my way of being.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Amen. I use cash for everything. I work at a gas station part time and nothing pisses me off more then $2 on a debit card.

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Now I know why the credit card is only really used in the USA, at least Europeans are smart enough to mostly use cash. ;) 

That sucks though. Yeah, these people need to be thrown into a dark dungeon for the crap they pull on people. :banghead: