Just How Crazy was G1 Mass Shifting?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Molini, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

I was watching the '86 animated movie again today and realized...The Constructicons formed Friggin DEVASTATOR inside of Astrotrain, before Rumble and Frenzy brought them tumbling down.

But considering how towering Devastator has been on the cartoon, I thought that was just a ridiculous example of the abuse of mass shifting...even though that scene was pretty damn awesome, "nobody calls Soundwave uncazimatic!" pure classic!

Anyone else have any other examples of ridiculous mass shifting besides the obvious Soundwave and Megatron ones?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

It's all much of a muchness. I mean, the Stunticons must mass shift like crazy to make sure that Menasor (a robot made of cars) is as big as Superion (a robot made of jets). How big is Skyfire's jet mode compared to his robot mode to allow him to carry the Autobot strike force to Peru? A cassette turning into something the size of a human is pretty impressive when you think about it. Etc, etc.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The fact that anyone was actually able to hold megatron as a gun, or the fact that the tape deck transformers could be picked up by humans are good examples. Even if they could have shrunk to that size by changing their volume, their mass wouldn't change and they would have remained ridiculously dense. it would have been like picking up a tape deck made of lead.

4. Optimus Sledge

That's why it's referred to as "mass shifting," not "size shifting." ;)  But yeah, I don't think any example is really any more unfeasible than any other. They're all pretty mind-blowing if you really think about it.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought G1 mass shifting was believable in an 80's cartoon kinda way.

Optimus Prime forming Omega Prime in Energon to take on Unicron just seemed stupid.

6. Molini

Yeah I never questioned it as a kid either. But Devastator inside Astrotrain?

That went over my head even more as a kid I guess, or I just didn't realize they were still in him I don't remember that far back anymore.

7. Optimus Sledge

Astrotrain was one of the characters with a more... "fluid" approach to mass shifting. Some characters didn't really do it at all (most of the Autobot cars and Decepticon jets), whereas other characters had two or three fixed sizes they could become. Megatron had a gun mode suitable for Transformers to use, and one suitable for humans to use, both smaller than his robot mode. But Astrotrain... at times he was big enough to hold several Decepticons, in the movie he could accomodate Devastator, but in "Blaster Blues" his shuttle mode was small enough for Omega Supreme to hold him one-handed (of course, Omega only HAS one hand, but you get the idea). Astrotrain was, ultimately, as big as the script called for.

8. Molini

Megatron small enough for a human hand...really? Do you remember which episode that was?

9. Optimus Sledge

"Day Of The Machines." Megatron in gun mode is stored in a guitar case.

10. Molini

I remember that episode now! that's the one where him and soundwave stowed away to get put with the confiscated items and then Megs intput his personality into that Super Computer.

Damn, yeah that's some crazy mass shifting.

11. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

This is how crazy...

A car could be bigger and stronger than a jet.
    'Nuff said.

12. Optimus Sledge

IIRC, Soundwave was drawn WAY too big for some reason. Scale: it's a kinda optional thing for G1. :D 

13. solitudinal

solitudinal /B/anned

News Credits:
    I recall Perceptor being used by Chip Chase as an actual microscope once? Or am I remembering things wrongly.

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, Perceptor was used as an actual microscope. Can't remember what episode it was, though. But yeah, that's like the only time that Perceptor was that small in his alt-mode. Usually he's pretty big for a 'scope.

15. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Isn't there an episode where Megatron rides in one of the coneheads?

16. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    He also had one that was the same size as his robot mode in "S.O.S. Dinobots." He transformed but stayed the same size, and linked up to Starscream's undercarriage.

17. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 'Con fight inside Astrotrain is a good example, but the one that ALWAYS gets me is Galvatron and Cyclonus standing next to each other, transforming, and then Galvy hopping in Cyclonus's COCKPIT and the pair flying away in the movie...

18. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    What cracks me up is Megatron.

I mean, he could become a gun which could fit a human at times, and also a TF....

Remember how Starscream and Soundwave shot using him before?

Talk about inconsistent mass changing....

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    One thing I always wondered was if Soundwave gave his cassettes any warning when he transformed so they could change size too to match. It'd be a bit of a bugger if Soundwave transformed to small tape deck mode and his cassettes stayed the same large size for when he's in robot mode. T'would likely be rather painful for Sounders.
    I guess while they were in his chest he linked his mass-shifting circuits to theirs and put the whole process under his control.
    Shark versus Lion!

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I remember when Trailbreaker once rode in Huffer's cab, sitting behind the driver's wheel and all.