Just Graduated College...Now What?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matrixprime, Jan 13, 2010.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just like the title says, I just finished my BA in Business Administration from the University of Missouri - St. Louis. UMSL makes you choose a specialization in their business program and my choice was Logistics and Operations Management. My longterm goal is to actually work for Hasbro if an opening comes up, but I'm not holding my breath. I was wondering if any of you guys who have full time careers could give me some pointers as where to go and what to do now that I have graduated.

Thanks!

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Classified,monster.com, hotjobs.com and such will help you find something. You can try getting your feet wet with banks, finance companies and such. Make sure you got a decent resume.

3. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most jobs these days ask for at least 3-5 years experience in the field. I never took an internship, so I have less experience that most college graduates. How do I get around this?

4. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

It's not difficult... Find a job.

You better find one, or because of this economy, offer to volunteer. I was lucky to get my "internship to job." Without it, it's next to impossible.

5. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While that's all fine and dandy, there's no way I can quit my current job that I work full time at to take an internship that pays less or volunteer my time for free. I'll end up in the poor house before I even find a job. :p 

My girlfriend was the same way though. She found a "internship to job" position and went with it because her school required an internship and she was not as in debt as I.

I guess, more or less, how do you decide whether or not you want to work locally or move, how to afford something like that, and even the most basic of questions where to apply. My degree has very little restrictions so I don't know where to even start looking.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    ah the age old conundrum you have to experience to get hired but how can you get experience with out a job? I have no suggestions but i wish you luck.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If you can find the answer to your issue Matrixprime, send me a hollar, Ill be in your posistion in a year or 2.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Stay with your parents/parent even after you have a job and save up as much money as you can. And don't be in a hurry to marry/move in with a girl. Take some time just for you.

9. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Go to the big jobsites, post your resume on there.. who knows, you may end up doing something completely unrelated to your major. I'd also suggest USAJobs - the Federal Gov't job site. Just apply everywhere, and hope someone will take interest.

Experience is experience - if you've been working, it's at least something. Sure, it's not related to your major but it still counts. Not all of us have our education paid for by mommy and daddy, and have to work throughout school. We can't do full time unpaid internships (or 8.00/hr ones). Just accept that in this economy any job offer is amazing - even if it wasn't what you expected. Remember that there are lots of people in college with no work experience - just rich parents. :lol  They're more SOL than you are!

I'll be in the same boat in about a semester. I have experience in the federal government, plus I have my clearance. I'm still terrified about finding a good job. Ugh.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Id say try going with a local business in order to use your degree and get some experience in. For example, with your degree you could help a business grow by helping them advertise, increase their customer base, so on

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Go get married? Keep getting degrees. That is what I am going to do, uhh the going to get higher degrees I mean.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, I had a part time job during college and afterwards I kept it regardless of being over qualified just for some income. Second, I looked for jobs in my field that didn't pay so well and asked a lot of me and I got one pretty fast. That allowed me to quit the part time job. During my time at the low paying job, I was getting experience and working on my resume and portfolio and within six months found something great.

I know that wouldn't always work, but I know that if I found myself jobless, I would look for anything and if I got something not that great I would just work that until I found something better. I really don't recommend going to get more degrees unless money is not a concern at all. The more time you spend "outside the real world" the harder it will be to break into it when you need to.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    To be honest, these are question you should have been asking yourself, your academic advisers, and your professors at least a year before you planned on graduating. And unless you're planning on going into academia, you almost have to go out for an internship. Especially in a field as wide as business. Right now your best bet is to get a steady job and stick with it for a couple of years, even if it's an associate manager at McDonald's. You need to show that you can hold down a job and not just sitting around mooching off of someone else. There are fewer things worse on a resume than periods of time where it looks like you're not working, regardless of whether you're a college grad or not.

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

When all else fails you could try male prostitution. It's really an untapped market. As a business student you should appreciate that.

In all seriousness though... beats me what you should do. I graduated two years ago and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.

15. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

MOVE TO NEVADA
    Nevada brothel seeks first male prostitutes - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

Careful, because your customers may not be women.

16. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could go back to school and get your MBA. I just graduated as well and I'm getting my Master's in engineering.

Experience is always a plus when looking for a job, but it didn't really help while I was looking. I scored tons of interviews and follow-ups but never an actual job offer. Oh well, thank God for fellowships :) 

17. matrixprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm making it a point tomorrow after my dentist appointment to go to the career development center at school and see what's up with them and what they can do to get me a job now that I have my degree.

18. Dark_Rage

Dark_Rage Jaded Member

You're "down under", studying!

You might want to consider the intrinsic value of getting an MBA (if it's really worth the additional debt load), aren't there experience requirements as well usually? (They have that requirement in Canada, usually).

There's always teaching overseas, but each country varies of course.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I think you can get on Hasbro. No, Im sure of it.

Go for it man, follow the dream. You can do it brah