Just got the Headmasters DVD set.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    For my birthday, my bud got me the Headmasters DVD set from SHOUT. Man, I forgot these were even out!
    I guess I have some watching ahead of me.

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Nice. Got all three Madman sets for christmas 2010

3. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

Let us know how much you're going to love sixshot once headmasters is over. Oh, and don't forget to let us know how much you love wheelie and daniel. I should also mention you're going to love when rodimus just randomly decides to abandon his troops after regaining his prime "powers". The last episode is especially climatic, and doesn't just leave you scratching your head wondering why you just wasted all this time watching the cartoon.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you'll enjoy it, the series is not as bad as everyone says it is

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For goodness sake don't bother with the English dub, watch it with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

6. XanatosVanBadas

XanatosVanBadas Active Member

"light out darkest hour!"

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The English dub isn't even on these DVDs. Unfortunately.

8. doomboy536

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What? But the best viewing experience of the Headmasters is after you've finished the series in Japanese with English subs, you then go back and watch it with the English dub and English subs. It's the funniest Transformers series ever made!

9. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I know, that's the unfortunate part! Hasbro wouldn't approve the dub to be released to its main audience or something

10. doomboy536

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a shame. Luckily I have the set I bought in the UK a few years ago so I can continue to enjoy the adventures of Wally, Sparkle and Spaceship Bruce.

11. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whatever happened to the headmasters/masterforce/victory set from shout?

12. Abrogate

News Credits:
    That got delayed, I think it's slated for December

13. XanatosVanBadas

XanatosVanBadas Active Member

Indeed. The main issue I feel is that the series (after having finally been brought here after so many years) suffered immense hype backlash. On the surface, the show has a lot of excellent concepts (Optimus/Rodimus team up, Blaster and Soundwave's fight to the death, the war's escalating leading to Cybertron's destruction, etc.) that are just executed in the . . . well, DULLEST way imaginable. Really, THAT is the show's greatest sin. It can get really boring due to possibly the bad direction or the uninspired music.

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Headmasters for what it is... a continuation of the G1 cartoon. However, the reason it was boring was because it was a big long continuation (like AEC) with no breaks for "filler" character episodes, so the individual characters don't have nearly the characterization as the first three seasons.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

my son loves the headmasters and targetmasters from the end of season 3/4. i wanted to pick these up for him but now i see they are not in english. wasupwitdat?

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I picked up the Headmasters set myself; haven't had the chance to watch it. Though, I probably should have waited for the complete Japanese G1 set from Shout. xD

Translating the episodes into English is expensive, and it would have jacked the price up for the Headmasters set (which Shout! listed as $18.99 on their online store). So, unfortunately... no English dub. Only Japanese with English subtitles.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I also got this set and enjoyed it. It's okay. But, believe it or not, I prefer The Rebirth over Headmasters by a pretty wide margin.

Headmasters has some good parts and is definitely worth watching, but none of the characters feel like the Marvel/Sunbow characters we grew up watching and reading. Japan just has different sensibilities, and as much as I love a lot of anime, they just never "got" the Transformers, imo. They mangled the TF concept as badly as America mangled Macross, Southern Cross, Gatchaman, etc. That said, Headmasters is definitely closest to US Transformers out of the Japanese series. Masterforce and especially Victory (as fun a show as that is) should have been called something different and been their own original franchise, imo.

I don't want to give away any story spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched the series yet, but on the plus side, they did kind of fix what I thought was a big mistake of TF season 3. On the other hand, I thought the new origin of the Headmasters was a little nonsensical and I don't like the absence of the Nebulon connection (as goofy of character designs as they may have been in Rebirth). Or the fact that Spike doesn't become Cerebros' head, as in the US season 4 and in the toy.

And oh yeah, the Headmasters music is HORRIBLE. Teeth-gratingly bad. It sounds like a mid-1980s infomercial. One man, his first generation Casio synthesizer, and two unexciting background songs played over and over and over. Maybe the worst aspect of the show.

18. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Iv been watchin these episodes on youtube for right now. I wasnt sure if i would enjoy the series , but now that im 5 , or 6 shows deep , I might as well buy the dvds. Question though , is this headmaster series supposed to take place directly after season 3 of G1 , an ignore season 4 altogether? Or watch G1 seasons 1-4 then the Headmaster series?

19. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Watch ROOP.

Ignore Rebirth.

then continue on with Headmasters :-0

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Headmasters replaces season 4 of the US series. Japanese continuity goes off in a completely different direction with a completely different origin and explanation for the Headmaster characters.

But, imo, season 4, aka "The Rebirth" is much more true to the spirit of the original animated series. Even taking into account its flaws.

And Headmasters has its own flaws anyway. I enjoy both, but consider Headmasters (along with Masterforce, Victory, Zone, etc.) an alternate universe continuity from original US G1 seasons 1-3. In fact, the Japanese version of the series started making changes to their TF continuity prior to their airing of season 3.