just got the 60gb ps3...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ssjautobot, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    i just traded in my 20gb ps3 for a 60gb hard drive, and i have a couple questions for internest use.

when connecting wirelessly, do i need to use my personal computer to be able to connect, or can i connect to some other server? because i tried to connect to a sever, but i only found one, and it only had a signal strength of 7 percent.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you need a wireless router.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking speculatively as I don't have a PS3, but...

I'd figure you'd be connecting to your router, which'd be WiFi enabled.

*edit*
    Valkysas is a KILLSTEALER

4. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    thanks! ill look into that

5. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, a wireless router is the way to go. Works flawlessly for me!

6. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for the help. how much do they usually go for?

edit: and do you recommend any particular brand?

7. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Linksys wireless routers are really good. I would check out the PS3 website if I were you and see if they recommend any.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

My cheapo Linksys WRT54G works great.

9. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I got a new D-link router because my PS3 wasn't fully compatible with the one I had. It was regularly $80 on sale at Best Buy for $50 a couple of weeks ago. You should be able to find a good one for no more than $50 at any given time though.

10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I'm starting to realize the PS3 is a $600 piece of shit. It can have severe problems connecting to the internet, especially wireless. The only way it will connect wireless for me is if I completely disable any and all security. It's pretty pathetic. It will fail everytime if there are any security options set, even though it lets you input these options in the network setting on the PS3. My PSP works fine with the exact same setup, but not the PS3. In fact, everything else works. Laptop, and Wii as well. Shouldn't the newer, more expensive item handle things better, not worse?

Now today I decide to start up FF12 finally since having owned it for 2 months. I hadn't even opened it yet since my PS2 just recently stopped reading PS2 discs. I got the PS3, thought I could finally play it. I can, but it looks HORRIBLE! Apparently the brains at Sony F'd up again, and it seems 480i games get a little funky on the PS3, and there is a lot of pixel flipping which makes the image extremely jagged.

Then of course is that issue about downscaling games on TVs that don't support 720p instead of upscaling them to 1080i. Thankfully with my new TV that's not a problem, but if I hadn't just upgraded, I'd be getting Sony's "true HD" at a whopping 480p resolution.

I'm not sure Sony has done anything right with this system. Not anything at all.
    I haven't tried any PS3 games yet (except the very dull GT HD I downloaded) since there aren't any worth bothering with, and I haven't gotten to try any Blu-Ray discs yet (I'm ebaying Ricky Bobby), so hopefully that works ok. It's the main reason I bought the system now besides playing FF12. The operating system seems to take up a whopping 10 GB on the HD. And it's a very basic OS too. Basically the same as the PSP, but without being able to have themes. Very unimpressive when compared with the stylistic blade system on the Xbox 360. It's no wonder the system is becoming a shelf warmer.

11. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    I won't argue with you about the 360 navigations being nicer, but it just sounds like you're a little bitter after buying one and not doing much research.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    FFXI takes requires a 10 GB portion of the hard drive, not the operating system.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

That's nice, but he's playing 12.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    arg, misread the number.

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I've done enough research. I'm bitter at poor quality. I knew there were no good games. Wasn't too big a deal for me, they'll come eventually. And I knew about the downconversion on games on old TVs, but that wasn't an issue for me anymore either, a bad move by Sony sure, but nothing to effect me. I did however expect the system to be competent when it came to doing wireless internet. If they can make the PSP work without any problems, there is no reason for the PS3 to have so many issues for so many people. And I also expected the backwards compatibility to not make some games almost unbearable to look at.

Sony has gone to great lengths to hype themselves up, and put out a very expensive console (which I personally have no issue with considering it has a Blu-Ray player inside) that has failed to deliver on many of the things they said it would, and has done very poorly in many others. There's no exuse for them to not have these things worked out, especially the internet issues, especially since they had half a year delay because of Blu-Ray to fix anything that needed fixing.

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sorry you're having trouble with your PS3 and wireless connectivity, but I've yet to experience any of the issues you're having. And congats to the starter of this thread on picking up the most bang for the buck piece of technology on the market. Enjoy!

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    (This is ChldsPlay).

I know it's not a universal problem with the internet, but from what I have seen it is a significant problem for a large # of people. I'm going to be getting a new router, there seem to be a few that nobody has problems with, but I shouldn't have to buy a new router when all the other devices I have connect just fine. And the PS2 games looking bad as far as I know is a universal PS3 problem, though it is game dependent.

18. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

well they'll update the firmware sometime and all those evil annoyances will float away like dust in the wind...

19. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

Dude if you dont like it, dont buy it, but dont come out saying it a piece of shit, when it isnt, good game are coming out, i mean AWESOME GAMES are, so far my PS3 has no problem AT ALL, your just unlucky

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He bought it, he can call it a piece of shit if he wants to. as far as he's concerned, it is. you obviously have different game preferences than he does, and different standards of quality. to him, it's a piece of shit and he can say that all he wants. at least he owns it, instead of making an uninformed opinion like most people.