Just got my 1st movie fig

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Prime's Pappa, May 10, 2010.

1. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

Walmart had the beachcomber 2 pac on sale for 10 bucs so I decided I would get him since I have always loved the character and since he will never be released as a TFA fig...I gave the forklift to my son and have had a chance to play around with beachcomber and have to say he is disapointing...The movie figs are just to organic looking for me...He is quite flimsy and I hate how he he basically stands on his lights...It is a pretty weak design...I also realized he is really just a repaint...I mean I knew he was a repaint already but he is a true repaint in the fact that none of his personality comes out in the toy...Beachcomber would never have guns...especially ones that are as big as he is...this is clearly a combat vehicle and he is not a soldier...the bio is weak and still does not make me feel they really paid attention to his character as it seems like just an excuse to repaint a fig that has guns for a character that is a being of peace...That was my 1st and last purchase for the movie toy line

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
  3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    not ever character has to be just like their g1 counterpart dude... i love that mold, and have the original, but i might buy that one just to have a movie beachcomber... and just because you're for peace doesn't mean you can't carry a gun...

also, if you're only going to get one movie figure, make it Bludgeon... he's vastly superior to most scout figures...

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like beachcomber- i just didn't want a 2-pack.
    the mold is great, the colors are ok, and poseable.

now i wish we could get more of the mini-bots. i want a scout Cosmos!

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You know what they call a pacifist in the movie universe? Dead.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the Dune Runner version of this mold and I find it pretty lame. It may not be ideal to judge all movie toys by its example.

7. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

Judging the entire movie line off that one figure is lame.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    He seems to be judging the movie line, not so much off the mold itself, but the fact that the mold doesn't fit his conceptions of what Beachcomber should be. Which is even lamer, really, since the mold wasn't designed to be Beachcomber in the first place.

However, even if you leave that aside and just look at the mold's own merits, it's true that Dune Runner is one of the more generic figures in the line, and not a good basis for judgement. Bludgeon or Mindwipe would be better offerings.

10. LegoNinja

LegoNinja Well-Known Member

Like Zap Brannigan and those filthy Nuetrals! You never know where you stand with them.

For OP ROTF Beachcomber's mold isn't as awesome as say...Landmine/Armorhide which I would highly recommend.

11. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seek crap, find crap.

i tend to look for gems in all TF lines and that's what i find. it's more fun that way.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT. Man, the forklift mold that you gave your kid is awesome. Play with that one!

13. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

I do agree that 'Comber probably wouldn't have those guns. However, there is a time and place for everything and as much as pacifist Beachcomber is I don't think he's stupid. If the moment called for it I have a feeling he would pick up a gun to defend himself or friends. Plus, in Movieverse terms not all characters are gonna be identical to there G1 counterparts there's going to be some artistic liberties, no? As it is that particual mold/character design wasn't originally done even for Beachcomber we got it for Dune Runner.

Now, if this set is your first and your last that's fine if you'd rather, but judging the entire line by on box of repaint molds doesn't seem very fair. There have been plenty of nice figure to come out of the line so far. Maybe not all of them are winners, but there are a hefty some of good ones.

...Meanwhile, as far as Beachcomber's RoTF toy goes you can just pop those little suckers off if you want. That's what I did. They're not attached by pins so it's pretty easy. Or you could do a little hunting for a Universe Beachcomber for yourself to my knowledge they stayed pretty true to the original.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny, i usually call him:

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I freaking love Beachcomber. But then again, I've always loved that mold. But yeah, I wouldn't judge the entire line on one figure.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think the Dune Runner mold is one of ROTF's best figures, so I don't think you're judging the line on a weak example. I love that little guy.

It's true that the guns are out of place for Beachcomber, but guess what, they're easily removable.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I suspect I got a lame one. His guns won't even point straight.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, did you (OP) miss the Universe/Classics/25th Anniversary Legends versions of the Mini-spies? From your post, it sounds like they'd be right up your ally. Plus they're fun as hell.

I loathe the movies. I loathe the movie aesthetic. I generally think less of people who tell me face to face that they actually enjoyed the movies. I loathe 95.8% of the movie figures, if not more. However, judging the entire line on an exclusive "throw away" redeco isn't doing the line justice. Disliking Baron Ransack Von Joy (and/or his repaint, who will always be Red Baron Ransack Von Joy), Bludgeon, Ejector, Legends Jolt, even Voyager Megatron would at least make you seem more grounded and less arbitrary.