Just got home from the hospital

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, May 8, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Was at the gym this morning doing my cardio workout when something unusual happened. I usually do 20 minutes at my target heart rate of 153. Normally, I can keep it above that with no problems. Today however, was a different story. As soon as my heart rate would climb above 150, I would have sharp pains in my chest. When my heart rate dropped, the pain would go away. After the second time, I thought it was time to get off the machine. As I was leaving the gym, it was no longer hurting. I assume because my heart rate was back to normal. So I went on to work like any other day.
    Throughout the day, every time I would do something strenuous, the sharp pain would come back. Nothing like you see when someone has a heart attack, and their grabbing their chest as though it were gonna jump out and run away. Just a bit of a nuisance. By the time I got off work at 6:30, the pain was still coming and going. I called the nurseline that our company has and talked to one of the nurses. She asked a bunch of questions and I answered honestly. She advised me to seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY because it could be cardio related. So off to the ER I went.
    When I went in and told them I had been experiencing mild chest pain, they pretty much rushed me into the back and immediately started hooking me up to a bunch of machines. They ran an EKG to see what was going on. For how little pain I was in, this sure was alot of fuss. I expected questions like "how much does it hurt on a scale of 10" first. Anyway, 3 hours later I am released with a diagnosis. My heart is fine, but the muscles around it are what's giving me problems. I'm to take it easy ( no gym ) for atleast a week and take ibuprofen. Man, what a night. It seems weird to just write off these chest pains as "nothing to worry about". Every part of me wants to say, "But it's always bad to feel pain in that part of the chest." But, they are one of the top heart hospitals in the country so I trust 'em.
    All right, I'm going to bed now.

2. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

get better soon and take care of yourself.

3. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude... If I had chest pains for over an hour I'd go to the doctor as soon as I could. But at least it didn't come out to be bad news for you.

4. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

As soon as I started reading your post I thought that it was probably a muscle pain because I've experienced them myself. They are indeed sharp and hurt like hell. Not to mention the flood of anxiety they give you. Take it easy!

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yikes. be careful there man. dont exert yourself.

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I had this exact same problem about 2 or 3 years ago, sharp pains in my chest, went to the hospital got an EKG and they said it was the muscles around my heartt.

Mine was stress induced, and it didn't help that I weighed about 300lbs at the time.

They had me take prescription naproxen and take it easy for a few weeks.

Chest pains are scary as hell, I'm glad to hear it sounds like everything will be ok.

7. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

My dad had the same thing a few years ago. Really badly too - he rushed straight to the hospital after he got off the plane he was on. Pretty freaky, especially since he was about 50 at the time.

He never really spoke about it, but I believe his was stress related as well. You may want to check into things and see if you're more stressed about something than you're aware.

Take care of yourself.

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope you feel better soon. Give me a call when you get a chance.

9. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I've had that before too, or something very similar when I was about 13/14. I some how damaged an assortment of muscles in my chest that made it nigh impossible to breathe at certain points and it hurt a fair bit. I went to the Doctor and he gave me painkillers but he called back the next day, which was a Saturday and had me come back in so he could send me to hospital. It's weird to think I just laughed at it at the time but in retrospect it actually fucked me up quite a bit, it's taken me a long time no t to shit myself everytime I get a weird twinge or my chest itches or something.
    Anyway, take care and take it easy.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

blimey dude, that sounds scary. if there ever was an excuse to put your feet up, thats it.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Take care of yourself man and take some time to relax. You may need one or two days off of work.

12. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Glad to hear that you are ok...always best to have it checked out when dealing with the heart...you deserve a break...go buy yourself a transformer... :thumb 

13. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    My dad (he's 54) also had this problem once when he went jogging, so far there's no prob about it as he tries to control his sugar level.

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow, glad to hear you're ok though. at least you regularly DO go to the gym at a younger age. it's when people treat their bodies like crap for 40 years and then decide that it's time to do something that people usually have problems.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just take it easy and hopefully it will indeed be ok. Glad you got it checked out.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Well, I treated my body like absolute crap for the first 27 years. I wouldn't be surprised that the sudden change to healthier eating and exercise had something to do with it.

The good news I got from the Dr is that at 29 years of age, I have the heart of a 19 year old. I can't remember the technical name for it, but she said it was an immature heart. Even though it sounds weird, it's actually a good thing. :) 

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hope you'll be better soon.
    I was amazed how cool you had been through your ordeal, if it were me I'd worry about the pain so much I'd make myself actually ill.

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

This is the function of a higher power that disagrees with you working out.

I had the same thing in college. Sharp pains for a few days, they hooked me up to an EKG, and determined I had pulled a muscle in my rib cage.

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I can sort of relate to this.

I pulled a muscle after working out last night.

Then again in the shower this morning.

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I was too tired when I got home last night. :(