Just got Encore Bruticus and I'm a little concerned.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shockwave 75, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

While I have a full set of the CR Combatrons, I've never had a proper Bruticus so I decided to order one from Automaton Toys, they gave a great "damaged box" discount.

Anyways...enough shilling.

I love them, they're great, but as the topic title says, I'm a little concerned. Someone either here or on another board said that they suffer from mold degradation, now I see what they mean. They still look great, but the details don't seem to be as sharp as they should be, and this isn't helped by the plastic that Takara/Tomy chose to use. They feel like knock-offs!

I keep comparing them to my Combatrons, but then I remember that the Combatrons are 10 years old and 4 castings away (including this one). Since CR we've had the RID Ruination version, then the urban cammo version, "desert" cammo version, and now the Encore version.

While I'm glad that they retained the mold changes that were made for CR which are mostly just the weapons combining, but even here the degradation shows. My Swindle's large gun fits very loosely in his hand, to the point of falling out, his small gun won't sit flush against the side when attached to the large gun, and Blast Off's gun doesn't fit securely into Onslaught's gun when combined.

And again I must voice my displeasure at the quality, or lack there-of, of the plastic they chose to use.

My concern is for the molds themselves. Since it would seem that only the Combatacons and the Seacons have survived the years I think Hasbro and Takara/Tomy should do all that they can to save them so that we don't loose these ones as well. I'd hate to have one day read the announcment that they can't ever reissue the Combatacons again because the mold is no longer usable.

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's not surprising. The combaticons mold has been used so much more than any other g1 combiner mold.

Also, I think this goes in toy discussion

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I have to admit, I was amazed they could squeeze any more figures out of those molds in the first place.

4. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

As I've said elsewhere, what happened with the Combaticons' mold is why I roll my eyes whenever TakaraTomy claims "quality issues" are a reason why they don't just reverse-engineer molds for Mirage, Wheeljack, and Sunstreaker. It's a ridiculous argument when knockoff makers can provide figures with better mold quality than the official makers of the toy...

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The Predacon molds are still around. And I'd be surprised if some of the other teams' molds aren't still in existence, too.

As far as reissuing the Combaticons goes, I don't see why Takara/Tomy or Hasbro would do so at this point. There have been about half a dozen releases of those figures in the last ten years - by this point everyone who really wanted them should have them. I think the molds should be permanently retired at this point. This, of course, means that we'll probably get another reissue of them sometime down the line, probably with even more visible and intrusive degradation. Tak/Tomy and Hasbro never let a little mold degradation stop them from releasing more and more of that figure, after all. Isn't that right, Classics Seekers mold?

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been years since we've heard any new information about the availability of the combiner molds. The last thing I seem to remember hearing was that Hasbro had wanted to roll out the Stunticons or Aerialbots during RiD/Universe 1.0, but couldn't find them. We got three versions of the Combaticons during that time, though (Ruination, the tiger-striped one, and the white & grey one)

I'd bet we'll see at least one more appearance of the Seasons (in Encore, perhaps) but hopefully the Combaticons will be retired at this point.

7. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to love this guy too. I really did. I never owned a full combiner as a kid and when I decided to get back into Transformers the Encore line just came around.

So imagine how my excitement dwindled to utter disappointment when I opened them up for the first time. Cracking open that box, I took out each Combaticon with the music from 'Starcream's Brigade' combining scene playing in my head (you know, the music they also use in G.I.Joe) accompanied by my grunts. By then end of it I was just a sad panda with the amount of fail I just bought. Example: in bot mode Swindle's legs won't extend, so he's basically a potato

Just combine them and leave Bruticus as is...just like how I treat my crappy KO combiners

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hugs my Vintage MIB Japanese Giftset and Mint loose US originals.

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    My previous posts about this: