Customs: just getting into customising but im stuck

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by richxy, May 3, 2011.

1. richxy

richxy Member

hello all, thought id put a post in here as id imagine this is where ill spend most of my time looking at all the help in the threads

now ive just started getting into all this model making and just completeed two pg gundam kits which im very happy about but my passion is transformers, so i decided im going to do a custom optimus prime leader class and started to take an 07 version apart until i snapped a peg off taking a wheel off so ive opend a roft the one and started dismantling

im now stuck as i carnt seem to get the battery pack apart or torso apart, i can see the screws i need to get too but the arm is pinned there and i carnt get to the other side due to the battery pack in the way

i need it apart as i want to remove the speaker as its annoying and i want the original batteries to power up a couple more leds i want to fit

so has anyone got any ideas or guides how to take it a part, once i actually get started ill get some pics of it up

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If it's just a pin, simply heat up the plastic around it with a soldering iron, and then knock out the pin with a hammer and a sharp object. The heat with widen the hole around the pin.

If it is a capped pin (you can only see it from one side, and it is much wider), which is the type that holds wheels as the axle (it's easy to tell if it is capped), it's a similar approach, but you need to destroy more plastic. The soldering iron should melt away the plastic around it, and then use a pair of pliers to pull it out.

3. richxy

richxy Member

yes its just a pin but you can only get to one end due to the battery pack hiding the other end

im unsure if people just leave the torso and arm assemblies intact and paint complete, but as i want to run off the original board and take the speaker out i need to work out how to get it apart lol

when i get home ill upload some pics of my problem

heres my gundams ive finished aswell to show my first customs, so im really looking forward to doing prime

pg strike and wing zero - Hobby Fanatics

4. Treadshot A1

Heat the plastic around the pin, then try to pull it out with pliers. You might end up destroying the existing electronics, though.

Also, for your gundams, there's a Let's see your Gundams thread in the Toyark section of this forums (scroll down).

5. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The chest cavity of the ROTF Leader Prime can not be taken apart without detroying the figure. Better to mask off parts you don't want painted.

6. richxy

richxy Member

bugger thats not good lol, so no way of removing the speaker then

7. Treadshot A1

If you dont want it, I suggest simply killing it like any other electronic device: submerge it. Of course, do this with appropriate precautions. That should permanently destroy it.

Otherwise, take out the batteries, duh.

8. richxy

richxy Member

thats easy enough to take batteries out but i still need the leds working lol

submurging it in a solution would be stupid as the connections for everything else will easily rot over time

9. richxy

richxy Member

ive managed to get it apart, i had to cut the inside of the battery holders to release the pack, luckily you dont see this as the cover covers i, only downside is the push up button wont work anymore due to springs resting against this panel which isnt a big deal really

so ive took all the circuits out now, and im gona wire in a new led for the head, use the oriinal chest leds aswell and put a switch somewhere so these can be on or off instead of flashing

im also gona run another switch so in truck mode ican have head lights on and tail lights, well will have to see but thats my plan anyhow for lights, ill get the chest side done first so i can get it back together for painting as its gona need some gluing now