Just finished watching Headmasters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tusko, Sep 7, 2011.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I just finished watching the Japanese Headmasters and I really liked it.
    It was great to see characterization added to Skullcruncher and Apeface who were dear childhood toys to me. I loved that the Decepticons advanced their plans through metallurgy which makes sense for robots. There was good adventure, Wheelie didn't rhyme and the animation was enjoyable!
    I was only disappointed by the last episode where the care-bear friendship stare defeated the bad guys.

2. Luka63

Luka63 Lukabot

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, might take a look into it myself one day.

Although... "care-bear friendship stare"?

Really..?

3. UltraMarknus

UltraMarknus Well-Known Member

I am half way through. The thing I have been enjoying is that the Decepticons are not bumbling idiots ALL the time. They actually get some crazy $#@* done!

4. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Yeah... I tried giving Headmasters a shot. But the excessive amount of cheese, iffy animation and horrid dialogue hurt. I gave up not terribly long after the big Blaster/Soundwave fight, because even that wasn't enough to make the proceedings less excruciatingly painful.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    That's how I felt, Ultramarknus.

I've never seen any of the Japanese series. I guess Masterforce and Victory are next.

Its easier with the episodes back to back to get into the goofiness of it. But once immersed its enjoyable to see new life breathed into old toys.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Once you get past that, I was impressed because Zarak is truly evil. The goofiness levels out a bit, but its a kids cartoon. Still Scorponok is an impressive villain in the series middle.

7. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

2 words "ninja consultant".

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    That's kinda one of the upsides of Headmasters; the good guys lose about as often as they win, which prevents Scorponok from suffering of villain decay and Galvatron to gain back some of the menace he lost during season 3.

I don't understand why people hate Chromedome so much. I mean, SixShot kills one of his childhood friends, then Zarak tortures another, first for information, then for shits and giggles, then strap a bomb on him and send him marching back home, forcing Chromedome to kill him.

All of which does end up making Sixshot's eventual heel face turn even more ridicilous...

9. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

How is that? I thought Sixshot had a good reason for wavering on his loyalty to Zarak. In a sense it kinda reminded me of the Armada Starscream. He never truly left the Decepticon cause, he just disliked working for an untrustworthy leader. If Galvatron thought you were a traitor he'd tell you so to your face and then shoot you. Zarak was the opposite. He never directly confronted you, he either plotted to get rid of you, hoping you'd never find out or just take a cheap shot.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Headmasters is entertaining. People over-blow how bad it is. Glad to hear you liked it.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah, but "Uncle Sixshot"?

I can imagine him giving away Scorponok and his cohorts out of sheer spite and not out of some particular like for the Autobots though. If he took Sixknight's place in Masterforce, that would actually bring his arc into a nice conclusion.

Well, maybe without the whole "blowing up and dying" part.

12. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Headmasters is plain boring, cant wait for Masterforce and Victory to come on DVD

13. HarryFA1

HarryFA1 Rank #14

News Credits:
    I've only seen up to Episode 20, but the thing that get's me is when Rodimus leaves he's like "I'm going to find a new planet for us to live on even though the set-ups we've got on Athenia and Earth seem good enough, also i'm taking Kup & Blurr with me but Arcee can't come because girl's aren't allowed". Seriously, WTF? And why are none of the Decepticons remotely pissed with Scorponok for blowing up their home planet?

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I guess the Autobots were too shocked about Rodimus leaving them at their darkest hour. Anyway, I enjoyed Headmasters for what it was.

15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I saw this series when I went to Best Buy yesterday. Is this a continuation of G1 season 4?

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It continues G1 in Japan. It ignores Rebirth. It picks up right after the Return of Optimus Prime.

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well, Galvatron did. I think it would've been a great ending for him to die at the destruction of Cybertron while performing a desperate (and some might even call heroic) attempt to save his home planet.

But yeah, to me the destruction of Cybertron beared far more emotional weight than Optimus Prime's death. Considering how long all the characters had spent fighting over it, you would've thought even the decepticons would've pulled the line at that. It did make sense for Scorponok to not care since Master was now his home planet, but it would've certainly added an interesting element to the series for the decepticons to hold grudge against him for that stunt.

Ultimately, I consider Headmasters to have a great deal of unrealized potential, which does make it a bit of a failure really. Still, I would rather watch Headmasters any day over Victory.

18. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I'm ready to give away my Headmasters DVD theirs no point in watching a boring series

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

vends it to me
    :bowdown: 

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I just finished the series yesterday afternoon. It's got plenty of flaws, but it's a HELL of a lot better than the shitstorm that is Rebirth. I'll take "Uncle Sixshot" and the "Friendship Formation" or whatever it was called over that crap anyday. I understand the US writers had a LOT they were told to cram into three episodes, but still...utter failure.

Wait, what was I talking about? ;)