Just finished watching Armada: The Unicron Battles

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

This is kinda the reverse of the current BW thread (but is a similar positive way).
    I've seen BW long ago, loved it, but hadn't seen part two of Armada until this past week. And I have to say I really like it! But it took me a long time to get to that point.

My Armada experience:

When Armada first debuted, I gave it a chance like anyone else. Several things really ruined the series for me though - those stupid kids (Fred and Billy were the worst), the mini-cons not being able to talk and have individual personalities, the Decepticons being so stupid, and episodes like "now we shall have an environmental message in the middle of a war." I hated Armada and came to view it as the worst TF series ever (cept maybe masterforce).

I decided to give Armada another chance when the DVDs came out and got pt. 1. I heard about a couple of arcs where the show got a bit better, Starcream's betrayal and the Unicron Battles, but those eps weren't on the DVD and I didn't make it past ep. 15 the show was so bad. I watched ep 25 just to see if things got better or if the Starscream arc had finally started yet, it hadn't. I sold my set. And concluded that Armada really was the worst TF show ever. I did get the DW comics of Armada around this time though and thought, if only the cartoon were like that! (I'd been enjoying watching Energon as well, little did I know how bad it would get but it was currently in the middle part where things were good for a while).

Fast Forward more. I met the Dobson Brothers at BotCon, they are really talent guys. I thought should I try watching Armada again for they're performances? But the show sucked so much! But I wanted to see that Starscream episode! One or two episodes did not justify buying a whole boxset of a crappy show though.

Now catch up to a few weeks ago. I find Armada pt. 2 used DVD set on sale for $21 while on vacation in a comcis store. I debate, but ultimate say what the hey, it's only $21 and I can at least see that Starscream episode and the one where they defeat Unicron. So I bought it. For the first few eps I'm thinking huge mistake, but then something happened around the two parter where Wheeljack shows up, it stopped being about the stupid kids and about the Transformers for once. Hot Shot was my favorite Autobot from Armada (if you could even say I had a favorite, but he's basicaaly this continuities version of Hot Rod, who I love).

And from there the show just kept getting better and better. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it never did. Starscream's betrayal arc was more that just one or two eps like I thought, Op had one of his better deaths, Hot Shot stepped into a leadership position, we finally saw Cybertron, Unicron came, Starcream sacificed himself, Op & Megs joined forces, Uncron was defeated and just as soon as that happened Op and Megs engage in one of their best fights since the original movie. I LOVED THE UNICRON BATTLES! Even the kids didn't seem as annoying as they once were somehow. And I can't believe it took me this long to enjoy Armada, but now I do. But it sure wasn't easy to get to this point. Heck, it took me two tries to get into BW back when it first aired and only when I found out it was a sequel and not a reboot did I really try to accept it.

We TF fans have had so many reboots and reason to hate new shows as they came out, but ultimately they deserve a second chance and sometimes even a third or fourth. You may not always change your mind, but then again you might or discover a good part of the show you never knew existed. So that's my Armada story that I thought I'd share. That's why I also intend to watch TF Animated from beginning to end, probably no matter what.

2. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

This makes me want to see the final battle between Optimus and Megatron again.

Sadly, I can only find music videos of armada on youtube. Is that all they have, these days?

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea armada was fantastic after the first few episodes, fantastically written for a kids show.

energon and cybertron, might have better animation, but armada by far has the better story.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well you could always just, buy the dvds?

5. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Well, all I want is that one episode. So that may present a problem.

6. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i rather enjoyed it. mind you it was all downloaded and i kept skipping past the kids parts. but yeah late armada was the best out of the lot of it.

pity i cant say the same for energon/superlink. it felt so dead mid way though.

7. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Armada introduced me to TFs, so it's hard for me to dislike it (although I did hate the kids).

8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I went into Armada with a HUGE bias against it. I went to BotCon 2002's infamous dinner. Where the promised exclusive was a viewing of the not quite complete first episode of Armada. The intro left me feeling less than inspired, "Please keep in mind that this is only the first episode, and that there will be a second episode, and a third, and so on." Nothing like inspiring confidence by basically saying, "This really sucks, and we know it, but hopefully it gets better."

Then we sat and watched it. As my buddy at the table said, he felt like grabbing his camera and taking a snap just to make the pain end. I think it was mostly my anger at being misled about getting a nice exclusive that had me hating every second of it.

When it came on TV, I refused to watch it at first. I just couldn't accept it due to my lack of faith from the first episode being all about the horrible, HORRIBLE kids, combined with my anger over it being my "exclusive" for attending the BotCon dinner.

Many months later I caught one episode that was a re-run during the weekend when I didn't feel like changing the channel after Dexter or something else I had intended to watch. Well, I caught PART of an episode. When the kids started yelling at the Autobots about shooting the trees, I gave up.

But, something in me forces me to buy and watch all Transformers DVDs. So I bought the first set and sat down to watch it with several things around me to keep me busy through the suck.

What I found was that there's actually a good story under there once you get past the fact that for the first half of the series the Autobots are basically underlings for the children. And the children are constantly in dangerous situations.

And so I waited with impatience for the second box set to come. I really never thought it would. When it finally did I saw the awesome come to fruition. The Starscream arc was painfully well done. And I honestly felt like the Autobots were fully to blame for his decision to turn back. It was amazing. And even more amazing during his "death" scene. What started as utter crap that I absolutely despised ended up being a truly great show. Not perfect, but there was something going on under even the crappiest stories that made it seem pretty special.

And now I'm stuck waiting to see Energon and Cybertron since we cancelled our satellite service before either came out. I suppose we'll never see the box sets for those shows, since they released those horrible, episode skipping single releases and nobody bought them because they were waiting for box sets. I know people say they sucked, but people said Armada sucked too. I have a feeling there's an underlying good story in those shows as well.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Armada really picked up in those final episodes. I liked it more once Scavenger showed up and the shows started moving, but it really kicked up a gear on the second half, and from there only got better with 39 onwards.

10. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Download it.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm going to have to copy a lot of the sentiment here. I really got into collecting the minicons because I like small tfs, but when I finally got around to seeing the show, it was SO much worse than beast wars (never was able to watch rid) that I just couldn't bear it. every once in a while, I'd turn it on, only to end up sitting there with my girlfriend making fun of the animation. oh look, there goes a jet, sliding across the sky. well, a few years later, thanks to some careful research, I was able to find all of the unicron battles, and indeed, it's amazing.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I had a Love hate relationship with Armada:

Things I hated:
    - The Cartoon was boring until the unicorn battles, the kids were silly and the animation was sub par in many ep.
    - The toys had little in the articulation debt. I loved RID for the sheer possibility and detail in the figures and when Armada came alone it was a big disappointment. I still remember seeing Cyclonus on www.bwtf.com during the toyfair and thinking wtf is that!?!
    - The gimmick stuff.

I loved Armada because:
    - The Series got better and brought us Unicron (toy and Mythos).
    - The toys (to me) are something special. While they had very little articulation, they had a tonne of play value. The Mini-cons were awesome and the extra features that were included in the package (sticker, Comic) really brought me back to when I was a kid.
    - The toys were more kid friendly. While this is not necessarily a good thing for me as a collector, me as a dad appreciated it. Some of the recent transformers are a little fragile; the armada could stand up IMO a little better.

Over all Armada is one of my favourite series and definitely better than Energon.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I only got part two of the Armada series. Not bad... it's just something you would want to watch only when you're in the mood to watch something that's stupid but funny.

14. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Well-Known Member

I didn't like it. The way Unicron "lost" was too pathetic and sudden... and whats with the swarm of millions of minicons able to form a copycat image of unicron? you need milions of units for doing so, so whats the point hunting them on Earth, when there's tons of them everywhere?
    crap.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada's final arcs are some of my favourite TF media -ever-. It just sucks that the first half of the series is such a drag for most everyone that I've gushed about it to.

I wish there was just a recap video to skip the first 30some episodes. :lol  Though I suppose it's like, you put up with the first part of Armada to get totally "holy shit!" at the finale arcs.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

'Cause they didn't detect a signal except from the ones that were on Earth? Given the option of blindly searching the infinite vastness of space where they could be anywhere, or looking around on one specific planet where I know there are several, I know which I'd choose.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Armada, Energon, and Cybertron could all be enjoyable if watched without commercials, which is pretty much the reason I don't watch TV.

18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Wait, so you actually liked Hot Shot?

Weird.

I think Armada did what it was supposed to do: Bring Transformers back to TV. Of course, it didn't do this so well until later episodes. There were those characters that you had to like, of course. Starscream was, by far, one of the best characters in that series: he just had such a treacherous air, and was one of the fully developed robots on the show. Sideways was another favorite. As soon as you had the action figure in your hands, with the two heads that changed alliance, you knew he was going to be trouble. The mysterious actions of Sideways had to be one of the reasons I watched those episodes before the Unicron Battles.

Unicron. Of course, bringing such a powerful figure into the mix was the best thing they could have done. He was brilliantly executed, and his monologue about war and hatred(through Sideways) was awesome.

And of course, who can forget that final battle? I remember watching that last episode and being like, "Well, Prime's gonna say something about peace, blah blah blah."

And then BAM. Such a powerful piece of animation, having never seen the characters go at it like that ever before. A strong confrontation, and beautifully ended. Ironic that Megatron should die like a hero.

So yeah, if Armada had been the Unicron Battles, it would have been an amazing series.

Sadly, it wasn't.

19. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Hey Man, Nothin' wrong with Hot Shot (or Hot Rod *beams*).

But that aside, I've never gotten the oppertunity to watch Armada in order. The DVDs they released before the Propper Part I and Part 2 Releases, were always

.Best of the Autobots/Decepticons
    .Best Battles
    .Unicron Battles

And for me, that really ruined the enjoyment of the series; I was watching everything in a backward/forward format and every episode started off with something I didn't watch. Watching it Toonami wasn't any better either, given that I could never catch the first episode on its Rerun time.

For the most part, the animation wasn't that great in the beginning, the characters looked as though they were suffering from Stop-Motion Animation. The voice acting from the Children and the kids themselves were just nerve grating (what idiot goes into outerspace trying to rescue a Minicon who jumped ship?), but Matt Hill's spanish accent was hillarious.

The voice acting from the Autobots and Decepticons was a half-and-half thing; I hated the voice actor for the Tank-Decepticon ("Let the Games Begin!") the most, but everyone else did decent jobs (I heart McNeil as Jetfire). I loved Red Alert's deadpan demeanor and Gary Chalk does a great job overall. But Now that there's a propper DVD Release with the epsidoes in order (Unless I'm mistaken) I can finally watch the episodes in order (assuming Netflix even has those releases available for rent).

20. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    I just bought both DVD sets last week and so far I am enjoying it (up to ep 26).

I admit the kids are alittle annoying but overall, I am satisfied with it.