Just finished RID season one. Mixed feelings.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hand Of Omega, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

At first, I was enthusiastic. I knew it was Japanese grown, so I expected the usual anime 'announce it before you do it' stuff, "Tsunami blast, Fire!". By rights, no one should have been shot at all, there was fair warning! LOL! :lol 
    I also expected some goofiness and I actually don't mind the 'in the spotlight' transforming sequences at all.

After the first episode, I was impressed with the Autobot side of things as well as the humans and, for the most part, it remained that way.
    However, the Predacons were harder to like. Megatron, in the beginning, seemed to point at a familiar evil, but Slapper, Gas Skunk and so on are nothing more than stooges.
    Its not until Skybite arrived that I even took them seriously. Even then, he soon turned stooge too.
    What I'm saying is, theres a lot of silliness on the Predacon side and even though the Autobots were cool and I got a kick out of watching them on screen, there was never a sense of real threat from the Predacons....until the 'Decepticons'.
    THEN, it all got very interesting. Their creation, the 'bond' between Scourge and Prime, the more serious nature of the Decepticons (or should I say Combaticons) and the sidelining of the comic relief Predacons brought about good change.
    The strongest and best episode of series one is by far 'Volcano'.
    In terms of plot, there were clunkers, but some, like 'Volcano' and 'Spychangers', were quite good.
    The animation was for the most part as I like Transformers, it plays a crucial part and is one of the factors why the other TF series don't grab me, but naturally it was infused with wacky anime which was, I have to admit, very destracting sometimes. :peoples: 
    The designs of the Autobots and Decepticons were really good - Predacons, not so much.
    Well, on to series two, if I ever get my hands on it.

2. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Well,I think the Predacon slapstick episodes in the beginning were really there so you could just get a feel for all the autobots,their abilities,chain of command and so forth. Then,right when you're used to seeing the Autobots easily beat down these chumps week in and week out,BAM Scourge and the Decepticons show up and they're not playing around.

This is my favorite Transformer show besides G1.

3. Hand Of Omega

Well said, the first few eps solely showcase the Autobots' capabilities and write off the Predacons. I can see why you would rank it your fave after G1. As you can tell, I warmed up to it slowly. I am interested to see where it goes after season one - Galvatron is mentioned as arriving soon. If I can find the DVD set anywhere.
    Everyone is out of stock and Jetix recons its a poor seller. Even in this TF rich climate?

4. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm still waiting for RiD to get released in the US. I've watched the entire series on YouTube, but it's just not the same....

RiD is a decent series though. Yeah, there's some pretty goofy stuff, but I think RiD was one of the more "kiddie" TF series, so I can excuse it.

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

don't hold your breath man on rid being released stateside to own on dvd anytime soon

all the same though there is always ioffer.com if you want to get it now

6. Hand Of Omega

I certainly got that drift too, kiddie stuff, but some of it is pretty looney and overtly slapstick.
    I tried to watch the series on YouTube as well, but you're right, its not the same. I had to hunt for an online store from the UK and even then 90% were out of stock. I managed to score season 1, but 2 is elusive.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Things really start picking up once a certain car carrier shows up. The early episodes are good, though I found some of the more slapstick moments hard to watch. It's a decent series, though.

8. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

It really isn't a very good show. Really cheesy with the "Ultra Laser Attack!" stuff but the art designs are amazing I will give it that.

9. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was ok

I finished the whole series during the spring, cause I was having Animated Blues. And needed somthing to watch.I saw it on Veoh.com

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The introduction of the Decepticons really is when the show takes a noticeable upswing. It only gets better from there - the second boxset introduces a proper, ongoing plotline.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    RID is one of my most enjoyed TF series. It regularly gets popped into the DVD player. Sometimes you just don't have to take it too seriously.

12. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    RiD is like the Robotech- Macross Saga. You appreciate the fact that they did it, but like SDF Macross, Car Robots just comes off better.

13. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My least favorite Transformer series. And yeah, I agree, I feel its because the Decepticons/Predacons were not a threat. It was just very lackluster to me.

I liked the toys of Rail Racer, Prime, Landfill and Scourge though.

14. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    RID is underrated. I usually just watch the first recap episode to skip the first 10+ episode of silliness and then watch the rest of the series fully when the Combacticons show up.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I hated RID when I first saw it. But I have since grown to love it.

It's gotten one of the best TF voice casts. I love that X-Brawn and Spychanger Ironhide have that drawl without sounding goofy as most TF's with accents tend to.

Megatron's voice took a bit of getting used to but that "Make it go away!!!" line in the dam episode was just so funny.

Skybite and Scourge have great voices too and they are the best villains in the series.

Also like the professionalism of the Decepticons.

I like how despite the goofy moments, the series never fell into the G1 season 2 trap with ridiculousy silly episodes.

I liked most of the characters in it with the Predacons lack of respect for poor Skybite compared to the more professional and tight-nit Decepticons.

On the Autobot side, I was quite fond of Prowl, Magnus and the Spychangers especially Ironhide and Mirage.

While it will never be Beast Wars, it's head and shoulders above the Uniron Trilogy. And it beats G1 and Animated by not having awful human characters.

Animation was pretty good and I like the traditional G1-esque look of the bots compared to modern Animated and movie styles.

Have the complete series and am working through it.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I loved it purely because it was pure fun. Its like the game Painkiller, knowing it would be an unsophisticated jaunt they seemed to go out of their way to make it as fun as they could along the way, magnificently moving on to a decent plot about the time Magnus turns up (FYI, he still sits atop the pile as my favourite Ultra Magnus)

17. Hand Of Omega

Yeh, but I'm glad I didn't let it put me off too much, otherwise I'd never have gotten to 'The Decepticons'.

Ha! Like I said, by rights, nobody should ever be shot as they get fair warning. I have noticed that its mostly the eps written by Richard Epcar that, aside from having better dialogue, have far less of that, he substitutes other things in place of those lines quite often.

I thought as much. If the style from here on in stays pretty close to 'Volcano' I'll be happy. Still, have to wait and see.

That seems to be the consensus, skip the early silly intros and get into the fray.

I look forward to this. :thumbs2: 

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i love RID. it is my one of my fave series. it is just flat out enjoyable and i absolutely love sky-byte. got to get sky-byte and scourge one day

19. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh not the power of children!

20. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think RiD looks a lot better in reprospect than we saw it when it was new. Since then we've seen the drawn out story arcs and annoying humans of the Unicron Trilody, the kiddified designs and annoying slapstick of Animated, and the speechless metal skeleton-aliens with potty humor and visible testicles of the Bay films. Suddenly a little bit of announcing your attack or having a trio of funny bad guy soldiers who fail every week or a kid riding around in Prime isn't so bad.