just finished devastation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Megatron31, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i know i am behind on this but i read all hail megatron first so i had a lot of catching up to do.

with that said i was anticipating devastation would end with the events leading up to AHM and answer some of my questions about the hole series

now im really confused

i have read
    infiltration
    stormbringer
    escalation
    devy

AHM 1-4
    ongoing
    and starting international incident

and all the spotlights including revalations

is there someting i missed that would help fill in some of the gaps

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maximum Dinobots tries to fill in some of the gaps

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    And you've run into the problem a lot of people had with AHM...

4. Megatron31

Ebay:
    its starting to seem like AHM was its own story ark and everything before it was the beginning to a different story (the stuff going on with galvatron)

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, exactly my point. You had years of buildup then it was all pretty much thrown away so that All Hail Megatron could do its own thing... till they tried to shoehorn the old continuity into the second half.

6. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yeah, I still believe that McCarthy saw all the fan anger over the fact that he pretty much ignored everything that Furman did and decided to tie up some loose ends in the later issues of AHM.

7. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    He also shit all over some things that weren't loose ends.

Sorry, I'm still a little pissed over the Hunter/Sunstreaker thing.

8. Megatron31

Ebay:
    you mean they don't explain that!!!!!!!!

9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron was intended to be a soft reboot, but was later changed to incorporate Furman's "-ation" series into it. Short flashbacks were given in some of the later issues (7,8,14) where they basically explained where it all went to hell from the Furman series. Of course All Hail Megatron was also forced to give up its premise in favor of another more movie-like reboot, thus the rushed resolution to everything which was heavily criticized by fans.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You forgot to mention that AHM was originally not even supposed to be in continuity. The original premise was that it was a big what if story of what would happen if Optimus Prime was gone, and the Decepticons won. That's the real reason it makes no damn sense.

I mentioned it before, but they can still totally bring Hunter back via Alpha Trion. His whole explanation about how he brought back Ironhide leaves the door wide open for that one. Just make him a techno-organic transformer.

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yes that also. IDW wanted a different direction, and got someone else to write it. Of course, needless to say, a lot of people complained and they were forced to connect it to the previous series badly.

Yep, although I don't think a lot of people are really demanding for Hunter back :p 

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually, there are quite a few people who liked Hunter.

13. Megatron31

Ebay:
    didnt sideswipe kill his life support at the end of AHM?

14. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    That's part of why the Sunstreaker/Hunter thing in AHM pisses me off. Hunter got his happy ending in Max Dinos, was out of the picture, and McCarthy had him tortured and killed just 'cause.

Then he makes Sunstreaker come to the stupid, illogical, and out-of-character conclusion that ALL humans tortured him, and that betraying his fellow Autobots to cause genocide is A-OK, all because McCarthy needed that traitor he based his Mopey Autobots arc around.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah. The thing I was referring to was the bit were Alpha Trion explained that all cybertronians are linked to vector sigma, which saves a back up of their minds. If that's the case, then logically, Hunter's mind should have also been saved when he fused with Sunstreaker. I don't think it would be out of character for Alpha Trion to take a stab at making a techno organic cybertronian body. Maybe have it a prototype for the Maximal upgrade. Alternatively, they could have Hunter's mind manifest inside Sunstreaker's head. Either one would be pretty interesting.

16. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Hunter was one of the less interesting loose ends that needs tying. The bro is dead and isn't coming back. RIP Hunter, your interest in aliens and penchant for picking up hot hitchhikers got you killed. It's over, finished.

17. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He wasn't a loose end. Hist story ended in Maximum Dinobots. Was he really needed to be shown and then killed in AHM for no reason?

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, Megatron31, you're running into the same thing I experienced when I read All Hail Megatron. It doesn't fit.

I don't care what IDW is spewing about a 'Soft Reboot', it was obviously intended to be its own story.

There's many, many examples of how what's going on in AHM is disconnected to what was going on in the '-ation' series.

Add to that the fact that Devastation got concluded in two panels, and then IDW published a book that was supposed to be a guide to the continuity thus far but was itself full of errors and inconsistencies and my enthusiasm for IDW's comics was greatly reduced.

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Apologies, I wasn't clear. I mean to revive him somehow and bring him back into the main story would just open up old wounds. The controversy surrounding his death isn't so interesting as to warrant a comeback.

20. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

This. Hunter was on the very short list of "humans who don't suck", and he didn't deserve to be tortured and then euthanized like a dog by a bot who had no way of knowing if he could be saved or not. Especially since Sunstreaker got to live...having both headmaster partners die makes the situation meaningful, but letting Sunny have another chance (especially since the Autobots have apparently forgiven him, so his betrayal had no real consequences for him at all) makes Hunter's death seem even more pointless and spiteful.