Just Cause

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Spartan-117, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

In a nutshell: This game sucks, avoid it like the plague.
    I picked it up today for PS2 after reading various magazines raving about how cool it would be to do all sorts of insane stunts like sky diving, jumping off of cliffs etc etc. Well it isn't. This game goes down hill right from the start.
    The opening movie is of the same quality as a PS2 game, which is quite frankly pathetic. You're then quite literally dropped into the action and you think "sky diving, cool", the sky diving is great but the trouble starts when you hit the ground. The combat is generic bullshit. There's no finesse to aiming, you get a ton of weapons and about 200 rounds for each gun, so all that's required of you is to spray the area. it doesn't help that the enemy AI stinks.
    In the first mission you're tasked with breaking a rebel out of prison. On approach the prison looks pretty fearsome, so you try the sneaky approach, leaping from a cliff and parachuting onto the outer wall. So far so good. You then run across a guard, who you gun down in a hail of lead, not six feet away from his buddy and so on and so forth. In the entire mission I killed only four guards, all as dumb as posts, going in the front door. You can walk right up to them before they even realise what's going on.
    Another unforgivable fault is the wooden animation. Your character runs like he's shat himself, not very fitting for a super secret agent. He also appears to be a combination of the Six Million Dollar Man and Spiderman. He kills with one punch. One. That launches the enemy six feet away from you in a spray of blood. Coupled with the stupid AI you don't even need guns. All you have to do is run around a building and come from behind, then the bad guy will stand there looking at you and allowing you to punch him. Your character also has the peculiar ability to leap straight onto low level rooftops among other things. However the most amazing ability available is the "stunt position" and "leap to vehicle" combo. The stunt postition allows you to kick the door off your car, leap meters straight up and land on the roof of your vehicle. It should be noted that for some reason you can still steer the car. From here you can deploy your parachute or jump off/jump to another vehicles. It's quite hilarious watching your character leap from your roof to the roof of the police car that just rammed you and back and so on and so forth. Anyway, once in the air if you pass over a car you can perform the "leap to vechile" move from the air. You can execute it a fair distance off your target and your character will launch himself like Spiderman to the roof or hood of the target vehicle and promptly adhere like said arachnid chap, no matter the speed of the target. Oh, and the graphics are crap. Forgot that.
    Seriously, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. After 45 minutes of play I'm determined to take this sorry excuse for a game back and get my money back.
    What a waste of great potential.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The Demo on 360 was good but not something I was willing to go and get at full price. Gamespot rated the PS2 version lower than the Xbox and 360 versions but I didnt read any of the reviews to find out why.

3. bme™

bme™ Well-Known Member

Sadly every gaming system has its E.T. and Superman 64. :( 

4. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

...and this probably isn't it.

Anyways, color me unsurprised. Demo got some backlash on another forum and the only enjoyment I found from a member was the ridiculousness of the game's stunts.

Found this little snipet.

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed playing ET on Atari 2600?

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Pretty Much, yes.

7. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

It's alright man, I used to love Glover.