Just a thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asterios, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

I've noticed people who advertise in their sales threads that they accept only PayPal, but to add 3% to the price for fees, why don't you just bump up the price by 3% or so instead, that way your violating of PayPal's terms and services is not so noticeable.

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Because selling something for $20 seems more reasonable than $20.60.

3. Asterios

Asterios Well-Known Member

Yes but by charging $20.60 for something it prevents someone from turning you into PayPal and having your PayPal account shut down.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty much, and that's part of why I made it a point to write in my thread that I won't be asking buyers to cover my seller fees or require them to pay via gift. That's not the only reason (another big one being that going by the book & not exposing other members to paypal fraud is good for business in itself), but covering my own ass is definitely part of it, and I still shake my head every time I read the whole "I only take gift payments" or "pay me with a gift or add 4%", especially when its coming from experienced board members who definitely know better & who stand to lose quite a lot if shit ever did hit the fan. Like I wrote in the last topic we had about this (and probably in the one before it as well), all it takes is for one person to keep records & report a seller at the right time to cause a good amount of trouble, and trouble that could easily have been avoided by adding a dollar to your prices & abiding by the terms you agreed to follow in the first place.

... now, people of course don't wanna do this because it'll make it look like their charging more than the next guy (even though they're not), and since a lot of members who're looking to buy don't even read the OP before sending a PM or turning away, you run the risk of your positive selling points not even being recognized.

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

This. This is why I actually do factor everything into my prices.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #8: Small print leads to large risk.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhahaha. I live by those rules.

Well, some of em, anyway. :)