Customs: Just a quick question for all you customizers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Paper Mariowned, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Hey TFW2005, how are you all doing? Just a quick question, Im going to sound like a customizing newbie ,But I plan on doing a repaint of one of those robot replica's (Bumblebee into Windcharger), just a few general questions. Now I've read the FAQ's people have posted and the how-to at the top, but I just need personal opinion.

What would be best to use on these figures to get a decently glossed figure? Whenever I try acrylics, it's all dry lookin', and probably quite easy to scrape off, but should I use an acrylic sealer so that it gains gloss and looks, well, glossy? I used did that once too a figure, but it stayed perma-sticky, which was kinda cruddy, perhaps I should use a different kind of paint?

Sorry for the long paragraphs, just rarin' to repaint some figures (Transformers, random customs, and a Michael Myers into Corey Taylor), and from the customs and tutorials I've seen on here, well, you guys know what you're doing :D 

Thanks in advance!

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

It may have remained sticky for any number of reasons,paint like any other product can have a sour apple in the mix.

I use Krylon flat white as a primer before applying enamel/acrylic paints when paint by brush.

Other wise you could try krylon spraypaints as they are.
    As for the gloss look,I've used testor's Clear coat and Dull coats without problems.
    Another option if you brush or own a air brush try Future Floor Wax.
    It's a clear acrylic that can be used as a clear coat,and when mixed with a flat base you have a semi-clear coat/flat coat.

FFW can be mixed with other acrylic paints to make a semi transparent paint for tinting windows or other clear parts.

3. Paper Mariowned

Allright cool, thanks for the help there, I'll definately have to give that a try :D 

Next paypecks goin towards the hobbie shop!

4. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

I've found Tamiya spray paints (the ones in the small bottles at hobby shops) to work very well. They dry quickly to a hard surface and have excellent gloss, especially when coated with the same brand gloss clearcoat.

5. Paper Mariowned

Allright, ocne again thanks guys/gals for the help, it's gonna be awesome making a good custom for once :D 

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All I use Tamiya for everything, all the others are pretty sub par. The japs know how to make a good paint.:thumb 

7. Paper Mariowned

Is said paint available in the US/Canda, or do you have to order online?

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I buy Tamiya at my local hobby shop here in Ontario Canada. Bottles and sprays.

9. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tower Hobbies is place to go for all your supplies online.

10. olas202

olas202 Arise Zombie Prime!

tamiya is here is calgary AB too so you should be able to find it

11. Paper Mariowned

Allright, once again thanks guys :D  I'll check out that link, too, iunno why but I'm in a customizing mood lately!

I'm from Ontaria, Canada, as well. It's a looooong shot considering the amount of cities and hobbie shops, but would you be getting your stuff from the hobbie shop on St Paul st in St Catherines? It's a pretty decent place, good prices, has everything you need for customizers.

Right now Im short on paint and such, only have acrylics and old brushes, so my customs arent exactly the greatest (as you can see by my Windcharger custom which has 0 replies :lol : )

12. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Nope, K/W - sorry! :) 

13. Paper Mariowned

Ahh, eh, still a good hobbie shop

14. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    You will like Tamiya sprays. I have used them for a while now and I have had no problems with it. It goes on like it's factory fresh.

15. Paper Mariowned

Sweet! Like the tutorial says, I should wash and sand the surface before putting it on, right? so it sticks better and so the paint isnt thicker and chips off on joints?

16. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tamiya was made to be put on plastics, just clean them with soap and water, or degreaser and let them dry completely, then paint till your hearts content.

17. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Agree with TonyzCustomz. I am almost finished with Mrs Devestator for the fiancee. After taking it apart I soaked the painted parts in 91% alcohol and then washed both the prepainted and unpainted parts in warm soapy water and let them dry overnight then you can paint away.