Just a few thoughts on exclusives...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moonstreaker, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I just think it's funny that people find the idea of BotCon exclusives being made availble through HTS to be so offensive (the "they're exclusives, damn it!" attitude), but the same people all expect/demand to be able to buy the SDCC exclusives through HTS. And then throw a holy hissy fit if there is a hicup with the ordering process.

Also, if the SDCC exclusives can be had for so little over the cost of their retail release conterparts...well then what's the excuse for this years BotCon set?

Just some food for thought.

2. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    It sure would be nice to have them available over HTS. But they're not. If you really wanted them, you should have just bought the non attending package.

All this incessant whining isn't going to change anything. Move along buddy.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I'm pretty sure botcon exclusives are much smaller production runs than SDCC exclusives, hell you can still find Nemesis Prime on e-bay for around $70.00.

He was just asking a question, no need to be rude.

4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think they should just make ALOT of each exclusive, and sell them through online retailers. They'd make hella cash. But to appease the people attending, they should lower their package price. That way the Botcon attendee's can't complain, general fans can't complain and Botcon makes alot of money.

All I want is a Springer. I could care less about the Seeker set, clear Mirage, Huffer, Wierdwolf or Alpha Trion.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    How much and when (February the year of the con, stuff like that) do you have to buy is this nonattending package you speak of?

EDIT: The contents would also be helpful

6. theone74

theone74 Banned

If they can make more $$$ because its NOT avaliable then thats why its ok, on the other hand, if they cant make it to SDCC, its not right because they will be the ones who have to spend all the $$$. Anybody that attempts to say otherwise is just trying hard to justify. This is the best topic I have ever read and so true.

7. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    Let's see...you're right...I could have purchased this years exclusives, but I didn't because I couldn't justify the inane price ($330) they were asking for 4 Deluxes and a Voyager. To me that money was much better spent on some MISB G1 Japanese TF's. I have nothing against those who bought the set or those who made it. But i know there are people who got the BotCon stuff (whether they are scalping it or not) who will go through the roof if they can't get the SDCC through HTS.

And if you don't have any actual thoughts to contribute...well, then "move along buddy" instead of flaming.

An appology:
    To all others I may have offended by thinking for myself...

I'm sorry I dared question the wisdom/motives of the great Institution of (Hasbro, BotCon, TFC, or any other organization some collectors deem to be a Diety)

8. theone74

theone74 Banned

Who are you to tell anybody to "move along"? I love the way people try and be the bigshit on here.

9. GreenScream

News Credits:
    My apologies. It's just tiring to hearing people complaining about the BotCon set.

10. GreenScream

News Credits:
    Sorry to all. I will leave you guys alone, so that you may continue to complain.

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish they'd release them to the general public, but they wouldn't be as desirable then, would they?

Here's where I stand on the matter: Don't release things people really want/need to complete their collection. Like the Cybertron/Beast Wars set. Nobody needed that to complete their Cybertron collection. But the Classics set is different. If people want to complete their Classics, they need the three seekers.

But that's just me.

12. theone74

theone74 Banned

He was not complaining about the BC set, it was the most thought out and true topic I have read in a while. It deals with scalper mentality.

13. theone74

theone74 Banned

Real all my replies in every topic, its mostly anti complaining, its just this time, he wasnt complaining.

14. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    dang, cant find smileys...

beat dead horse!

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think you're jumping to a conclusion there that it's the same people. There's a big tendency on message boards for someone (you, in this case) to read a few opinions about one thing, then later read a few opinions about something else seemingly at odds with the first topic, and then take the tremendous leap of assuming they're the exact same people making incongruous statements.

Besides, people can be happy that they'll have access to SDCC toys and still be understanding if exclusives aren't available from FP.

1) They're technically not SDCC exclusives, they're HTS exclusives that are sold at SDCC. There's no conflict in HTS selling a HTS exclusive, versus HTS selling another company's (FP) exclusive.

2) They seem to be produced in larger numbers than Botcon exclusives, lowering the per unit cost and enabling them to be sold for less.

3) Hasbro is a much, much larger company than FP, has no middlemen since they're selling the toys themselves, and likely subsidize the cost somewhat for the promotional goodwill it brings in. FP cannot afford to do that at their current size.

4) Last year's SDCC toy had no remolding. This year's has a minor remold (head) one one toy that may or may not actually use the pre-existing KissPlay Rodimus head mold anyway (not sure, haven't seen a close enough shot to judge), and another toy with no remold. FP used extensive remolds on one toy in the box, a head remold on another, and far more detailed (read: expensive) paint masks for all the figures in the set, plus a remold on an attendee exclusive, plus an entirely new mold in Vector Sigma.

Ditto.

16. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    OK...I shouldn't have said "all", but you can't deny that there are people that have (and will) pitch a fit about the SDCC/HTS exclusives that were able to get the BotCon set this year.

I understand that FP is much smaller, but they could partner with Hasbro to make them available. It would cut cost, which would allow them to make more money and cut back on some of the ugly elitest mentallity that poisons the Fandom this time of year. It really does get ugly, and I think it's sad that people get at their fellow collectors' throats the way they do every year.

Oh, and Vector Sigma...let's not even go there. That thing is an oversized plastic yellow golfball with a clear plastic tee. I just don't get that thing.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I hate exclusives.

18. theone74

theone74 Banned

What is to hate about them? You either like it and get it or not. Just saying "I hate exclusives" is just a comment just to increase your post count.

19. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Perhaps she hates the fighting they cause?

~Proud veteran of the SDCC 06 Nemesis Prime fiasco

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    And I'm sick of people complaining about the movie designs, but it's still there perogative and right to do so.