Jury to Decide Strip-Search Hoax Case

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Oct 4, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2007/10/04/779628.html
    My Verdict: DUMBASS, GET A CLUE! Oh, and YES, FAST FOOD CAN MAKE YOU FAT!

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Lawsuit possible? Yes. 200 Million lawsuit? No. The number is so damn high that it just shows an unstable and irrational mind that likely needs to be put under psychiatric observation for their own well being.

And the lawyer that's presenting the case needs shot.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I misread the title as "Jury Decide to Strip-Search Hoax Case"

4. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Super Size Me 2 anyone?

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This didn't raise any suspicions for her?

7. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I saw that too for some reason. :lol 
    Really. How dumb do you have to be? And the amount she is asking for is so ridiculous the case should be thrown out just for that.

8. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Wait, this happened in 2004? And she's filing now? What the hell was she doing the past few years?

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Wow, nobody in this thread has taken any psychology classes, that's obvious.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh don't be silly, RandyF. All these things just happen to absolute pussies. For instance, if I was on the hijacked airplanes, I would have busted the doors down and kicked those terrorist asses. If I was around in 1930's Germany, I would have single handily overthrown Hitler.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If I've got this right I think it was the fact that it was the store manager exploited the victim, who was young (18 is practically a fetus) had a lot going on including the fact that she couldn't afford to lose the job.

Even so, the moment it got to sex acts upon herself, suspicions should have made her go WTF? And sex acts upon a man... (assuming oral) would have been the immediate WTF moment.

But in order to do this she must have been INCREDIBLY stupid and scared. Which isn't itself a crime. Yet.

What gets me though, is one of the actual defendents, Summers, the involved assistant manager is trying to sue McDonalds for $50 million? WTF? McDonalds should send over a hitman dressed as Ronald McDonald to prove a point to all the dunces that try to sue them over every little thing.

'Oh, I spillled my hot coffee over myself while it was between my legs while I was driving! Why didn't anyone tell me the coffee was hot?'

'Oh I wasn't prevented from sexually molesting a young employee! Why didn't McDonalds warn us all about this so I would have been prevented from becoming a sexual deviant?'

12. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    This case was blown way out of proportion, and out of context. The lid was faulty, and the coffee cup practically exploded. Coffee shouldn't do that, that's what the case was about.

13. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Haven't I owned your ass on this before?

The women wasn't driving. Her son was. Car was stationary.

Like ferret said, the cup was faulty. McDonalds had a history of heating their coffee way above the recommended and necessary temperatures for coffee. They had a volume of other incidents about their coffee temp they refused to take responsibilty for. And they were reluctant to pay waht the woman initially wanted, which was her hospital fee's.

Learn yourself up on that case a bit more huh buddy?

Lord Megatron, the girl actually started the lawsuit proceedings in 05 or thereabouts.

unicrons blues, around 2004 there was a series of these incidents accross America and suspicion was on the same person calling up all the restaurants pretending to be a cop.

One of the reasons for the lawsuits isn't what happened, but that McDonalds and other chains had previous knowledge of this scam and had not sufficiently warned managers and staff that it could happen.

Eg not even memos to stores to be weary of callers pretending to be cops.

Why did the girl continue doing it after it obviously went bad?

Fear.

Have any of you seen the security footage?

The girl is a petite girl. At the time she was a tiny 18 year old.

Both the manager and her partner, the two people implicated are... larger.

The person on the phone said he was a cop and that she was being investigated for theft.

In the video, the girls in the managers office and most of the time the manager or her partner are physically imposing.

The 'cop' is intimidating her and the dumbass managers partner.

It becomes clear during the video the girls defenses and confidence are being broken down.

But after a while the incident becomes less a fake investigation into theft and making her humilate herself and very much becomes a situation where a terrified and bullied girl gets sexually assaulted and pretty much seems to fear for her safety. It pretty much becomes a rape.

For a MUCH more in depth analysis of what happened to Ogborn and the whole series of scams in general check out this link:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051009/NEWS01/510090392

14. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Youtube video:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  15. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It's not that obvious to me. There are just comments on the story presented. Not all educated, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I am familiar with the experiments of Milgram, and know they have been recently repeated... with the same results (surprisingly). We are trained to listen to authority... even when it goes against our beliefs. I would personally like to take part in these experiments. I would like to know what I would do. I would hope to be able to walk away from doing what I know is wrong or causing harm... but I don't know. I've never been in the situation. The one thing with these experiments, and this case in particular, is that you are only performing the behaviour that you are willing to (on some level).

Thank you for this link. After reading this, ALL of these people (with the exception of the "uneducated" maintenance man) are all to blame. I understand the listening to authority figures thing, but doesn't your own common sense come into play here at some point? My parents taught me to respect authority figures, but also allowed me to use my common sense in any given situtaion. If something does not feel right... it most likely is not right. Hell, I remember back in grade school, lectures from police officers telling us to always ask for a uniformed police officer if ever approached by someone claiming to be a police officer.

Granted, I have never been in this situation, but I would like to think (even at 18) I would have taken the officer up on the offer to take me down to the police station. I can maybe see the strip search thing happening, but after that???

The manager, employee, and (ex-)fiance listening to the guy on the phone and doing exactly what he wanted? Come on!!! Especially the fiance! When in the hell would the police tell you to do jumping jacks, spank you when you questions them, make you pose, and the other unmentionables?? This guy did these things because he wanted to (consciously or subconsciously). With the manager, the whole thing should have ended after the "strip search" -- at worst. "Nope, don't see anything... here's your clothes back." In reality, I don't understand why she just didn't hold the girl in the office until the police arrived. I'm pretty sure that is what I would do with an employee who is accused of theft.

As for the girl, I do feel for her. She went through something that no human being should have to. I know she is young and was scared, but she seemed to have opportunity to remove herself from the situation before it got to where it did. Personally, I would take the humiliation of walking out of the restaurant in prime time buck naked than staying that long in the office where I was being wrongly accused.

However, I think this quote from the write-up kind of sums things up the best:

Although I know for sure that llamatron would have kicked those Nazi terrorist hijacker's asses right back to communist Russia... because he is that much of a man (and a pretty hot woman)! :wink: 

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

IF I recall someone was arrested for the calls that were made in this area, it was a local guy if I remember right but its been a few years back.

17. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I THINK I heard the results of the case were in her favor for either 3 or 6 million. I just heard it on a quick news bit driving home.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

6.1 Million

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unbelievable.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No ones mentioned this case to me in any detail before, cuz you know, its not like I really give a shit.

Thanks for the heads up, although chances are, I'll post more stupid things before long...