Jumanji (2): Welcome to the Jungle

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Thinking about seeing the original again. Although some scene do give me nightmares or heebie jeebies when I sleep. I sometimes wish I could see the animated series again.

2. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. Zathura is not a sequel to Jumanji, despite being based on books from the same author.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "from the world of jumanji" Says it right in the trailer plus the original name was going to be jumanji 2: Zathura! Also the junanji game had the cameo at the start of the film in a deleted scene! Why were they cut? The director didn't want HIS film to be tied to jumanji to much and changed them then BRAGGED about it on the dvd commentary! Guess what? Folks thought it was a rip-off of jumanji or didn't know it was a jumanji follow-up and the film bombed! Why would the studio hire a guy to make a sequal to big film and let them remove it as much as they can from the film that was a hit? The whole point of a sequel is to cash in on the original!

Guess what? This is not the first time someone did this! Did you know teen witch is teen wolf 3! Yup it's a sequel! The title is in the same font as teen wolf and it was going to be in the same school as the first movie and teen wolfs family and his best friend from the first movie was going to be in the film! What happened? The director wanted to make HIS movie and removed them from the film. The result. No one knew it was teen wolf 3 and it bombed!

So yes zathura is a sequel to jumanji! A third one with a cowboy board game was planned but after zathura bombed it was scrapped.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    A sequel generally means that it follows the story of its predecessor. Zathura did not. Almost certainly in the same universe, but I would call it just that, another film/book in the same universe. There could be some larger force at work behind the scenes that's making magical games to lure in victims, and that would probably be the overarching plot for the inevitable Jumanjiverse they might try to build. At least that's how I'd do it.

5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    House 2 second story (and 3 as well. 4 tied into the first)
    Halloween 3 season of the witch
    any troll movie
    meatballs 2,3, and 4

None of these had anything to do with the original. Yet they are still sequels.

Edit-this is getting off topic so i'm going to drop this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  6. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I see what you mean at least with Halloween and Troll (due to not being not familiar with the others). And nah it's not really that off topic, no biggie.

I guess my opinion is that a sequel generally means you continue the story of the last installment. I think successor is a strong word to use but it's the first to come to mind in the case of Halloween or something like that. Maybe we could refer to Zathura and Jumanji as anthology films tied together by evil games? :lol 

7. knights of Australia

knights of Australia Well-Known Member

I hope van pelt returns

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I heard there was going to be a new Main Villain. I think it's this guy, 1:31.

• Like Like x 1
  9. knights of Australia

oh ok

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle was originally pitched as a sequel, hence Jumanji 2, but from the trailers and the fact that the title no longer has a 2 in it seems like at some point they went for a remake rather than a sequel.

The thing in the trailers that gives it away is that Jumanji is now a video game not a board game. I would of preferred a sequel, I mean board games still exist, every toy store still sell them, it's not like video games replaced them. The old looking board game fit the theme of the movie better. If they wanted to do a video game thing why didn't they do that with Zuthura.

Also bothers me because with the current technology being much smaller than back in the 90's, at the time making a board game like that was impossible. The real life version featured cards that you'd put under a red piece of plastic in the center of the board. I actually still own that game. I was hoping that with the release of this movie they would make a movie accurate board game with a little LCD screen in the center where the words can appear like the do in the movie.

Of course the more magical stuff will never be a reality but we can at least make the board game look like the prop from the original movie. That old board game was such a dissapointment, they couldn't even be bothered to give us the animal game pieces, they're just those generic things from the Sorry game. Again I don't expect them to move on their own but they should at least look like they did in the movie.

And honestly I wouldn't want the game if I expected it to do all that crazy magic stuff. Without all that it seems like a fun game in the movie but the real version has totally different rules than the film. It's like a dumbed down version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. knights of Australia

I have to watch it!!!! Nebula in it

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think you meant to say I have to watch it! Amy Pond in it. ;-)

Seriously though, they even seem to have changed her. Early set photos from back when it was still planned as a sequel rather than a remake showed her in a different costume that looked like she had been sucked into the board game as a little girl and never changed her cloths the entire time she was there. Like she was wearing torn and stretched kids cloths as if she had grown up always wearing the same outfit from childhood.

I think they had originally planned for someone from the first movie to make a cameo and mention that the same thing had happened to Robin's character but then for some reason they changed to this instead... maybe because that first set photo wasn't really well received. Some of the comments I saw were honestly kinda perverted so that might be why they changed her look to Tomb Raider instead of woman who outgrew her little girl cloths but is stuck in a jungle and still wears them anyway because there aren't really many other options.

13. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    We could have a new trailer ?

14. knights of Australia

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Ha! Whoever suggested the game changed forms to try to lure in modern kids, you were correct!

Looks like fun, and yeah this trailer clarified why Jack Black getting eaten by the hippo wasn't AS big a deal as you'd think.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, that trailer looked fun.

Cake as a weakness.....:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Can't wait for this movie.

18. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Aside from that tool Jonas Bros being it this is actually looking like it could be pretty good.

19. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Oh wow, I actually got a laugh out of that. XD This might actually be worth watching.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Could we have a third installment ?