July 7th, 1984. 25 years ago one of the GREATEST animated movies opened in Japan.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Jul 6, 2009.

1. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

YouTube - Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Opening Battle

Full article: Macross DYRL - Buried Treasure - Anime News Network

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I saw DYRL for the first time about 2 years ago. Absolutely loved it.

3. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Great movie, shame it will never be released in the U.S. :banghead: 

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There arn't enougth superlatives in the dictionary for DYRL, dudes were working on that movie as much for the material as the money and every bit of both is on the screen.

5. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

It was on VHS with a really bad dub. titled Clash of the Bionoids i have it in a box somewhere.

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I watched that clash of the bionoids until the tape wore out. When I found it, I couldn't believe it. Sure I knew about the movie back in the 80's because I was into Robotech... but finding it.. wow. Called my best friend up and was like guess what I found...... THE MACROSS MOVIE!!

This was just before I made a contact which could get me Anime from Japan.... so other than Robotech and Warriors of the Wind.... I hadn't any Anime.... it was a huge momment. It's hard to believe this was way back in 1988.

Never knew when it originally premiered in Japan. It was out even before Transformers started.

It's crazy that there hasn't been a proper DVD release in the US.... because DYRL really is one of the greatest animated films ever made. Some day it's going to get a Blu-ray release in Japan.... and I am so going to get one.

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Beautiful movie. They just don't make anime like they did in the 80s anymore.

8. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    As an animation instructor, I've always been impressed with the level of hand drawn animation in this movie and many 80's anime projects.

10. RabidYak

It'll be a tragedy if they can't find the original audio elements and do a new soundmix for the BD, the original one is sounding a bit rougth thesedays and damn is this a movie that needs good audio.

They can't get away with re-recording this like the Patlabor and MSG movies considering that one of the main VAs and two of the others are dead now.

11. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Minmay was terribly lucky in that video.
    Jesus, falling that close to the pavement.
    Also, holy crap that whole sequence must have been a pain to animate! with all the tihngs falling and breaking apart!

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Man that movie had a wicked opening. I'll never forget this little sequence where it's in a Valkyere's cockpit and these lasers are heading straght for it and the pilot rotates his craft inbetween the shots.

I recall that there was an American release that was called "Attack of the Bioroids". It was uhm.... special.

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Can you enjoy the movie without having already been immersed in Macross world?

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I just watched the clip. Visually, it's impressive. Though as a movie, I don't think it would impress me. I've never been a great fan of anime, anyway.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    *Looks at his user title and sheds a nostalgic tear*

And 25 years later ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  16. RabidYak

It dives strait in without the setup, but it works by itself beyond that.

All you really need to know beforehand is that people rebuild crashed alien ship, aliens come looking for it, ship accidently folds to pluto with nearby city, city rebuilt inside ship for trip home.

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I saw Macross DYRL for the first time just a couple of months ago. I grew up with Robotech in the 80's so this felt like a quick 'catch up refresher'.

Imo, it's a Masterpiece movie. It presents some pretty big themes about human life. A big space opera so to speak.

It also exemplifies some major differences (or subtle however you see it) between cultures. I guess the Japanese had no problem whatsoever with Minmei's shower scene and the ancient human/zentraedi gene thing also
    directly opposes Western creationism.

The mecha action in DYRL was fairly good, although I had the feeling it really plays a supporting role, rather than being a highlight.
    Also, after having not seen VF1's in action for quite a while, I was surprised/shocked how frail they are actually ; in particular in Roy's death scene.

I also saw Robotech : the movie / the untold story somewhere in the 80's... to only see it recently again on youtube. I never understood why it caught so much flak. It's still a great unknown animated movie imo with great themes before Akira (1988) and The Matrix (1988) even existed.