Judge jails cancer patient due to inability to pay bill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTME, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    What a asshole.

2. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    this shit happens. at least it's being made public so we can be wary of it and drag the people responsible through the mud.

3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Now this just isn't cool at all.

And my family still rolls their eyes whenever I donate even a dollar for St. Jude's at restaurants. Bet they wouldn't be doing that if they knew someone who has/had cancer.

4. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Not to derail the thread, but curious how you manage your symptoms. For me, medical marijuana has been a godsend for my IBS-D. I got tested for Chron's, thankfully I don't have it but I do have a lot of the same symptoms for someone with Chron's.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have Crohn's disease as well and it is treated with infusions of infliximab, also known as remicade. It's very expensive treatment, but I was in the military when I started getting symptoms so I get treatment through the VA. Anyways, I don't know if it's used for IBS, but I would definitely ask your doctor about it if you haven't. You to, Grindcore, and sorry you've had to have operations. I've had Crohn's for 19 years but it has been mostly kept in remission thanks to remicade.

6. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    I can't really do anything to manage my symptoms myself, my Crohn's is particularly aggressive and as a result every treatment I've tried–which to my knowledge at this point is everything currently available in the UK–has at best only provided short term relief before losing it's effectiveness. If medicinal marijuana were a thing over here I'd be all over it, I've heard from people in similar positions to me have had great success with it where conventional treatments had failed them, it's great that it's worked out so well for you though.
    Infliximab is one of my many failed treatments unfortunately, it started out looking quite promising but soon started losing it's effectiveness quicker and quicker between infusions to the point that it just wasn't a viable option anymore. I'm glad it's helped you achieve remission, I know for many people it's an absolute miracle drug as well.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well I'm really sorry to hear that the remicade didn't take. When I first got diagnosed, and this is slightly in line with what this thread was about, my private insurance did to me what you health care may have done to you- they gave me remicade, and then waited until symptoms came back to give me more. This is really the way to do it to save money but it's actually bad for the patient because it allows your system to build up that tolerance to the drug. When I finally decided to go through the VA, they don't really care about the cost- if it helps they do it. So, the REAL way remicade is supposed to work for people with Crohn's is to have it on a regular basis. The idea is to keep getting it BEFORE symptoms come back. So, I get it every couple months.

That's just another example of how money is making people with illnesses suffer. However, I know remicade doesn't always work no matter what so that may still be the case with you.

8. CrovaxNL

CrovaxNL Well-Known Member

Sorry for the off topic question but I have been wondering about it. Why are so many Americans against obamacare? It seemed like a great idea to lower the overall costs sick people have to pay for their treatments.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Without getting too far into the political specifics, it doesn't go far enough in their preferred directions to please the left wing or the right wing, and not effective enough for pragmatic centrists who don't care which ideology it matches. It's arguably better than nothing, but equally arguably not by much.

10. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

The bottom line is it is a failure by any conceivable measure.

Everyone has ended up paying more from the government, to companies to individuals on it using the "exchanges" to get insurance.

It was pasting over a problem while doing nothing to fix the underlying issues in the first place.

Which puts everyone right back in the same boat before it was passed. It is too expensive and absolutely nothing has been done in regards to keeping costs down in the first place.

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:

Obamacare in it's current form assumes the main problem was people just wouldn't buy insurance, so it makes you get insurance. This has been a financial burden on many people and companies but other facets have helped people. The main problem is that it doesn't address any of the problems within the medical and medical insurance systems, such as arbitrary prices.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I realize obamacare isn't perfect but if it wasn't for obamacare I wouldn't have been able to even afford or get insurance and I surely would have died.
    I don't think health insurance should be forced on anyone maybe I realize there are two sides to that too.
    But when I was on disability and my husband lost his job if obamacare wasn't around health plans were thousands of dollars a month completely unattainable. Obamacare made it is possible for middle class and even poorer people to afford health insurance.

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, Obamacare has good things about it for sure and I know it has helped a lot of people. Medical pricing is just out of hand, which is partly due to insurance. So, it's a bad cycle of escalating costs.

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thank you for mentioning the video! I'M NOT SURE HOW HARD IT IS FOR ANYONE TO MENTION THERE IS A VIDEO IN THE OP.

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

:locked2: 

Politics, and all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.