Judge jails cancer patient due to inability to pay bill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTME, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Arkansas judge’s ‘debtors’ prison’ court jailed cancer patient over unpaid bills: lawsuit

Now granted we may not know the WHOLE story but from the side I'm hearing this is disgusting. As many of you know I'm a recovering cancer patient of more than one battle along with several complications.
    My credit is shot. We filed for bankruptcy in 2010 and will probably need to file again mostly due to all medical bills. When you are sick, you can't work, your spouse is probably also at home taking care of you so he can't work (or gets fired because he has missed too many days between taking care of you and your special needs child)when you can't work you can't bring in money to pay bills, AND you can't get health insurance. Luckily though some complain about Obamacare it saved my life because that was the only way I was able to get health insurance, but even with health insurance the co-payments, deductibles, out of network charges, it all adds up and no I can't pay it all.
    I've never set up a go fund me page or anything like that. I would feel weird.
    We should be helping people like this not punishing them.

2. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz #GiveAsukaAChance

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Words fail me at how despicable this is.

I hate people.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Obamacare was defintely a good thing. We should help the living.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  5. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Every time I read something like this, which is a lot given America's frankly abhorrent health"care" system, it makes me even more grateful for the NHS than I already am. Living with Crohn's disease for almost 8 years now I would be in an impossible amount of debt if I were American, and it would only continue to grow what with the whole incurable illness thing and the constant prescriptions, hospital stays, costly treatments, and surgeries that have gone along with it.
    The fact that some people think that this is apparently a perfectly reasonable and decent way to treat the sick is pretty fucking disgusting.

6. Starfire22

Starfire22 The PoohFather

News Credits:
    I wouldn't necessessarly say that. Personally i hate the things some people do.

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Sunset Stage Memory

News Credits:
    Note to self: When get Cancer, buy gun.

8. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I can see both sides of the argument.

If you sign your name or agree to a contract you are also legally binding as well.

Each side does have merit.

9. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I think the issue here is that there shouldn't have to be a reason to sign that contract. In the modern world, having any sort of illness should not be a reason for a person to run up huge bills to receive life-saving care.

There's no merit to this case - at least from the view of those of us who are fortunate enough to live in countries where we have nationalised/single payer healthcare systems.

10. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

Did anyone kneejerk reacting to the clickbait thread topic actually read the post? It's not about medical bills and healthcare costs. It's about court fines and a judge raising city funds through possibly illicit means. The cancer patient is just for the quick sympathy.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Basically they're extorting people for bounced cheques that for for like $30 into getting them to pay like $600 or more in "fees."

There's also this accusation:

Which is pretty damn shady by itself.

Can someone tell me what's in the video? I can't watch it here but I assume there's more details.

12. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am a citizen of The United States of America. I pay income tax, sales, tax, property tax, county tax, etc. I wholeheartedly support my taxes being increased and used to fund healthcare and justice for all. When anyone in this country is sick and needs health care or has a legal dispute and needs justice system support, we all benefit from covering the cost.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The judge says that the court helps these people set up a payment plan before resorting to jailing. But all I hear is "let them eat cake." If someone can't pay the city $30, what sort of payment plan is ever going to help once they tack on hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of fees and interest?

It's not legal to jail people over their debts, contract or no contract. What happens is that if they get taken to court, or if they can't pay some local fine or tax because of their hospital debt, the court then orders them to pay a huge amount in extra fees. When they can't pay the fees, they're arrested for contempt of court or for being in violation of whatever law required the initial fee/fine--not technically for the actual debt itself. It's designed to look like it has merit but:
    1. It's still a means of jailing people over their debts, which is illegal, and;
    2. It's a system deliberately designed to trap people with no influence in local government and continually extract money from them, instead of pissing off the wealthy and influential by raising taxes. They know the victim will never be able to pay off all the fees. They don't actually want $3,000 right now. They want to threaten you with further jail time so that you'll pay them whatever you've got once a month for the rest of your life. Nickel-and-diming the captive poor is lucrative over time.

There's plenty to be said in favor of profit motive when it comes to private business, but there are certain areas where it creates a conflict of interest and should be stamped out:
    -Police
    -Anything to do with healthcare
    -The court system, apart from private law firms
    -Basically anything to do with government

14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    agreed

we live in a very sad society where humanity is 2nd in line

if the person is put into jail, the person cannot pay their bills either

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Really hoping you weren't making a jab at suicide, because that's not funny.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I read it as "armed standoff with the authorities".

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And if a person is put in jail, it's a cost burden on society. It would be cheaper to use our taxes to pay their debt than pay for them to be in prison and use the prison medical system for years.

Anyways, horrible stuff. There needs to be waivers and guidelines when it comes to life threatening issues.

Also also, with what Flamepanther said, it is true. You don't go to jail for debt, so they will setup court dates and smother you in court costs and get rulings against you that can lead to jail time. Geico tried doing that to me. Usually they just want a settlement that will get as much out of you as they can. In these situations though there are lawyers out there that can help.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know you're making a tasteless joke, but the suicide contemplation comes long before the bills, especially if the radiation affects the taste buds.

19. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a cancer patient p,ease lets get off the buy a gun topic it isn't funny, when you have cancer you have to think about your own mortality, how is family going to go on, what milestones am I going to miss of my child growing up,
    And now I'm crying
    Please let's not go to that type of topic

20. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.