Josh Nizzi 's Transformers: The Last Knight Concept Art

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by maewlaay, Jul 31, 2017.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Would you rather have more names like Cogman and Dreadbot?

• Like Like x 3
  2. squawkbox74

squawkbox74 Mawile enthusiast

Twitter:
    Yeah they had little to no relation to their namesakes, Mr. Internet Tough Guy. That's my point. Because they've been doing this for years with numerous iconic character names (Soundwave, Arcee, and Prowl among others aren't just "random bots" by the way), but people are just now raising a hyperbolic stink about it after they did it to Hot Rod.
    You and everybody else go on about how TLK Hot Rod doesn't have "defining elements" of G1 Hot Rod. Of course he doesn't. He's not G1 Hot Rod, and he doesn't have to be.
    It's just a name. They're all just names. They're not trophies that will be tarnished by different characters using them in a different way.
    Your G1 Hot Rod still exists just fine with this new Hot Rod also existing. The same way G1 Bumblebee and Movie Bumblebee both co-exist. And how G1 Arcee still exists after they made Prime Arcee, who isn't anything less just because those money-grubbing, unconfident people re-used a name for a new character.
    Prime Arcee, Prime Soundwave, Prime Breakdown, Animated Prowl, Beast Wars Inferno, these are all characters that people very much enjoy, and they don't have to have traits of their namesakes to be good. Re-using names lets people do new things with that character name. They don't have to be just like their namesakes in appearance, but with a little bit of wiggle room like you imply.
    Keep in mind that if those money-grubbers you hate so much hadn't slapped a name on an unrelated character, we wouldn't have gotten Optimus Primal, who shares maybe some facial traits with Optimus Prime, but otherwise has none of the Defining Elements™ you described. Not even character-wise.
    Though really, I'm putting all of this into a response to somebody who thinks Ad Hominems are a rational response, so this probably won't even be worth the time it took to write it. Sad. Have fun... Getting mad at people over name re-uses.

• Like Like x 4
  3. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or there are just people like you who are willing to accept anything. If that's your viewpoint, then so be it. Mine is mine and it is that if a company is going to use a name of an existing character, then they should use defining elements of the namesake to inspire the new version. Failure to do so is nothing more than money whoring (and no, Optimus Primal was actually okay b/c they did use some defining elements of Optimus Prime to inspire that interpretation).

And I'd be just as happy to tell you that in person, but I doubt you live near me.

Yes, absolutely. If the characters cannot stand on their own without the name, then they don't deserve that name. That's pretty much using a name to money whore as hard as you possibly can.

4. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    So when do you think we'll see the full upload?

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Onslaught and Dreadbot's designs unfolded

5. OMP

OMP Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they did have something special in mind , given how they hyped him up. And I fail to see how Hot Rod failed to be interesting, he was funny with what little screen time he had, his weapon had an interesting and unique only to him at least in this franchise (STOP THE TIME! God I love that), yeah his character wasn't deeply developed but that's the thing, it gives the writers for the next movie a base to use when writing for the next movie, it's not like Hot Rod isn't his own character, he's more interesting than his G1 counterpart to say the least.

6. OMP

OMP Well-Known Member

First of was it necessary for the whole "I'd be happy to tell you in person" thing. Absolutely unnecessary and childish, that's something you'd tell to people on Xbox live when they argue on Halo...but I digress.

He has a point, and hate to break it to you, that's how all companies do it. Marvel does it, DC does it, all companies who produce similar products all nameslap characters

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lazlow007

Lazlow007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    20482158_126366301313993_5179504948638908416_n.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  8. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Now that is a Barricade head.

9. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does that make the practice acceptable? No, it in no way does.

And yes, it was necessary to state that. I'm just as happy to tell someone in person as on the internet.

10. OMP

OMP Well-Known Member

It is perfectly acceptable if they handle the character properly. Look at Ultimate Spiderman and Marvel's Spiderman 2017, Ultimate Spiderman was an awful show but they tried to handle the characters properly even though they were all still BIG nameslaps on characters that weren't like the originals other than design, while in Marvel's Spiderman 2017, just about all the characters are nameslaps and nothing more.

Same goes for every single Transformers series ever, some handled their characters properly like Transformers Prime, while others......not so much, like in Energon and Robots in Disguise 2015 (even though I love the show)

11. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My point is still valid though. It's not an acceptable practice. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened before, I'm just saying it's not acceptable. If a character looks nothing like the source character, then come up with a new name. They do it with super heroes anymore too (like you mentioned) and those fan bases seemed to get really irritated by it as well.
    I fail to see how Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2017 don't look like Spider-Man???

12. OMP

OMP Well-Known Member

They look like him, but they're not true to the character in terms of personality. You can't just argue about nameslapping when it comes to characters just based on appearances, its also based on the character's personalities as well. Starscream wouldn't be Starscream if he wasn't the conniving snake we all know and love, Optimus wouldn't be Optimus if he wasn't the wise, powerful, and kind leader we admire, its all about personality and development, as well their accomplishments throughout the franchise. Just because they don't look like the source material, doesn't mean they aren't the character. I mean, look at Hot Rod's characterization compared to the G1 cartoon, his movie verse is actually more interesting when it comes to personality and uniqueness, while Hot Rod and Radius and G1 were more bland in terms of personality despite their amazing feats in the G1 movie. So it is executable to name slap a character, because a lot of the time when that happens in the Transformers franchise, that character had little to no personality to begin with. And if they do have personality but a different design, they can still stick with the core personality traits and build off of that to develop into their own unique characters.

• Like Like x 1
  13. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I beg to differ. I thought those Spidey's acted pretty much like Spidey (but the Peter Parkers were horrible and you would be correct in saying they nameslapped him IMO).

In the TF movie, Hot Rod looks nothing like Hot Rod, acts nothing like Hot Rod (IMO), yet his name is Hot Rod. So to me it's a pure nameslap.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I dunno, he's pretty brash when he kidnaps Vivian the way he does, and he had that cockey attitude any time he used his time-slow guns.

He didn't not act like Hot Rod, but he was barely in the movie enough to get a proper read on his personality. I suppose him being such a borderline background character is the least Hot Roddy thing about him, TBH.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    Nice! Shame he didn't keep that head Design, it would have made him more unique (the final design is kinda generic) and carried over from the previous films.

16. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    So who all are we expecting from Nizzi? I know WWII Hot Rod, Barricade, the three Prison Bots who had tweaked designs, and probably Canopy's final design.

17. AhlGreen

AhlGreen New Member

Bumblebee is a M8 Greyhound armoured truck. They mess this up in The Last Knight by showing Bumblebee as a Mercedes-Benz 770K car in vehicle mode and a Greyhound in robot mode. Maybe he morphed when he transformed to be able to hide as a German car?

18. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

I know. The flood of concept art is often more fun than the movie itself.

19. maewlaay

maewlaay Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WW1 tank bot
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  20. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Amazing.