Jordan Peele Reportedly Wants to Direct a ‘Gargoyles’ Movie at Disney

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ShinGi, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

If this gets made i would be very happy , Peele is a very competent director and he could make a great movie

• Like Like x 1
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Stewart had played Goliath in a Robot Chicken Gargoyles sketch, which also starred Frakes.

Now, should Disney run the risk of Gargoyles being more a TNG reunion?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yes. Surely it is a risk to use a pool of fairly talented actors and actresses who have great chemistry together thanks to working on of the most popular science fiction franchises of the 20th century and who would not be very expensive.

Also I want a Gargoyle voiced by Brian Blessed.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Dumb psuedo-horror movie? Not only was it vastly intelligent, but it was also one of the best horror movies we have had in a decade. In fact, it is one of the best horror movies of all time.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! Interesting indeed.

I have some hope this time that a live-action Gargoyles might actually happen now that there's an actual "name" attached to the project (vs simply rumours/grumblings/made up shit by fans). Wasn't blown away by Get Out like many others were, but at least there was a certain something there.

And it's not unprecedented to hand the keys to someone without big budget experience. See also: GotG's James Gunn (hey, how about hiring James Gunn to direct??). A pipe dream for me would've been Guillermo del Toro but we all know that's not happening. I genuinely enjoyed TMNT 2: Out of the Shadows and the recent Power Rangers movies, so with the Gargoyles source material this should be slam dunk. Hell, you could map out a trilogy, with each film a variation of:
    1) Awakenings (natch)
    2) City of Stone
    3) Hunter's Moon

First casting prediction: nobody from the original cast will reprise their roles. Best we get is a cameo here and there. Studios want a big name or two to slap on the posters, which leads me to my second prediction...
    Goliath will be played by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. [how ya'll miss that?!]

• Like Like x 1
  6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If they do mo-cap, yeah, I could see that happening. His voice alone would not work at all for Goliath.

7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Actually yeah, Dwayne mo-cap'ing Goliath would be great.

Just get Keith David in there, somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too!

I adore the original show, but I'm wary of a modern movie just because Hollywood has a tendency to take beloved properties like this and totally f*** them up.

If there's one thing that doesn't need addressed, it's diversity. One of the show's hallmarks is its diversity, with the main human character being Native American/African American, which was still fairly unusual for a kids' show even at the time it aired. Hell, the relationship between Elisa and Goliath was the best thing about the show, with each of them knowing how they felt but reluctant to take the next step due to the challenges of an interspecies relationship.
    When Elisa kissed Goliath at the end of Hunter's Moon part 3, it garnered a big emotional reaction from me.
    Sorry if I'm gushing, but I loved that moment. :D 

I'd love to see the original voice cast back, but if anything, they HAVE to bring back Keith David. He deserves a fan campaign similar to the one Peter Cullen received before the first Bay TF movie, such was his contribution to the show.
    A movie would likely be based on the Awakening 5-part origin story, and I can see it working in a similar fashion with the awakening in today's world intercut with flashbacks to the betrayal and how the spell was cast on them.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude we get it, you love Get Out so much you wish to impregnate it. But EVERY TIME someone else expresses their opinion they didn't like it there's no need to keep championing for it's greatness like it's actual...
    Umm, no. That's not "factual" in any way.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dr Kain

Wow, it's like I posted an opinion. Amazing, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Look on the bright side. Gargoyles has a boxset and if a live action movie doesn't get made, (though i think one of the marvel directors could certainly do it justice) we'll never hafta fret about some greedy, soulless hack butchering it. It remains pristine for both old fans and newer fans.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    As much as I'd like to see Gargoyles continue, at the same time, I'm not sure it's the right medium.

Gargoyles worked because you had writers who layered mythology, past seasons of the show/premise, and characters who got a chance to develop all together. A movie doesn't really allow for that unless it's a big franchise and live action only complicates it further.

• Like Like x 2
  13. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Ummm, no. Phrasing it like an opinion would be;

In fact, I think it's one of the best horror movies of all time.

Which is not what you posted.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dr Kain

Was the post not under my name? If not, then my mistake, I thought it was. If it was though, THEN THAT MAKES IT MY OPINION!!! How is this such a hard concept to grasp? Do you need someone to post IN MY OPINION every time? I'm pretty sure common sense makes it easy to know opinion from fact. Hell, they taught this in second grade.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, that's what gave the series it's long-standing popularity to last as long as it did, but not all of that's necessary to telling the core "origin" story. All the extra bits with the Fae build up towards the series' "Infinity War", but I consider it highly unlikely much, if any, of that stuff would make it into the big screen format.

I'd fully expect a cinematic adaptation just to be a remix of the "Awakening" pilot mini-series. Gargoyles awaken in New York, fish-out-of-water moments, Xanatos and Demona scheming, big battle, end film. Maybe play around with Xanatos and Demona's roles/characterization a bit just to keep even longtime fans on their toes (straight-adapting Awakening would be boring), but I wouldn't expect an all-out mythological brawl-fest to ever happen. Maybe you could squeeze in some MacBeth to hint at that connection, without going overboard right away. Owen/Puck could make for end-of-movie stinger material.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    My pipe dream is that Peele, as a big fan, will get at least Keith David and Ed Asner back as Goliath and Hudson. I mean if they’re willing to get Jim Cummings back for Pooh and Tigger... wishful thinking!

• Like Like x 5
  17. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Taste

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    After that masterpiece that was Get Out. I'm down with this.

Jordan Peele cannot do no wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Can it be both? Can Dwayne play Goliath, and Keith voice him?

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    You don't use the Rock for motion-capture and then give him someone else's voice.

However, Keith David, while a good live-action actor, is too old at this point to actually portray Goliath.

I think they should just do CGI gargoyles without mo-cap (or use puppets, if Peele want to go that route) and then attach a voice cast. All mo-cap contributes IMO is enhanced facial expressions, which CGI can do fairly well by itself.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Perhaps Dwayne won't mind. Has anyone asked him yet?