Joints~

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kalel, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now heres the thing, im not quite sure i like those new(ish) slip joints(t/circle things lol) depending on there use they can be ok, but sometimes/most times they are annoying especially if they are even the slightest bit loose.

Now ratchet joints are usually great for solid movement and holding dynamic poses (but can limit posing)

Now ball joints provided they are well made and tight and best for great posing provided the are used correctly.

Lets hear your opinions or different types of joints etc, and any specific issues you have including picture if you can :D 

As always good QC can not go a stray.

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Personally I preefer bongs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol. but seriously

4. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pipes for sure, smaller than the bong, less invovled, easily conceiled, that's the ticket!

ok fine...I love the sound and mechanical nature of ratchet joints for bots but if I have to pick one it would be ball. They are so easy to repair it kind of gives them great life, even if you get a new one that is loose it just some nail polish away from fixed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  5. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very true, and its a cheap fix :p 

6. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are these "slip joints"? Can you give a few examples of toys that use them?

7. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I like a overlaping set of swivel joints. Like on ROTF mindwipe's arms .

You rarely get pop off with swivels and a clever set up can get just as much movement as a ball joint.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Ball joints are great for arms. The deal is when they get loose, they really get loose. So using them for knees and hips is not so good an idea IMO. Better to use 2/3 regular swivel joints (to simulate the same range of motion with a ball joint, thigh joint is a must), with maybe hip joints being ratcheting.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know what he's talking about. Galvatron and Straxus both have those joints, for some damn reason. They will slide right off during posing. Gotta say, also not a huge fan.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yeah, the 'slip joint' on my Darkmount's right leg tends to pop off, but the left one hasn't.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Same with mine, left leg though. Not a big deal, I think it's a good joint that minimizes the look of a panel line.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The T joint on my WFC Bumblebee's right leg comes off every single time I transform him. It's incredibly irritating. However there can be problems with any kind of joints; ROTF Scalpel's frequently cracked hip balljoint sockets are a horribly common example of this.

13. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i think for scalpels that lil housing to hold the ball joint is so thin it's bound to crack. i know the one i had did. i bought a second one still inside the box just to have one with no cracked joints. crazy glue didn't do much.
    on japanese animated rodimus, his hinge joint with the plug into the arm is a bit loose. his whole arm feels wobbly at that area.
    i like ratchets but sometimes they can be pretty tight and it feels you might accidentally snap it by accident. i think the best way to go is ratchet legs for stability, and ball jointed arms for posing purposes.

14. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I love Ball Joints, nice and tight. Ratchet joints are nice too though, along with swivel joints. I can't stand those slip joints though.

Oh, and I've heard some people say that if a ball joint gets loose, put some nail polish on it. Well, Universe Sunstreaker's left arm is becoming very limp, if I apply some polish to the Joint/socket, will he be able to hold his gun, or at least pose the arm so it doesn't just slump down?

15. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    It should, but if it doesn't just slap more glue/polish on it.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    My favourite joint is a type I first noticed on Protoform Optimus's hips. It's like a combo of a ball and socket with a swivel. They use it from time to time, especially as a hip joint. TFA Black Arachnia has them.

I don't like ratcheting joints.

I like swivel joints a lot. They're good on legs, arms, heads, waists, everywhere basically. You can't go far wrong with them.

I don't like legs to have too many hinge and ball joints. They can be awkward, and especially with some of the movieverse chicken leg setups. Only one of them has to be loose and you have a stability issue.

Part-popping is a real pet peeve. One of the worst part-poppers I've come across is the ROTF Ransack biplane mold. In theory I love that mold, but the part-popping really challenges that love. ROTF Leader Megatron is another offender. There's a very annoying triple arrangement of pop in/out swivel hinges on his big heavy arm. I'm of a mind where if a part pops off mid-transformation, I feel like I have to start the transformation all over again. Don't ask me why. It takes a lot of close attention to make sure that big arm stays on.

17. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    uhuh! lol

18. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Mis-leading thread title, I came in here lookin for some Joints!