Customs: Joint Oiling?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Question to kitbashers or restorers.

Is there a grease or oil that's safe to use on overtight joints? Normally unscrewing the screws a little would help but I just got a G1 Brainstorm whose hips are insanely tight and unfortunately aren't the screw in type.

I tried taking him apart to see if I can access the joints on the inside but that doesn't work either.

So I'm thinking the last resort is somehow oiling the joint. Some of my other G1 figures have creaky, overly tight joints as well but usually unscrewing the screws helps a little.

Any ideas?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would try either a graphite lubricant or a lithium greash lubricant, both of those should be safe to use on plastic. The lithium may be a little less messy.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I tried some WD-40 since I read that it's okay to use on most plastics. Worked really well. I just hope the WD-40 doesn't have any residual effects.

4. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

I've found using plain ol' oil also works. I have a (dangerously low) bottle of LaBelle hobby oil #107 that I got for work with my Lionel Trains. The same solution made Countdown's base wheels roll for the first time since I got him. Sewing machine oil was also effective, but seemed a bit strong. WD-40 is also effective, especially when you also want to de-rust a few spots. (Use the can with the built-on straw.) Other than WD-40, if it shouldn't be breathed, I try to stray away from it.

I've never tried graphite. I'm sure it works, but I'd think it also runs a risk of making the spots it's used in sooty looking.

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

You should be okay. WD-40 will reak havoc on parts that are clear, so keep it away from those.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah that was the main concern with WD-40.

I accidentally got a little on the cockpit cover of Brainstorm and scrambled to wipe it off. :lol