Joining the Mac family this week. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by VaderPrime1, Jul 9, 2011.

1. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I'm finally getting a Mac. A MackBook Pro to be exact. It's required for college and I get all the student discounts on hardware and software. Apple is also still running the "Buy a Mac for school and get $100 on the AppStore.

1) What is some good advice when changing from PC to Mac?

2) What some useful freeware or programs to have?

3) Should I do Office for Mac, iWork, Office for BootCamp, or a combination?

4) What's some good apps to buy with the free $100? (mainly programs not, games can come later)

5) What do I do about my iPod since I have to reformat it?

6) Anything you want to share about the transition or things that are cool to do with a Mac?

P.S. - I'm running BootCamp with Windows 7 also.

2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Got a Macbook Pro (brother and I saved up and bought it last year) and love it. And Firefox is compatible with it. Including Windows 7 (to start up Windows mode, hold Alt while you turn on the Macbook. You'll see 2 hard drives: one is Untitled and the other is Windows. Just point to the drive with Windows and you're good to go in Windows mode).

3. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

1) What is some good advice when changing from PC to Mac?

Give it time, it takes a while to get used to the differences. Especially "Cmd" and "Ctrl"

2) What some useful freeware or programs to have?

Temperature Monitor and SMC Fan control. Soemtimes things warm up a bit too much (and the case heats up like a bastard), this way you can easily monitor things and boost the fans.

Paintbrush. A simple MS paint type graphics program for when yo ucan;t be bothered to use PS or GIMP

Google Chrome. Beats the shit out of Safari (which is a resource hog) and I find it faster than Firefox

Handbrake for ripping Dvd's and doing video conversion stuff.

All2Mp3 All my old music on my backup drive was in wma, I used this to batch convert to mp3 so my Mac could play it.

VLC media player. Unlike iTunes this is a media player not a shop front and also unlike iTunes, it's not shit.

Others depend on what you want to do with it.

3) Should I do Office for Mac, iWork, Office for BootCamp, or a combination?

I do office for Mac. This means I don't have to switch OS's (I'm not tech enough and too lazy to learn) and still have document compatability when I take stuff to a windows machine. I used this a lot for my college work.

4) What's some good apps to buy with the free $100? (mainly programs not, games can come later)

Depends what kind of stuff you want to do.

5) What do I do about my iPod since I have to reformat it?

Dunno, sorry, my MBP is the only apple tech I own.

6) Anything you want to share about the transition or things that are cool to do with a Mac?

As per 1) give it time to get used to the differences.
    Cool stuff: I find the trackpad that intuitive that I have difficulty using a mouse instead now
    the way finder displays files can be set to show the containing folders in a clearer way than windows
    Oh and not having to defrag or any of that shit is nice too.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    On iTunes you should find home share and transfer all of your purchases. Look at the AppStore for all your ap needs. Also save 30.00 dollars for os 10 lion update that comes out this month.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Make sure you spend the money and buy apple care.

6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Thanks!

Ok, cool!

It comes with a 4 year plan when I buy it from the campus bookstore. :)