John Cena On Transformers-Verse In Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by pie125, Apr 4, 2018.

1. pie125

pie125 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    John Cena on 'Blockers', Getting Comfortable with Comedy & Joining the 'Transformers'-Verse in 'Bumblebee'

What was the appeal of that, for you? Were you a Transformers fan?

CENA: I was actually alive when they first came out and was at the age to enjoy them. I was a superfan of Transformers and the rival Gobots. I know Transformers is gonna kill me for saying that. To be able to see where the franchise went and where they are taking it now, I thought it was extremely interesting. I can’t talk too much about it, but I really think everyone who enjoys what they were, initially, and what they became, and wants to further the stories, it’s so very story based. It’s so awesome! It’s not too busy. It’s really a fun movie, and I think people are gonna like it.

It’s a cool idea because it can be a part of the Transformers world, but still do its own thing.

CENA: I think so. I think it’s gonna open up the floor, for people who are truly passionate about Transformers, to want to know more about these individual Transformers and the story behind each Transformer.

I’ve been a really big fan of what Travis Knight has done with stop-motion at Laika. How was he to work with, as a director?

CENA: He is awesome! When you wanna redefine the look of something and the feel of something, they chased Travis and really were a fan of his work, as well. I wanted to be a part of the film, but sitting with him and having a 45-minute conversation with him, I really wanted to be a part of the film. He has such passion and such a vision for what he wants to see. Even with this process, he sticks to what he wants ‘cause he can see it. It’s pretty cool, when you just have sticks and artificial stuff, but he sees it. He absolutely sees it, and it’s really impressive.

• Like Like x 7
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    It sounds like John Cena really likes this movie! It's nice to hear him praise Travis Knight so much, I'm not familiar with his work at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paranorman, Boxtrolls, Coraline, Kubo and the Two Strings!?! All amazing stop motion animation films.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

Anime Ja Nai

• Like Like x 1
  5. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I think this is the first actor so far who was actually aware of Transformers before the movieverse. Props to that!

I'm not excited about the movie after the last 2 disasters, but so far, we haven't heard anything disappointing so that's a good sign. I'll cautiously wait for the trailer before making any judgements.

• Like Like x 12
  6. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I've heard of them, I just have yet to watch them. I've heard great things about them, I definitely need to check out some of his movies soon, especially Kubo (since that's the one he directed).

7. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    I believe Tyrese Gibson said in an interview for the first movie he used to watch the G1 cartoon as a kid. Which had confused me back then because at the time I had thought Armada was the first TF series and didn't know G1 existed before lol.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Well-Known (?) Member

Kubo's a real solid movie, really worth checking out. Pretty sure it's still on Netflix, so maybe check there. Coraline and Paranorman are also great, albeit strange films that I didn't care for when they came out but have grown to love. Never seen Boxtrolls though, but I've heard good things about that one as well.
    Yeah, he's one of few. Bay knew of Transformers to some extent but his ongoing war with the Dinobots until he finally cracked and dropped them into AoE shows that he wasn't truly into the series. Good to see Cena (or... not see Cena?) showing some actual sentimentality. He seems like a cool, honest dude, and hopefully he can elevate the somewhat underdeveloped Sector 7.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Not to rain on his parade, but he does know that Bumblebee is the last entry in the current movie series, right?

• Like Like x 7
  10. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

11. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

I think, @Autobot Burnout, that John wants to believe he’s on the upswing of a new arc and not a pallbearer.

12. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Oh so Cena likes the movie? Oh gosh I didnt expect that! I mean wow, everytime a movie is covered by the media the actors go all willy nilly telling us how much they dont like the movie they star in.....

• Like Like x 4
  13. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Sounds promising. This interview came off very genuine and authentic and didn't feel like a hype/puff piece. It felt like he genuinely enjoyed making the movie and how the director is envisioning it. Here's hoping the final product holds up to that!

14. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, the story behind this TransFormer isn't his story at all so no - we're not excited. But by all means, keep promoting a dead franchise. Starting to seem extremely desperate.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Cena seems pretty cool.  
    Nothing inspirational about this movie though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    I don't actually have Netflix, but it looks like YouTube has it to rent for about three dollars. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vic Turton

Vic Turton Member

Are the gobots coming to the Transformers universe??

Cy-Kill would be awesome in a film.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Tyrese Gibson was a huge Transformers fan and loved being a part of the franchise.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Septimus-Prime

Septimus-Prime Well-Known Member

What\'s to look forward to this if they are gonna reboot? There seems to be a confusion if this is a prequel to 2007. Sector 7 is what confuses me.

20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    &

My guess is that when they were filming and making the movie the plan was that it's a soft reboot leaving an open door on one end while not closing the other leading to the previous films.

For all he and the cast possibly know, this is merely the beginning.

I'm thinking they're pulling a JJ Trek, here. It's all in the same timeline at the beginning, but something causes a fracture and creates a new alternate timeline with new stories influenced by events that had happened before.

Look, I have no hope for this film... I really don't. After TLK, I'm defeated and beaten down, so I really have no desire to see this one, period. That said, I believe the cast, their words and intentions, and I don't think it's our place to take their hopes from them.

It's one thing for us to be jaded and burned by it all, it's another to let our words and actions make it seem like we wish it upon Cena and crew as well.

What if they truly enjoyed it? What if they put a lot of effort into their work? Who are we to take that from? Let 'em have it. Geez.

• Like Like x 5