John Carter

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by fabexmax, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

It makes me sad that this movie is going to flop so badly in the end... We'll probably never get a sequel. This movie was actually very good. I went with people who do NOT like Sci-Fi, and they enjoyed it. Another friend there has read the entire series of books, and despite the differences he really liked it.

Disney decided to put zero effort into marketing this movie, and now it is going to flop all the way to no-sequel land. Bah... I had a lot of fun watching this movie :( 

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I saw this a couple of days before it was released (I work in a cinema) and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn it was boring. I honestly cannot remember the last time I couldn't wait for a film to end. I just lost interest due to the overly complex plot, incomprehensible dialogue (too many alien words and phrases) and loose editing. The parts set back on Earth were by far my favourite, and the film is bookended by some engaging stuff, but as soon as Carter arrives on mars, my interest began to wane.

Despite the fact that I spend 40 hours a week in a cinema, I still had no idea what the hell the film was about until I sat down and it started to roll. THAT'S how bad the marketing was for this turd. So much wasted potential...

3. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That's something that surprised me. I mean even that crappy 4th Pirates film got a toy line. But nothing for old Johnny boy.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

My trolling sense is tingling.

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Marketing a movie is probably one of the most important things to consider if you want it to be successful. They did a terrible job marketing this. They put out TV spots for the movie as early as December and they didn't really show too many TV spots leading up to the release. Plus, I only saw one advertisement that told us about how John Carter inspired Star Wars, Avatar, and pretty much every major piece of science fiction in the last 80 years.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    You know, I only have a faint idea of maybe seeing the trailer for this. And even then I think it was only The Prince of Persia trailer that I happened upon... they really just didn't care about marketing this one, did they?

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I was utterly confused for the first few minutes. First we see people with red tattoos and blue-dragonfly-winged ships fighting people with red tattoos and blue-dragonfly-winged ships, then we jump to Earth and follow the hero who promptly "dies", then we travel several decades into the past where the hero is fleeing an Army general(?) then saves said general(?), then we're transported to Mars and meet these fast-talking aliens who's rank, species, and personal names I can't keep track of, then we go to one of the peoples with red tattoos...

But the "Tharks" and the speedy dog-salamander-thing were entertaining.

This is the only ad I saw for this movie, which needless to say really doesn't say anything about the movie itself.